DASH Diet

Options
Hey all! Anyone out there following the DASH diet and want to connect? I'm currently following it with a calorie deficit. Still new to it and making minor changes weekly. Would love to chat!

Replies

• SVZee
    SVZee Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I've dabbled with it and really enjoyed it, actually easing back into that style of eating now :)
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    What on earth is a dash diet?
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    DASH is recommend for hypertension and for cholesterol by the American Heart Association. My sister has had great luck with it. Very sensible and she finds it easy to follow.
  • SVZee
    Options
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Hey all! Anyone out there following the DASH diet and want to connect? I'm currently following it with a calorie deficit. Still new to it and making minor changes weekly. Would love to chat!
    Are you following the original DASH? Or the DASH Diet Weight Loss Solution? Same basic approach, just more tailored for weight loss.
  • SVZee
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Are you following the original DASH? Or the DASH Diet Weight Loss Solution? Same basic approach, just more tailored for weight loss.

The NIH website has different calorie modifications on it, didn't realize there was an actual diet plan separate of that. I'm currently doing the NIH's 1,200 calorie plan since I'm correcting some maintenance creep right now.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me to look at it because I need to get my blood pressure down. I reviewed it but haven't been following it. How has it worked for you?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    SVZee wrote: »

The NIH website has different calorie modifications on it, didn't realize there was an actual diet plan separate of that. I'm currently doing the NIH's 1,200 calorie plan since I'm correcting some maintenance creep right now.

There's a book (library) that has some good suggestions. The second book (the weight loss one) is a bit lower in starchy carbs. Good luck!
  • SVZee
    edited December 2018
    Options
    SVZee wrote: »

There's a book (library) that has some good suggestions. The second book (the weight loss one) is a bit lower in starchy carbs. Good luck!

I'll have to look for it next time at the library, thanks! I'm starting a short weight loss phase today, to get rid of some maintenance creep, and I just configured my food tracking area to follow DASH/1,200 calories. I've played around with DASH before, but was never really structured with it, going to be more mindful with it this time.

eta: I did modify the recommendations just a bit and upped amounts for veggies/fruit, since I try and get in around 800g of those a day. And since I gravitate towards a more plant based woe I'm doing a serving of beans every day, instead of just three times a week.