Zumba calories?

Options
Wanting to add 60 minutes of Zumba to my exercise and its not in the database. I have no idea how many I burned. Any ideas?

Replies

• scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a HRM - calories burned varies from person to person.
  • momof2sb
    Options
    zumbacalories.com i had the same problem last ight then go to the excersice data base and add it yourself :)
  • astermarie
    astermarie Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I did zumba and I put in dancing into the log and logged it under that...there is several dancing options to use :) hope this helps
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    I burned 374 calories in my last Zumba class and it was 48 minutes long. I weigh 129 lbs. You can do the math to figure out roughly what you've burned based on how long your session was and what you weigh. I've heard most people say that they burn 600-1000 calories in an hour, but I've never come close to that. I guess it's because I don't weigh very much and am in fairly good shape, so my heart rate doesn't stay that high during the class. I use a Polar FT7 heart rate monitor to track my calories. You should get one -- it's awesome!
  • craZdancer
    Options
    I am a Zumba instructor, and we were always taught that the average class burns 500-1000 calories. Depending on how much you shake it. :) The best way to tell is to wear a heart monitor. I always put about 700 in just for safe measure, but I am sure it is more. Zumba Love! =)
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Listen heres what happened to me. I would go to Zumba and I would burn on average 700-900 calories a class. Then, I lost all the weight and still do Zumba and now I only burn 200-400 calories a class. SO, I would HIGHLY suggest spending the money on a GOOD HRM, as that is the only way to pretty much know for sure what you burned.
  • shnazzy
    shnazzy Posts: 213
    Options
    i put it under dancing areobic
  • laurelbla
    laurelbla Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Most people over estimate the amount of calories burned. There is not much you can do do burn 1,000 in one hour.

Example, I ran Doak Campbell Stadium (home to Florida State) yesterday and in 45 mins, I still burned just under 300 calories!! That does include rest periods.

The most important thing to think about is EPOC. That is how much your metabolism is raised AFTER your workout. Studies have show that after an intense workout (again, Intense), that you can raise your metabolism for up to 24 or more hours! It's like driving your car. When you turn it off, it stays warm for a while.

So don't worry about calories and being exact, it will only depress you, but on the other hand, don't over estimate either.
  • mtnyr
    mtnyr Posts: 9
    Options
    You should invest in a heart rate monitoir that calculates calories burned as that will help. I do rumba regularly and burn about 400 calories in a 60 minute class doing the high impact options throughout. I use an inexpesive heart rate monitor and it helps greatly!
  • laurelbla
    laurelbla Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The other thing to think about is that as you become more efficient at whatever you do, you will burn less during the workout. That is why it is important to do different things.
  • Jazelita
    Jazelita Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I used this website to follow how many calories i have burned and add a new excercise. http://www.zumbacalories.com/