How often should you buy new running shoes

Options
How often should you buy new running shoes. I read somewhere it's around 500 miles or so.

Replies

• chrisahubbard
    chrisahubbard Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Every six months or 400 miles.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Mine start breaking down between 300-500 miles. I usually start getting odd pains, especially in my knees, when they start losing internal support. I'll continue to wear them for walking for a while, but when the pains become an issue, it's time to toss them.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I’m in the 300-500 per mile camp as well. It depends some on the model and how many wet or treadmill miles.
  • grmreapper
    grmreapper Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks I have 2 pairs of new balance and just recently started feeling pain in my right knee usually starts after 7-8 miles into my run. Haven't kept track of how many miles I've done but I am sure I've done at least 400miles. Just ordered a pair of under armour and another pair of new balance since I alternate shoes when I run.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I start feeling it around 200 miles. They are dead by 300 miles
  • Sambo_fitness
    Sambo_fitness Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Easiest way to tell is look at the wear and tear on the bottom of the shoe.
  • richardpkennedy1
    richardpkennedy1 Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Depends on the wear. If you are light and have a smooth running style, you can go way over 500 miles
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Different shoes will wear out at different rates. You also have to factor in usage (do they get wet often, what surfaces, do you wear them everyday, etc). Plus, how heavy you are and how your foot strikes the ground can impact shoe life as well. Just looking at the bottom of the shoe doesn't reveal the real issues with foam inside the shoe.

In general, you can expect most decent shoes (not cheap *kitten* ones purchased at a big box store) to last 400+ miles. Pay attention to how your legs feel after you run. If you start getting aches and pains that aren't normal then it may be time to replace them.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    So my running shoes didn't have that many miles on them but age sure affected them and I needed to get new ones as they started giving me blisters. Its milage or age.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking weight might come into it a bit as well. I'm 200 lbs and start looking at sales at around 400km, making sure to have them ready by 500 km. Shin splints tell me it's time to retire shoes and the pair I've been using are getting awfully close.

They look fine to my eye, but I'm starting to get a bit of a twinge in my shin.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    i get 400 - 500 miles out of my new balance.

i can tell when they're nearly done as a start to get random leg pains, and the tread has usually worn down on the soles
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I run a lot and generally get around 3 months out of a pair of running shoes before I retire them to bootcamp. Probably around 350-400 miles
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options

Not sure why this was woo’ed, when I went to the professionals at the running store they checked my treads to see how worn they were.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    FL_Hiker wrote: »

Not sure why this was woo’ed, when I went to the professionals at the running store they checked my treads to see how worn they were.

They may have checked the tread to see how your foot impacts, and help determine what type of shoe would suit you best.

It's the mid sole cushioning that determines the life of the shoe, not the tread.

Although minimalist/barefoot running shoes have no mid sole cushioning so checking the tread would apply to them, and they will be good all the way up until the sole wears through.
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    As a couple of people have said, I know it's time to replace them when I start having a little knee pain. For me it's not terrible pain, just little twinges that don't feel normal. Several times I have lost track of how long I have had my shoes (time flies as you get older) and that twinge reminds me to look into it. For my Brooks shoes it seems to be about 500 miles... less if I have been running more on pavement and less on dirt trails.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I would not limit it to just knee pain. Different people run differently. Some may start feeling it in their shins, or hips, or feet, depending on how they run.

I would say any stress that does not feel like the usual stress.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i get shin pain if i wear mine too long
    my tread is rarely worn down. the cushion and internal structure dies first for me
    depends on the brand. saucony road shoes i get like 300. i get 600 on brooks.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    FL_Hiker wrote: »

I can understand it. Tread wear will indicate gait peculiarities, so might suggest whether one type of shoe is more appropriate than another.

Most of the wear in a shoe is about the midsole, the heel cup and the instep banding. None of that is visible.

• mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    OldAssDude wrote: »
    I would not limit it to just knee pain. Different people run differently. Some may start feeling it in their shins, or hips, or feet, depending on how they run.

I would say any stress that does not feel like the usual stress.

Agreed, I was just giving my experience. For me it is always the knee, usually my right knee.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Whoever said it was right.
    Different shoes, different longevity.
    Just like everything else: They engineer shoes to reach replacement at a specific time, and they are pretty good at it.
    Those new, $250 Nike Vaporfly shoes are designed for 250 miles.
    Point is: Ask the salespeople when you buy the shoes. If they are good they should know. Otherwise, use the google.
    When you get experience, you can usually tell when your shoes need to be replaced. For me, the sole breaks down long before the upper gets worn and I can tell when that happens.
    Course, I am a cheapskate and I go another 200 miles on a pair of shoes after I notice they are dead. But I also usually have more than one pair going at once so I am not running on the bad shoes every time I go running, which might result in injury and/or soreness.