Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Diet pill, eat what you want

Read an update on this yesterday,
https://www.wired.co.uk/article/diet-pill-weight-gain-fat-mice
(The article I read was in Danish, and I cannot seem to find it in English)
and it seems as though scientists are moving closer to an actual pill for humans.

I'm just a bit concerned about the effect. While I'm sure it will would be nice to be able to eat all I want every day, without gaining weight, what will that do to my eating habits? Will I end up eating 3000+ kcal every day?
Will it mean I'll eventually NEED the pill to avoid gaining weight?

Replies

• ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Study if anyone is interested: http://science.sciencemag.org/content/361/6402/599

My question: what happens with fat-soluble vitamin absorption? They use the same mechanisms as dietary fats (i.e. the mechanism they blocked in these rats).
  • Screw that, I'd rather have research going towards myostasin inhibitors. (Half-kidding)
  • kbmnurse1
    kbmnurse1 Posts: 316 Member
    I mean really?
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    So assuming it works it is a pill that encourages people to waste food. Yeah....awesome. His about instead of becoming pathological about food consumption as a society we work instead towards viewing food as fuel and a limited resource because that is what it is.

I mean seriously..yeah, let's all overproduced food in developed wealthy nations and lower agricultural resources by depleting soils just so we can pop a pill and crap it all out without actually getting any value from having consumed it. Meanwhile in undeveloped nations people continue to suffer from malnutrition. That sounds like some sort of description of one if the levels of hell from Dante's inferno not something to strive to accomplish.

Reminds one of the hedonism of cultures past, no? Ended well for them.

Has anyone seen The Favourite? There is a particular scene that comes to mind.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    So assuming it works it is a pill that encourages people to waste food. Yeah....awesome. His about instead of becoming pathological about food consumption as a society we work instead towards viewing food as fuel and a limited resource because that is what it is.

I mean seriously..yeah, let's all overproduced food in developed wealthy nations and lower agricultural resources by depleting soils just so we can pop a pill and crap it all out without actually getting any value from having consumed it. Meanwhile in undeveloped nations people continue to suffer from malnutrition. That sounds like some sort of description of one if the levels of hell from Dante's inferno not something to strive to accomplish.

Reminds one of the hedonism of cultures past, no? Ended well for them.

Has anyone seen The Favourite? There is a particular scene that comes to mind.

I was thinking of the vomitorium in the Hunger Games. I'm guessing it's the same sort of thing.
  • MsBaz2018
    MsBaz2018 Posts: 384 Member
    Theres this pill going around and really popular with the women of asia. It's called Nakattakotoni it translates to (it didn't happen) from what i understand is that it eliminates/reduces the absorption of carbohydrates and makes it easier to maintain weight or lose it. I see my mother taking these pills right after eating carbs and her weight apparently stays the same. She said if she didn't take the pill then her weight would have spiked. Don't know anything more than that, but apparently it works.

So... Was she gaining weight before she started taking this pill? Or is she eating more carbs now that she has started taking them?
  • lakinapook
    lakinapook Posts: 14 Member
    don't they already have a fat blocking pill called Alli?
  • happytree923
    happytree923 Posts: 463 Member
    edited December 2018
    This has already been around for over a decade, it's called Alli. It blocks a certain percentage of fat but the side effects are oily poop and poopy oil leaking out your *kitten* after fatty meals. Needing a diaper to deal with the leakage is a not-uncommon experience from what I've read about Alli. If you're 'blocking' absorption, the fat has to go somewhere so I don't see how a different medication would work around this. I wonder if a carb blocker would be slightly less unpleasant because I would guess your anal sphincter might be a little better at holding back partially digested carbs compared to oil but in any case, why????

ETA from what I've read Alli really doesn't help people lose weight either. It doesn't block all fat and the weight loss difference was pretty negligible in the company's own studies if I remember correctly.
  • AutumLeaf
    AutumLeaf Posts: 126 Member
    Diet pills are a con and can be very dangerous too! They just make you crap out horrible oily gunk. I personally think they should be banned! I've seen the dangers of what they can do firsthand and it's nasty!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    edited February 2019
    So assuming it works it is a pill that encourages people to waste food. Yeah....awesome. How about instead of becoming pathological about food consumption as a society we work instead towards viewing food as fuel and a limited resource because that is what it is.

You know what would be awesome? An app to bring those diet pills from the front door to the couch, so nobody has to get up, ever. Kind of like Uber Eats, but for things Amazon has already delivered.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    So assuming it works it is a pill that encourages people to waste food. Yeah....awesome. How about instead of becoming pathological about food consumption as a society we work instead towards viewing food as fuel and a limited resource because that is what it is.

You know what would be awesome? An app to bring those diet pills from the front door to the couch, so nobody has to get up, ever. Kind of like Uber Eats, but for things Amazon has already delivered.

All we need is for Alexa to manage to get your door to physically open and for a drone to fly in with your diet pills. I'm sure this could be done (with a boat load of security risks...).
  • EvgenyP
    EvgenyP Posts: 19 Member
    If people want to take it, let them take it lol. I'm personally opting in for 100% effective weight loss technology = eating less calories than you need, to lose weight. I don't think diet pills should be banned as someone here mentioned. Being fat is probably alot worse and it comes with many comorbidities and loss of quality of life than some side effects from medication.