How to Be at Peace With Your Body During Weight Loss

Options
I struggle so much with trying to feel good about myself during this weight loss period. I get ready for work, look in the mirror, and am so ashamed of my body. Like, can I just wear a potato sack and call it a day?

No matter what I do, the weight is coming off slowly (and I have a lot to lose). I don't want to keep feeling like *kitten* about my body for many months to come. It's tiring. How can I accept my current body while actively working to change it?

Replies

• jojo19812018
    jojo19812018 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I feel exactly the same way.. it’s very hard. The only thing is to keep reminding yourself of how well your doing and think of the end result. Sorry I couldn’t help more. 😊
  • somethingsoright
    somethingsoright Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I feel exactly the same way.. it’s very hard. The only thing is to keep reminding yourself of how well your doing and think of the end result. Sorry I couldn’t help more. 😊

I'm sorry you're dealing with this, too. I do try to think about how I'm on the right track and the effort will pay off eventually, but then I look in the mirror and all I see is a body built from failure.

Weird that I liked my body better before losing weight. Like, hey world, this is who I am. Now my thinking has become nothing but critical.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I tend to be more critical of myself as I lose. It's fairly common. The middle part is tough, from a 'fat and gravity conspiring to drag things down' perspective. Hang in there. That gets better!

Don't let discouragement over things you maybe can't control keep you from making forward progress. One day you'll look and the mirror and not hate what you see - I dare say even like it 🙂
  • lemonita12
    lemonita12 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm so much with you on this. I noticed that I also avoided going out because I feel nothing fits nicely and I dread the holidays as I have not lost much so my nic clothes still do not fit.
    Lovely sugestions from the people above, unfortunately I cannot offer much advise as I feel I am on the same boat but just wanted to say you are not alone :smile:
  • cowleyl
    cowleyl Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    cowgoo wrote: »
    I found that keeping my appearance presentable, like having my eyebrows done, doing my nails and hair makes me feel more confident at the size I am while losing. I've also gotten some new clothes which helps boost my mood

That's exactly what I did. My weight loss was unbelievably slow (but I've lost more than 30 kg now) and I needed to feel good about myself or I would have given up). I focused on the things that I could control that would help me in that regard.
  • cowleyl
    cowleyl Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I struggle so much with trying to feel good about myself during this weight loss period. I get ready for work, look in the mirror, and am so ashamed of my body. Like, can I just wear a potato sack and call it a day?

No matter what I do, the weight is coming off slowly (and I have a lot to lose). I don't want to keep feeling like *kitten* about my body for many months to come. It's tiring. How can I accept my current body while actively working to change it?

I have lost around 70 lb and have about 30 to go. It has taken a long time. You don't need to lose all of it to start feeling good. Prior to committing myself to losing weight, I would wake up every morning and mentally beat myself up for being so fat. Once I committed, I would wake up each morning and feel much better because I knew I was doing something about it. MFP helped enormously. Even when I would have days or even weeks off my diet, I committed to logging every day. That kept weight loss goals on my mind. I also knew that if I didn't start, I would be much heavier in a year than I was then. I started at 127.5 kg and am now 94 kg. I still have 15-20 kg to go, but I feel fantastic. Good luck.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    This is one reason I use fitness goals. Sure, bits of me may be lumpier than they were 20 pounds ago, but I can hold downward dog for a full minute and still hold it again later in the practice. I can wrap both hands around my foot in ham string stretch. I can climb that hill without stopping like I had to last summer...
  • LiLee2018
    LiLee2018 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I'm 42lbs down. Still have about 60 to go and that's all I see are those 60 I still need to lose. I rarely see the change in the mirror. Sometimes I do, but most of the time, I just see the giant belly that will probably be the last to go. I still see the flabby arms that are still huge etc.
    I'm hoping that eventually, the way I see myself does change. I don't want to finally be at my goal and still only pick out the things I don't like.
  • AmyC2288
    AmyC2288 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Take progress pics and refer back to them! This is the biggest pick-me-up for me by far! Even if you still have a ways to go, you will still be able to see your progress and be able to appreciate how far you've come.
  • tiffanyleilarsen
    tiffanyleilarsen Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Doing exercise helped me see changes in my body quicker. I'm actually loosing pounds a bit slower, but I see the results so I keep doing it.
  • jryepin93
    jryepin93 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Exercise and trying on old clothes have helped me keep my sanity. There have been days when I look in the mirror and think I look exactly the same. On those days I go into my closet and pull out a dress I bought back in August that was TIGHT as heck when I originally bought it. Now, it's loose and I'll need to get it tailored eventually but it's a nice reminder that I'm doing something positive for my body and that it's changing! Despite what my mind thinks lol Also, take progress pics!!