Sets or Reps

Options
I've heard some people say 2 or 3 sets with a higher number of reps (meaning lower weight) will help burn fat faster and make you more cut. Whereas 2 or 3 sets with lower reps (meaning higher weight) will help you get bigger.

SOOOOOO

If I am doing one single set with 20 reps whereas I pump it out every one or two seconds - do this have a value added?

Replies

• liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    I've heard some people say 2 or 3 sets with a higher number of reps (meaning lower weight) will help burn fat faster and make you more cut. Whereas 2 or 3 sets with lower reps (meaning higher weight) will help you get bigger.

SOOOOOO

If I am doing one single set with 20 reps whereas I pump it out every one or two seconds - do this have a value added?

If you are doing 20 reps per set you're not doing a whole lot fore building muscle. 5-8 reps to failure is optimal, 3 sets or maybe 4 if you throw a light warm up set in.

I don' think you'll burn noticeably more fat either way.
  • MyTransformation
    Options
    If you are after maximum muscle gains this article will help you by showing to you what the ideal rep range is, and more importantly why this is the ideal rep range.

The number of reps you perform in your weight lifting sets will prescribe what type of results you get from your training. Doing a low number of reps is the most efficient way to build muscle, period. Higher rep ranges won’t stimulate your muscles as well for muscle growth, and are more suited to gain muscle endurance with only a little bit of muscle gain.

But you want the biggest and best muscle gains possible, so low reps are the way to go. So how many reps is ideal for results?

5 – 7 reps.

Performing 5-7 reps per set has been proven to be the most effective range for muscle stimulation and growth. So this means you need to use a weight that is challenging for you to reach 5, 6 or 7 repetitions.

Whenever you are able to do more than 7 reps on a particular exercise then you need to increase the weight, and on the other hand if you can’t reach the 5th rep you need to lower the weight a little bit.

So put simply, if you can do more or less than 5-7 reps on one of your lifts, you don’t alter how many reps you do. What you change is the amount of weight you lift so that you fall back into that effective 5 to 7 range.

Why 5-7 repps Is Ideal
    There are a few solid reasons as to why 5 to 7 reps is a great rep range to use in your workouts to build muscle.

First of all, doing less reps in each set will grant you to use all of your energy and strength in those reps. The more reps you do then the more you will lose focus on performing them with everything you’ve got. Using a low rep range will cause the most muscle growth because you are training as hard as you possibly can, with the heaviest weight that you can use.

More importantly tho’, a lower rep range turned out to be better for muscle growth thanks to some basic human biology. There are two main types of muscle fibers in your body, slow twitch fibers and fast twitch fibers.

Slow twitch fibers are used the most during endurance type exercise, but they don’t have a lot of growing capability. On the other hand, the body taps into fast twitch fibers for shorter and more intense movements. Fast twitch fibers have much more capability for gains in muscle size and strength than slow twitch fibers have.

You see where I’m getting with this? Using low reps such as 5-7 will use the most fast twitch fibers because for these reps you need a short burst of immense energy to perform them. That’s what you want, the most fast twitch fibers utilized in your workouts. This is sure to cause the most muscle growth possible.

On top of all that, there’s another good reason why 5-7 reps is ideal. Using this amount of reps for your sets will decrease lactic acid secretion in your muscles. Lactic acid is metabolic waste produced by the body, and the less of it you produce in your muscles the better.

5-7 Reps For All Exercises?
    Should you stick to the rule of using 5-7 reps for every single exercise you perform? No, there are some exceptions. For example, the following exercises should be done with a higher rep range: abs, forearms, calves, and upper traps. How many reps is effective for these exercises?

I would highly recommend using perhaps 10-12 reps for these particular muscle groups. This is as they’re for the most part made up of slow twitch fibers, so you’ll need to apply somewhat more reps to stimulate them fully. But this applies entirely to the muscle groups I’ve listed, all your other exercises will build more muscle with 5-7 repetitions.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

SOOOOOO

Yeah that's kinda' old school and not really relevant anymore. There are many ways to lift so there are few hard fast rules as some may have you believe. Here's a recent article actually that discusses load, sets, and reps; it's similar to other material posted from noteworthy experts such as Charles Poliquin, Christian Thibadeau, etc.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/prilepins_table_for_hypertrophy

Here is a broad generalization:

Compound exercises: Bench Press, Military Press, Back / Front Squat, and Deadlift variations
    sets: 4 to 6
    reps: 3 to 6

Isolation work: i.e. bicep curls, lat pulldowns (this can definitely vary even more but a good start, auto-regulate once you're comfortable)
    sets 3 to 4
    reps 8-10

For example, you could do a chest routine that includes something like this:
    1. Bench Press 4-6 sets (minimum of 4) x 3 - 6 reps
    Accessory work:
    2. Dips: 4 sets 8-10 reps
    3. Decline Dumbell Extensions 4 x 8-10
    4. High to Low Cable Crossovers

If you want more of a pre-made program, Google Westside for Skinny *kitten* (solid for anybody), 5/3/1, Stronglifts 5x5 I've heard is good for beginners but I think there are better methods.

Some of my favorite Strength Coaches / Trainers that you can probably Google.
    Christian Thibadeau
    Chad Waterbury
    John DeFranco
    John Meadows
    Eric Cressey
    Charles Poliquin
  • windybaer
    windybaer Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks . Nice explanation that is very useful.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I have been using a 5*5 format for pretty much everything. That's 5 sets of 5 reps with enough weight that 6-7 reps on the first set is my max. I also try to increase my weight by 5lbs every session. So if its a week where I do dumbbell presses twice that week (I use a two program workout format, and lift 3x a week), and I lift 70lbs Monday, I'll lift 75lbs Friday. Then the following Wednesday (when that program comes around again), I'd lift 80lbs, etc. Sometimes this doesn't work for all five sets, but I call always manage one it two sets at the higher weight. If I have to drop weight during an exercise, I repeat the next session I'm doing that program, until I can manage five sets at that weight.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Excuse the typos please...posted from my phone.
  • ljc1057
    ljc1057 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Bump