Vietnamese Summer Rolls (Cooking Light)

TamTastic
TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
edited September 19 in Recipes
This is one of my favorite things to get when out to dinner at my favorite Asian restaurant. I think I may attempt to make them myself! SO light and refreshing!

Vietnamese Summer Rolls

This refreshing no-cook summer roll recipe offers menu flexibility: Serving two rolls constitutes an entrée, or you can serve one as an appetizer. Either way, the zesty, delicious dipping sauce is a must.

Water tally: 3 ounces.

Rolls:
1 cup thinly sliced Bibb lettuce
1/2 cup bean sprouts
1/2 cup cooked bean threads (cellophane noodles, about 1 ounce uncooked)
1/2 cup shredded carrot
1/4 cup chopped green onions (about 2)
1/4 cup thinly sliced basil
1/4 cup chopped mint
6 ounces cooked peeled and deveined shrimp, coarsely chopped
8 (8-inch) round sheets rice paper

Dipping sauce:
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (about 1 lime)
1 teaspoon chile paste with garlic (such as sambal oelek)
1 teaspoon low-sodium soy sauce

1. To prepare the rolls, combine the first 8 ingredients.

2. Add hot water to a large, shallow dish to a depth of 1 inch. Place 1 rice paper sheet in dish; let stand 30 seconds or just until soft. Place sheet on a flat surface. Arrange 1/3 cup shrimp mixture over half of sheet, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Folding sides of sheet over filling and starting with filled side, roll up jelly-roll fashion. Gently press seam to seal. Place roll, seam side down, on a serving platter (cover to keep from drying). Repeat procedure with remaining shrimp mixture and rice paper sheets.

3. To prepare dipping sauce, combine sugar and remaining ingredients; stir with a whisk. Serve with summer rolls.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 rolls and about 1 1/2 tablespoons dipping sauce)

CALORIES 164 (5% from fat); FAT 0.9g (sat 0.2g,mono 0.1g,poly 0.3g); IRON 2.2mg; CHOLESTEROL 83mg; CALCIUM 43mg; CARBOHYDRATE 27.1g; SODIUM 206mg; PROTEIN 12.3g; FIBER 1.2g

Cooking Light, AUGUST 2008

summer-rolls-ck-1823335-l.jpg

Replies

• TamTastic
    This is one of my favorite things to get when out to dinner at my favorite Asian restaurant. I think I may attempt to make them myself! SO light and refreshing!

Vietnamese Summer Rolls

This refreshing no-cook summer roll recipe offers menu flexibility: Serving two rolls constitutes an entrée, or you can serve one as an appetizer. Either way, the zesty, delicious dipping sauce is a must.

Water tally: 3 ounces.

Rolls:
    1 cup thinly sliced Bibb lettuce
    1/2 cup bean sprouts
    1/2 cup cooked bean threads (cellophane noodles, about 1 ounce uncooked)
    1/2 cup shredded carrot
    1/4 cup chopped green onions (about 2)
    1/4 cup thinly sliced basil
    1/4 cup chopped mint
    6 ounces cooked peeled and deveined shrimp, coarsely chopped
    8 (8-inch) round sheets rice paper

Dipping sauce:
    1 tablespoon sugar
    2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
    2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (about 1 lime)
    1 teaspoon chile paste with garlic (such as sambal oelek)
    1 teaspoon low-sodium soy sauce

1. To prepare the rolls, combine the first 8 ingredients.

2. Add hot water to a large, shallow dish to a depth of 1 inch. Place 1 rice paper sheet in dish; let stand 30 seconds or just until soft. Place sheet on a flat surface. Arrange 1/3 cup shrimp mixture over half of sheet, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Folding sides of sheet over filling and starting with filled side, roll up jelly-roll fashion. Gently press seam to seal. Place roll, seam side down, on a serving platter (cover to keep from drying). Repeat procedure with remaining shrimp mixture and rice paper sheets.

3. To prepare dipping sauce, combine sugar and remaining ingredients; stir with a whisk. Serve with summer rolls.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 rolls and about 1 1/2 tablespoons dipping sauce)

CALORIES 164 (5% from fat); FAT 0.9g (sat 0.2g,mono 0.1g,poly 0.3g); IRON 2.2mg; CHOLESTEROL 83mg; CALCIUM 43mg; CARBOHYDRATE 27.1g; SODIUM 206mg; PROTEIN 12.3g; FIBER 1.2g

Cooking Light, AUGUST 2008

summer-rolls-ck-1823335-l.jpg
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Something tells me we will be seeing a LOT of recipes from you in the next 6 months!:wink::laugh:
  • TamTastic
    Something tells me we will be seeing a LOT of recipes from you in the next 6 months!:wink::laugh:
    And the recipes I post are dictated by my cravings! :wink: :laugh:
  • danigirlmck
    danigirlmck Posts: 18 Member
    TamTastic
    I made a version of these last night. They were so yummy, but I am still perfecting the wrapping of the rice paper. It is much harder than it seems. I made mine with chicken breast, but I have also made them with cooked shrimp. My only down fall when having these is I must have peanut dipping sauce and that is not so healthy. Anyways good luck wrapping those rolls.

Dani
  • jdelisle
    jdelisle Posts: 1,050 Member
    Bump
  • These look delicious! Thanks :)
This discussion has been closed.