How to recover whole box of chocolates and chocolate pancakes!

Yep tom (sorry gentleman) and started on the green and black pralines then moved onto the kids pancakes- devoured the lot. Have been so hungry today and looked at the calendar and time of month no excuse but looking for motivation to get back on track- annoyed with myself but also slightly happy as I enjoyed the sugar rush!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    just go back to a deficit tomorrow.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    To build on @kimny72's comment (listen to her, BTW. She's one smart cookie), I also eat at maintenance for the 2-3 days right before my period when I get ravenous. I also don't worry about my macros too much. If eating at maintenance calories those days keeps me from freaking out and binging on all the things, then it's going to set me up for long-term success. And long-term success is my goal, not temporary weight loss.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    The most empowering thing for me has been that tracking my weight and food has helped with actually seeing the patterns emerge. Now I know when I'm likely to be more hungry and react accordingly (like @kimny72 and @quiksylver296 said) versus feeling blindsided by the hormonal hunger monster.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    The most empowering thing for me has been that tracking my weight and food has helped with actually seeing the patterns emerge. Now I know when I'm likely to be more hungry and react accordingly (like @kimny72 and @quiksylver296 said) versus feeling blindsided by the hormonal hunger monster.

Right?!? My Clue app (menstrual cycle tracker) has helped a lot with this. Ovulation gets me sometimes, too. It's nice to think "WTF, why am I starving? TOM isn't due," open my Clue app, and lookee there, ovulation.
  • Great replies thank you!
    Yep I probably should find another hobby hormonal eating is a nightmare (as are the moods etc that come with it). I think a key mistake was I was suddenly hungry and ate everything slightly yum and I’m not very good at just one from a large packet. I don’t deprive myself by any means I actually have chocolate every day, but a portioned off piece and usually dark.

Vingogly that is reassuring although my dietary intake didn’t stop there - but actually a really good point, I’ve at worst gained one pound and can just get back on it. It’s so move to have the perspective and thank you for looking up the jacks for me too!

!
    just go back to a deficit tomorrow.
    Log and move on - one day won’t ruin you

Also really helps place it in perspective and such great support thank you. It’s so easy to feel down about it and think blow it who cares.... (obviously I do care).
    pinuplove wrote: »

Right?!? My Clue app (menstrual cycle tracker) has helped a lot with this. Ovulation gets me sometimes, too. It's nice to think "WTF, why am I starving? TOM isn't due," open my Clue app, and lookee there, ovulation.

I do track my monthly joy, and that’s how I (sort of sighed relief) when saw one to two days away. It’s horrible makes me feel so different . I had loads of stuff in the house that I haven’t been bothered about over past few weeks as have been happily following plan still loving my food but making wiser choices. It was just I was in the same room as these wretched pralines and through I’ll have one then realised I was hungry/v hungry and ate everything as confesses earlier.

I have recently been feeling much better reducing the carbs to some extent - more adding more protein to my lunch and it has helped me to feel much fuller. Today I didn’t do that, had a long journey in the car and little sleep all didn’t help.

It’s annoying that every month I have to dread the weight gain. I think I would find 2000 kcal restricted when I feel as I have today. These cravings are definitely worsening at Tom as I’ve got older grrrr.
  • pinuplove wrote: »

Interesting my husband does this as his weights are recorded by the scales and he can look at a graph over the years.. it’s very clever not sure why I haven’t done this over the years
  • It’s a little frustrating thinking of all my hard work to date and how long a minor deficit takes to make up for the additional intake.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    I'm not big into excuses...you never really change when you excuse mistakes away as not really being your choice.
    You can't justify every month binging as if you can't control it.. because you can. If you do it.. just accept it and move on and learn from it..but you won't learn and succeed if you think Mother Nature made you do it. She didn't.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    It’s a little frustrating thinking of all my hard work to date and how long a minor deficit takes to make up for the additional intake.

Have you measured exactly how much the additional intake is?

Looking at your weekly goal it's probably not even that much?
  • I don’t input my kcal I aim for 1800 per day I try not to overeat generally. I agree with the excuses issue and understand frustrating to witness too however I’m fine the rest of the month so hormones are definitely majorly impacting or else why wouldn’t I feel that way the rest of the month too.

But some great support on here on how to manage it * I may actually aim slightly above my requirements before tom 2100 kcal - much better than overeating. Thanks again
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Also your BMR increases when you're on your period so I see eating at maintenance as justified for those few ridiculously hungry days.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    edited December 2018
    If it helps, take a look at my data for the last 90 days:

kt7oaknkljs0.png

About a half-dozen maintenance days and six days over maintenance, 4 of those being way over maintenance. Still lost weight. It was slower than normal (lost 3 pounds this past month and only 1 the month before). But heck, even with all those days (and it was probably more calories, because I was estimating a lot of it), I still lost.
  • cariwaldick
    cariwaldick Posts: 189 Member
    Elisa123--There's a difference between excuses and reasons. Knowing the reasons for our behaviors helps us change them. I don't like to let myself off the hook when I mess up, and excuses give me a bit of permission to do it again--and I can't have that. But if there was a reason for the mess up, I can still take responsibility, but be wary of it in the future. I've never been one of those who had to deal with wild hormones, but I know some who do. They're nothing to dismiss. I once spoke with a type 1 diabetic woman who had a total hysterectomy because her hormones made it nearly impossible to control her disease. I've got a niece who went on birth control pills in her teens, before she was ever sexually active, to help control her monthly raging mood swings.

All things considered, tomorrow is another day. Better to stay conscious and get back on track, than give up and give in to defeat.