Want to exercise but can't

Options
I'm at my wit's end with being sick of being totally sedentary. But I have no idea how I can manage to exercise. Here are my constraints:

Work minimum 8 hours a day, no breaks, total commute 3 hours
5 herniated discs in spine
Sciatica
Severe nerve pain and tendonitis in hands and wrists from computer-related job
Severe childhood fracture of left tib/fib, tons of metal, RSD, can't do anything high-impact (like running) or I get shooting pains
Spine cannot do percussive dances like Zumba
No pool access
No gym classes except during my work hours
Extreme allergies restrict walking

What the heck can I do? I miss exercise.

Replies

• urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    water. start by simply floating -there are pools in high schools. gyms ym or ywca. pools are all over. find one.
  • IHateMyThyroid
    IHateMyThyroid Posts: 23 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I'll definitely see my doctor as soon as I can. The real kicker has been--the jerk who hit me with their F-550 commercial truck did it when I was only 90 days into a new job. AKA Not Eligible for FMLA. And it's PTO accrual and no PTO donation. So I've been suffering with practically no medical treatment on the discs for a year waiting to qualify for FMLA (whole year, because the two at the base of the spine were a completely different uninsured rear-ender just after Thanksgiving 2017, so I only got chiropractic before I had to start the new job on New Year's). Next doctor appointment is Jan. 2, and at that point I expect him to write at least a month of FMLA, plus the two weeks right after that for repairing the meniscus tear.

I've gained 20 pounds in a year and am in hideous pain. I'm definitely open to steroid shots, but I won't consent to a fusion, no matter what. The success stats are just too low.

Also can't do any high-impact anything because of the leg. That happened when I was 13 and isn't ever going to get better than it is.

I HATE being this fat. I've never gained 20 pounds in only a year! While barely eating--over in Diet there's threads about my yearlong struggle to succeed in eating something, anything, at the office. Sob.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Check with your local YMCA, you gotta get in the water. Nothing is better!! I used to lifeguard there and saw all sorts of people with injuries, they told me the water helped like you wouldn’t believe. If you are on a low income the YMCA will usually assist you.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Would indoor cycling work for you? No impact, no allergens....
    Rowing machine also an option but may be more problematic for your herniations depending on location and severity.

I can't tolerate impact exercise like running due to knee and spinal injuries but I can cycle a lot, a mile of running causes more pain and issues than 100 miles of cycling.

How come no breaks in your 8hr day?
    Can you build more general activity into your day? (Stairs not elevators, talk to people not email etc. etc.)
  • IHateMyThyroid
    IHateMyThyroid Posts: 23 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I really appreciate everyone's support. It's making it easier to not hate myself for not being able to exercise with this level of injury. I hope that someday I can get better and convert those dang 20 pounds to muscle.

The nearest YMCA is a 30 minute drive. . .in the wrong direction relative to work. With pool only open during working or commuting hours. It's a pretty remote exurban neighborhood.

Not able to buy an indoor cycle or similar since my apartment is too small to fit it, and there's a rule against putting exercise equipment on the balcony.

How come no breaks? Because my HR department is evil. There's theoretically lunch but it's unpaid, so I'd be staying even later. Plus it's not physically possible to get to a gym, change into gym clothes, work out 20 minutes, slap on some waterless shower, change back, and get back in the office without being a moment past 1 hour out of your desk or you get fined an hour of enforced PTO for late from lunch. And you didn't eat in that hour either.

No stairs--single-floor building. I do get up when I need to talk to someone else in the office, but my job is 100% computer. Unless I legit need to speak to someone about business, getting up from my desk = not working. (Obviously, writing this post is Not Working also if I'm caught, but it's a lot less visible, and I pretty much never have an actual 8 hours of work assigned so I have to find ways to fill my time card that aren't noticeable.)
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    If you would like to walk but can't do it outside:
    Have you tried the "Leslie Sansone's Walk at Home" videos on YouTube?
    (e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njeZ29umqVE&app=desktop ).
    Disclaimer: I haven't tried them myself (fortunately nothing prevents me from running outside). But I read a lot of people recommending them here. You don't neef equipment or much space.
  • Sambo_fitness
    Sambo_fitness Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Definitely check with your doctor and possibly a physical therapist to see what they recommend. As a personal trainer, I would refer you to do so before working with you.

With that said, once you find out what your doctor says, a couple places you could start on your own could be yoga, machines such as the elliptical or cycling, and anything else that your doctor would recommend. Water aerobics would be amazing as well, but you said you do not have access. Start slow!
  • _aenyeweddien_
    _aenyeweddien_ Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I really appreciate everyone's support. It's making it easier to not hate myself for not being able to exercise with this level of injury. I hope that someday I can get better and convert those dang 20 pounds to muscle.

The nearest YMCA is a 30 minute drive. . .in the wrong direction relative to work. With pool only open during working or commuting hours. It's a pretty remote exurban neighborhood.

Not able to buy an indoor cycle or similar since my apartment is too small to fit it, and there's a rule against putting exercise equipment on the balcony.

How come no breaks? Because my HR department is evil. There's theoretically lunch but it's unpaid, so I'd be staying even later. Plus it's not physically possible to get to a gym, change into gym clothes, work out 20 minutes, slap on some waterless shower, change back, and get back in the office without being a moment past 1 hour out of your desk or you get fined an hour of enforced PTO for late from lunch. And you didn't eat in that hour either.

No stairs--single-floor building. I do get up when I need to talk to someone else in the office, but my job is 100% computer. Unless I legit need to speak to someone about business, getting up from my desk = not working. (Obviously, writing this post is Not Working also if I'm caught, but it's a lot less visible, and I pretty much never have an actual 8 hours of work assigned so I have to find ways to fill my time card that aren't noticeable.)

Isn't that illegal to work more than 5h without taking a break?

To be honest, I've been in a similar situation and I decided to change jobs, 3h commute is a killer and used to make me more tired than whole day at work. Any chance you could move closer to work or look for something else?
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I would talk to your doctor and get a referral for physical therapy. Your physical and pain issues are more complicated than most of us on MFP are qualified to assess.

If you want to try something in the meantime (and I am not a doctor), you could start with YouTube videos. I like "Yoga with Adrienne" for something low-impact and stress-relieving. You can also do basic bodyweight workouts at home, but again, get clearance from a doctor or a PT first.
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Chair yoga
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

Maybe I drive a lot but 30 minutes isn’t that bad.... they’re usually open very early in the morning so people can get their workout in before work. I used to open our pool around 4am. There will always be excuses, you’ve just gotta get up and do it.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Eat in a deficit for your weight and strength train on a program you can complete and adhere to.

That would take less than a hour a day, 3x a week. Lots of benefits to doing both.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    there are lots of low-impact you tube videos available that you can use at home; the walking by leslie sansome (as someone mentioned above)

the thing i've observed with both this post and your previous one - you have a lot of issues in your life, but you need to be able to develop coping skills that will enable you to address them (referring back to your one about thyroid meds and being able to eat)
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options

Isn't that illegal to work more than 5h without taking a break?

To be honest, I've been in a similar situation and I decided to change jobs, 3h commute is a killer and used to make me more tired than whole day at work. Any chance you could move closer to work or look for something else?

It depends on the state (or country, I suppose). Here in good old Oklahoma, employers are not required to give any breaks no matter the amount of time. The only requirement is that if they DO decide to give a lunch break, if it isn't completely work free, then they have to pay you for it. It's real fun finding that out after moving from a state that actually cares about employee rights :|
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options

Ok, so you're not like an air traffic controller who cannot leave the desk. In that case, drink more water and pee more. This won't add a meaningful amount of calories, but it is good for your body to take breaks from sitting.

If HR is evil enough to complain, get a note from your doctor.
  • Nomotivationalldiscipline
    Options
    Find a mall or 24hr wal-mart and walk laps around that. It's free and open 24hrs and you won't have to worry about allergies. You could even help out by telling the manager what you're doing and put away the reshop goods they ppl bring to the register and decide not to buy. Or you could go to the parking lot and clear all the shopping carts. Get one at a time and push it back into the store until there aren't any level. Your options are endless.