PCOS/IR need weight loss advice

Options
Any PCOS/IR sufferers who have found weight loss success that is not Keto or OMAD
Details appreciated

Replies

• ShayCarver89
    ShayCarver89 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and have had success in the past with Keto. Like a 75 pound loss success. But I gained it all back (my fault!) and have currently lost 32 pounds just watching what I eat.
    The only thing I can really say is that PCOS...the hormone tummy doesn't want to budge. I'm losing weight everywhere but my stomach. Which is very common with women with hormone imbalances. So just be aware that your tummy might give you a lot of trouble!
  • me0231
    me0231 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and IR and I needed a fairly aggressive calorie deficit to see a steady loss but I lost just counting calories.

I've done IF and keto and that worked too but in my experience any deficit works. My results were slower than expected for my deficit. So I think there's some truth to a lower BMR or something but at the end of the day a deficit will do the trick regardless.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I went keto to treat IF; lower carb intake equals lower BG and insulin. Weight loss was a happy side effect.

Low carb (under 100-150g may be enough to help with your IR. Higher carb diets do not help as much with IR as lower carb diets do, over the short term without weight loss.
  • anfmusicgrl
    anfmusicgrl Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I had success with just a normal diet. The main thing I did cut though was artificial sugars... sodas, drinks, etc.

My carb intake was and is a little lower only bc to have more filling meals and still stay within my calories, I tend to opt for more proteins or fats. Or, if I want seconds I go for meat, etc.

I lost 140+ lbs between 2011-2012.. I then had twins and lost what I gained plus 20 more! (-160lbs). I drank soda and all that crap and gained back some.... but still was 100 less than originally... and this past year have taken my good old time losing back the 30.

During these years I have found that my BMR is a bit lower than others and what the apps would calculate. I never can eat back much of my exercise calories. However, even with those losses, etc, ive not found that eating or cutting carbs sped up my real losses. I lost the 140 lbs and the pregnancy weight at equal rates... the pregnancy weight I lost on not as healthy of foods and not as much exercise... but same pace. (Between work, babies, and other things I didn’t track like I did before or now)

The big curveball though is that my metabolism and bmr and weight loss were more efficient and WAY closer to normal when I took metformin for my pcos. I’ve not been on it this past year... and I lose the same if I’ve had a good week where I eat really clean... or I eat half my calories in junk for a week. Hasn’t mattered... as long as the deficit is there.

Lifting weights is a HUGE factor for my metabolism though.