Same problem every time

Options
My biggest challenge is I get started, after couple months lose about 10-15 lbs, then a party comes up or social gathering or a holiday, and because I miss food so much at that point, allow myself to splurge. Well problem is, one splurge leads to another, before i know it, I gained back the 15 lbs I lost, back to square one. How can I stop this vicious cycle and not give up after the first couple months? :(

Replies

• iDad74
    iDad74 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have the same challenge. Trying to focus more on lifestyle changes than momentary diets. Self-control and discipline are key... easier said than done but there is no way around it. Try going to the party with a plan...maybe allow yourself only one slice of cake (ex.), Or eat before you go...or bring your own snacks.

• maria00200
    maria00200 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Easier said than done. They would starve or just eat cereal and peanut butter sandwiches
  • maria00200
    Options
    Great ideas everyone. Also I have a nut allergy so I had an idea of sprinkling a couple peanuts on their food (cook them separately) so that way I’m guaranteed to avoid it, but I’m afraid one day I’ll forget I put a peanut in it! So maybe not a good idea either.
  • Dilvish
    Dilvish Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Have you ever heard the old saying " Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

If cooking foods you shouldn't eat is sabotaging your efforts, then you should teach your husband (and your child if old enough) to cook for themselves. Worrying about their health and weight should not be interfering with your progress.

Ultimately that's really not an excuse and I'm sure you know that. Parties, dining out, vacations don't just come to a grinding halt when you decide to go on a diet. Willpower is the cornerstone of a successful weight loss journey.

And you have to frame it like that...it's a journey, not a destination. Eating less, eating healthy and exercising are all factors in losing weight and keeping it off. Using parties and your husband/son as an excuse to go overboard is not a part of that journey.

And finally, the ability to lose weight is difficult and we all know this. Perseverance, a positive attitude and the desire to succeed are what you need to focus on.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Barring any medical issues, the whole family should be eating a balanced diet, just in different quantities. My DH gets four garlic toasts, I get one. He gets served in a two cup bowl, I use a one cup bowl. He takes chocolate breaks during yoga, I wait until after to take share one last piece...

• JustMeJustEm06
    JustMeJustEm06 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    I eat the same thing as my husband and daughter. I just use a food scale and fit my portions to my calories. If I make something particularly calorie dense, I have some of that and make myself an extra side dish that I find filling. They both eat significantly more calories than me and it hasn't been an issue.

Yup! Absolutely this. Portion control is huge.

For a while I was cooking two dinners a night and got so burned out. Made it a LOT easier to make bad choices. So I just eat what I make everyone else, but eat proper portions. Also trade out sides because that’s an easy fix. Lots of salads in place of pastas or carb-heavy sides.
  • maria00200
    Options
    All excellent ideas
  • holly_roman
    holly_roman Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you. I do most of the cooking. No offense to anyone else that say "make them cook" but each family is different. In my family the "mom" cooks 90% of the time. That is true when I am at home or we are all at my aunt's/mom's house. It is a cultural and comfort thing. Anyway, back to the matter at hand. I don't cook separate food. I keep the meals full and rounded. I just ensure my meal is weighed and accounted for and I get the biggest portion of the veggies. That way I am never deprived of the food I like. I would go nuts if I was. But I also know my trigger foods, ie the foods I can't stay away from even after 1 portion. I avoid these all together unless there are triggers in place to make me stop. For ex I will avoid cookie dough unless I am making cookies. Then I will make the whole batch except one spoonful and put it all in the oven before I eat the spoonful. Can't eat anymore if it is already all baking in the oven. But mostly it is self control, failing, then picking back up to try again. Good luck.
  • SpicyWater
    SpicyWater Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling with living with a family who eats calorie-dense foods too - they all think I'm crazy for calorie counting, and they eat all my temptations!
    I've found that if I portion out my meals, it helps a lot. I work, so I plan my breakfast/lunch the night before, and keep the calories low because I know it's probably going to be pasta or some other high-calorie food for dinner. Personally, I have a 1700-calorie limit for my 1 lb a week weight loss, so I budget about 600-700 calories for dinner and dole out the other 1100 among breakfast, lunch and snacks.
    I also keep my own filling, "healthy" foods in the fridge so that I can substitute out something if I really need to.
    TL;DR, packing ahead of time does wonders!
  • LeannJeffers
    LeannJeffers Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I have gained half my weigh loss back and it's so frustrating for me because I know i am doing LESS workouts and eating WAY MORE calories. I love food, i love the tastes and the worse it is the more I want it. I don't like veggies or fruit. If i go somewhere and it's prepared i will eat the veggies. If only I could retrain my brain to like good foods.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    My children and my husband and myself are all what people would consider skinny. I make heart healthy meals for my family and when/if we go out to eat I usually let the kids indulge in stuff they don't get at home (biscuits, burgers, fries, etc.) They normally don't gravitate to that b/c it's not something we eat regularly. I guess I'm saying that cutting out some of the high fat foods at home could help all of you.
    If your husband or kids want to eat that stuff then you can make it for them on a much more limited basis. Are they old enough to make their own food? Just a suggestion.
    Don't let one "slip" get you back on a gain train. Letting one slip make you gain 15 lbs. is more than just a slip. Maybe you are restricting yourself too much to begin with. I find that not cutting out certain food groups altogether help me to eat what I want when I want, just in moderation. Yes, I'd love to dig into a French dip and fries for lunch and I know that if I do that I won't be eating supper and I'll probably feel terrible the rest of the day. Try to take it in moderation. I eat whatever I want, but within a calorie deficit.
    Log everything every morning, if you can. That way you know how much wiggle room you have throughout the day to snack or have a coke or whatever your major vice may be. You got this!
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    The only sustainable way really, unless you want to become a short order cook, is to eat what everyone is eating just smaller portions as has been mentioned. I also like the suggestion that you add a salad or steamed veggies to help fill out the portions to make them a little bigger without spending a lot of calories.