Walking Pushing a Double Stroller (or more)

Options
I have been trying to figure out roughly how many calories I burned today pushing my 3 kids around in our double stroller (my oldest stands in the middle :P ). The only exercise I could find in the MFP database for pushing a stroller says I burned 189 for my workout. Um, yeah, no way it was that few. :)

Anyway, i found this calculator which was more what I was looking for (and told me I burned 567 :P), so I thought I'd pass it along for anyone else looking to estimate the same type of thing:

Calories Burned from Walking (Pushing 75+ lbs)
http://www.everydayhealth.com/food-fitness/calories-burned-walking-pushing-75-lbs

Replies

• jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I would be very cautious about overestimating your calories burned. 500+ calories does SOUND better. But, you aren't doing yourself any favors if you overestimate. Do you have a heart rate monitor? You should really use one to get a better estimation of what you are actually burning.
  • PrfctGdess
    PrfctGdess Posts: 257
    Options
    Oh, I totally agree and I will always err on the side of underestimating my calorie burn if I'm not sure, just to be safe. :) But the entry in the MFP database said I burned 189....I know that is way too low. I was pushing 3 kids in a stroller at a decent pace, uphill a good chunk of the time, and by the end I had broken a sweat and was breathing harder than I do on my elliptical, so I was just looking for a calculator that would be more accurate. :)
  • gtmama
    gtmama Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    thanks I just used it too, found your link on a google search after trying for about 10 nminutes to come uop woth something. I was pushing a double stroller with 2 kids that would roughly add up to the 75 pounds on the calculator...might be a few pounds under. I think it sounds high at 510 but I know I burned more then 170 as I was really working! If I use the exercise search there is one for pushing a stroller, but it actualy says you burn less then just walking...I don't think that is very accurate.
  • saradalyn
    Options
    I'd love to figure out how much I burn pushing a quad stroller with 4 toddlers in it! I have a in-home daycare at take the kids out for a stroller ride every day. We' go for 30-60 minutes each time, and I push the pace quite a bit. I'm easily pushing over a 100 lbs! To this point I've been logging it as "mowing lawn with a push mower" which is the best equivalent I could come up with.
  • runningmommycrosland
    Options
    Thanks for this! I push my 2 kiddos, ages 4 and 2, and mostly uphill. I am always exhausted when I get back! So I KNOW that I've burned quite a few.
  • jenniek419
    Options
    thank you SO much for this link! i was just searching for a way to figure out how much i'm pushing with my son and daughter (in the infant car seat) in my city mini double stroller, i couldn't find anything! shes only 4 weeks old and it was my first run since having her and i think i almost died lol The stroller on top of being out of shape killed me! but i feel great!
  • melanieaxford
    melanieaxford Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this! I've been looking everywhere, too! The calc on myfitnesspal is WAY low. Not sure how pushing a stroller would be FEWER calories than walking alone! DUH! :-)
  • hannahrae1337
    Options
    You do burn less pushing a stroller typically. Not a huge difference, but it's due to not using your arms as much.
    For the same reason a gym trainer will encourage you to not hold the handles on a treadmill when working out, because you benefit your arms that way, and burn more calories when you have two more limbs workin' with ya. :)
    I didn't believe it initially, but my husband came along walking with me one day, and we took turns pushing the stroller. I always had a higher heart rate and felt more "invigorated" when he pushed the stroller instead of me.
  • MrsDeLaCruz2020
    MrsDeLaCruz2020 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Just what I was looking for. I have a 30 lbs 2 year old and 45lbs 5 year old and I know I am burning way more. Thanks!!