Side effect of LC or IF?

Options
I posted this on the Low Carber forum, so I hope it is okay to cross post here as well.

Hello all! I've been doing IF and LC for about 3 weeks now. Aside from being REALLY hungry a couple of hours before my eating window, I'm managing okay......with one exception. I'm having an issue with feeling faint when standing up. It feels like orthostatic hypotension, but I'm not sure because it's not just feeling dizzy upon standing up.

Most times I see black and feel like I could possibly faint, but I just stand still for a minute or so and it passes. I'm also having achy arm muscles and feels like rapidly beating heart during/after this happens. Like doing very normal things is a little more difficult, I have to slow down and then rest. After my eating window opens, this all passes.

Has anyone else experienced this? I've read about dehydration and loss of electrolytes. Yesterday, I took 1/4 tsp of salt, but it was right before my eating window opened, so I'm not sure it made a difference. I also ordered some SF electrolytes.

Can anyone tell me what they've done to combat this? I really don't want to stop IF b/c it is helping me keep my calories and carbs in check, but I can't continue to have these symptoms. Through the holidays, I will be working at home, so I can manage, but in the new year, I will be traveling to locations where I will be required to be on my feet and moving for a couple hours before my eating window starts. So, I'd really like to figure this out now.

Thanks in advance for reading this book and any help that can be provided!

Replies

• LiLee2018
    LiLee2018 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Are you getting in enough electrolytes?? Chug pickle juice, any kind of sugar free electrolyte drink, Mio water flavoring has a couple of electrolyte ones, etc.
    When I first started keto and even now that I've been on it a few months, I know when I need more b/c I'll get headaches or get muscle cramps. Hopefully it's something as simple as just needing some electrolytes that's causing your issues. If it continues, def get yourself to a doctor.
  • cinnygirl38
    cinnygirl38 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. I was wondering if maybe it's hypoglycemia also, although I'm not diabetic. I'm fine as long as I'm sitting, but obviously, I can't sit forever. I did order electrolytes and they should be here tomorrow.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,002 Member
    Options
    Low carb would be electrolytes.

Just put 1/4 tsp salt in some water and see if that helps.

Have you had recent bloodwork? That would sort out the blood glucose thing - if it is an issue.

I would go to a longer eating window for a while. A lot of women find 14:10 to be a better split. Try that for a while.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    In addition - how many calories are you eating? Some people when they start low carb or IF lose their appetite for a little while. So... electrolytes, longer eating window, enough calories. If that settles things, you can try slowly reducing your eating window afterwards. If it doesn't, go to the doctor. Take care!
  • cinnygirl38
    Options
    Low carb would be electrolytes.

Just put 1/4 tsp salt in some water and see if that helps.

Have you had recent bloodwork? That would sort out the blood glucose thing - if it is an issue.

I would go to a longer eating window for a while. A lot of women find 14:10 to be a better split. Try that for a while.

I will continue the salt. I did actually have extensive bloodwork done last Monday, and I'm just waiting on results. I'm currently doing 16:8, maybe I do need to bump it back a little.
  • cinnygirl38
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    In addition - how many calories are you eating? Some people when they start low carb or IF lose their appetite for a little while. So... electrolytes, longer eating window, enough calories. If that settles things, you can try slowly reducing your eating window afterwards. If it doesn't, go to the doctor. Take care!

MFP suggests 1200, but I'm eating between 1200-1500 each day. I think my calories are okay. I'm going to see how the electrolytes do and if things don't get better, then I will extend my eating window.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,002 Member
    Options

MFP suggests 1200, but I'm eating between 1200-1500 each day. I think my calories are okay. I'm going to see how the electrolytes do and if things don't get better, then I will extend my eating window.

Good. Passing out is dangerous!
  • cinnygirl38
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

You are putting weight loss as a priority over your hunger and your dizziness. This is unwise. You may be experiencing an electrolyte imbalance or it could be blood sugar. In any case, you should not be stubborn because even if you fix your dizziness if the hunger continues you do not have a plan that is sustainable. If the dizziness does not improve immediately you may need to see a doctor.

Whether LC and/or skipping meals disagrees with you or you are eating too few calories you need to manage your situation better. What happens if you faint while driving or in some other dangerous situation?

Don't do anything more than you absolutely need to lose weight. Adherence is the only reason to do LC or skip meals and if you are hungry then something is not working.

Thanks for your response. I did take some salt this morning and I didn't experience quite the dizziness I had yesterday. Also, I opened my eating window an hour early b/c I was hungry. Appreciate the feedback. Definitely not being stubborn, just trying to figure out if this is normal and what could be done to counter it.
  • holly_roman
    holly_roman Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I tried IF but found if I don't consume something every couple hours I start to shake really bad and feel faint. This happens even if I eat 2k calories in a day. I am not diabetic so I find it to be really strange. Because of this I haven't been able to do anything like IF..best of luck to you!
  • Carmen_TX
    Carmen_TX Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I’ve had that symptom on a pretty regular basis for a long time - pretty much exactly how you describe. About 10 years ago, I saw a doctor for it.

She examined me, did bloodwork, took my blood pressure, etc, and said there was nothing wrong with me, but also referred me to a dietitian. She also told I was fine. Since then, all my bloodwork etc has showed normal, but I still experience it at least a few times a week.

I eat 3 meals a day and snacks. My average calorie intake is usually at maintenance, sometimes a deficit. The symptom happens in both cases, but much more common when I’m in a deficit, when I’ve had less fluids, and/or when I’m relaxed.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options

I would suggest seeing a doctor, but assuming everything checks out and/or in the meanwhile, another option (either in place of or in combination with extending your eating window) would be to shift your eating window, so that you would start eating before beginning your period of activity, and then stopping earlier than you have been. Just a suggestion.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

I don't believe it is possible to just "THINK" the way to a fact on which a conclusion is based.

Are you using a scale to weigh the food you eat, AND, are you logging all that you eat and drink?

That's really the only way to know for sure. Otherwise, you are only able to guess and I think that's an unnecessary risk to your health.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your eating plan need tweaking, Do you have an activity tracker? Upping calories and carbs might be beneficial to you. I had similar symptoms when I drop to 2k calories a day. upped it to 2400 and symptoms went away. If alterations to your diet don't help maybe you should go see a doc and have a CBC, and CMP done
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    This isn't directed at OP but just a general comment. Although IF isn't for everyone, some of the symptoms that people describe above that they feel disqualifies them from IF does level or over time. I tend towards the hypoglycemic sides and would have the faint and dizzy episodes if i even ate a little late. I figured IF would be a nightmare for me. But actually, i started and after a month i stopped experiencing anything other than some mild hunger just before my eating period. Also focusing on protein and fats helped me avoid aggravating theissue. So while it really might not be for everyone, i would suggest to people to give our a bit before deciding because many people find their bodies adapt.
  • foxtrot1965
    foxtrot1965 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    This sounds like, vasovagal drop....I probably butchered the spelling. I had this a lot in my late teens early 20s, doctor said what everyone else did: eat more salt, caffeine. If your tests come back ok, try to add an extra cup of coffee to your day!