Is long term weight loss possible?

Options
Ducks47
Ducks47 Posts: 131 Member
edited December 2018 in Motivation and Support
https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/obesity-research-confirms-long-term-weight-loss-almost-impossible-1.2663585

Hi all, so for background I lost 70 lbs as a teen. Maintained it for a couple years and then regained 20 lbs which I have since lost again. Now I’m trying to lose 25 more lbs to hit a normal weight. I just read this article and found it really upsetting. Anyone have anything encouraging? The article basically states its nearly impossible to have LONG TERM weight loss. I thought I’d achieved that with my 70 lbs weight loss and then I regained the 20 lbs which sort of proves their point, at least in my case. Not trying to bum anyone out.. my sister also lost a lot of weight a couple years but recently regained even more than she originally weighed which makes me nervous.

Replies

• SVZee
    SVZee Posts: 76 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Dilvish wrote: »
    some other fact includes the study was done in the US where obesity is a huge problem.

Food and profit are the reasons why people can't maintain weight loss. The majority of people are simply driven to eat out more and consume quick meals because of lifestyle or lack thereof.

The reason most, but not all, fail at maintaining the weight loss is because they are not making lifestyle changes. This is the biggest reason why weight loss companies like WW or SF or JC are making huge profits...they encourage dietary changes and rarely promote exercise or lifestyle changes. Why? Because if they did, their profit margins would shrink. They only want the weight loss to be short term because they want people to return when their weight has come back.

Look at it this way, if you really want to keep the weight off, you will. This study also tests willpower, which unfortunately in today's world a lot of people simply lack.

I leave you with this...they told Professor Stephen Hawking he had only 2 years to live when he was diagnosed with ALS. He lived another 40 years because his mind refused to give up. Willpower.......

I have to disagree with you-eating out is pretty easy to do while in maintenance (or even the weight loss phase), most restaurants have calories clearly marked on the menu now/their website. I actually find it easier to know calorie amounts eating out, than eating at home (where I'm making recipes and feeding multiple people in my family).

Why people regain the weight is a very complex issue, and as someone who's been maintaining now for a few years I have some thoughts on this, but this isn't the place for that discussion.
  • cariwaldick
    cariwaldick Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I've lost a chunk of weight before--and gained it back. This time it feels different. This time my mind is in it as much as my body. This time I know I'll never be able to relax my guard and eat like a normal person. This is my new normal. I had a good run of eating whatever I wanted. I've gorged on goodies, binged at buffets, devoured desserts, and consumed comfort food until I was twice the size I should be. I've avoided exercise and exertion, and had a good time indulging all those bad habits. Now it's time to pay.

I'm pretty sure if I don't keep this weight off, it will kill me. Here's an article I found about the subject.
    https://www.today.com/health/does-your-body-fight-stay-fat-maybe-research-suggests-1C9382286
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    I think maintenance is a tricky game to master. Lots of people can lose weight but keeping it off and maintaining a healthy lifestyle can be harder work than most people are willing to take on. I think you can certainly lose, and keep the weight off your entire life. You'll have to keep working and never stop b/c stopping means you will eat more, move less and gain lbs. Even as a senior citizen walking and maintaining some sort of exercise program, no matter how small makes a huge difference in people's bodies.
    You can do it. Don't buy into everything you read. Yes, science can tell us what is impossible, but why can't we tell science what IS possible with our own bodies?
  • Dilvish
    Dilvish Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    It would also be interesting to find out who funded the study. A lot of times big companies fund these studies in order to project future sales etc.
    Think about it. what if a big food company like Kraft foods, Pepsi Co., or Tyson foods paid for this study to find out if people will eventually learn to eat health and exercise or if they will be eating crap all their lives. If they study shows favor to the crap side...the food company invests in manufacturing more crap and their profits increase....
  • cariwaldick
    cariwaldick Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    The reason some of these articles are important, is it lets us know what we're up against. Without that heads-up on the likelihood of failure, I might be tempted to slack off when I reach my goal. People are fond of talking about the real world, enjoying life, treating yourself, and imagining a time when the diet and exercise will be behind them. That is a set-up for failure. I keep saying, this is my new normal. My calories may shift, but my vigilance never can.

It's possible to make a life-long change. The odds may be stacked against me, but so what? Don't tell me I can't do something, because I'll prove you wrong!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Personally I think that many people view weight loss as a temporary goal. So they follow some diet or restrictive way of eating and exercising until they reach that goal, then they go back to their normal. Whereas if you want to lose weight and keep it off for life, you have to make lifestyle changes that you can and want to maintain for.. life. So think small sustainable changes that you can make, and make those changes fit into your lifestyle and personal preferences.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    The article is poorly worded. Long term loss is not biologically impossible, but many (most) people find it mentally impossible because it is so hard to change habits. I've maintained for 2 years and many people on here have maintained much longer. That's why we talk about lifestyle change. You really do have to make permanent changes because society, and I suppose our natural tendencies, make it easier to gain than to lose or maintain.