One Month Review

Options
Started 12 November and met with doctor last week for a follow-up. We are both happy with my weight loss. So far, I have lost 19 lbs. just watching my portion sizes and keeping my sodium in check! Anyone else have trouble keeping protein up and sodium in check? I have soaked chicken breasts in water in an attempt to reduce sodium. I suppose in theory I could soak fish in water as well.

Replies

• kireler
    kireler Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    For me, it was portion sizes, cut sugar out, and a few tweaks like using milk instead of cream in coffee. For the Chicken breast, maybe check with a butcher of farmer around your area that sells some without the saline injected in them. A few years ago we were able to get some from one of those home grocery door to door sales man. Wasn't cheap but the meat was great.

I've been using different spices also to flavor food instead of salt when I can. They do have things like half-salt, not sure where or what it is exactly but I remember seeing it at my inlaws.

19lbs in a month is great!!! keep at it.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    the more foods you make at home, the less sodium you will encounter - what goal did the doctor give you for keeping your sodium under a day? (I aim for less than 2000mg)
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    jbarr9011 wrote: »
    Started 12 November and met with doctor last week for a follow-up. We are both happy with my weight loss. So far, I have lost 19 lbs. just watching my portion sizes and keeping my sodium in check! Anyone else have trouble keeping protein up and sodium in check? I have soaked chicken breasts in water in an attempt to reduce sodium. I suppose in theory I could soak fish in water as well.

I can suggest that you more carefully read labels on the foods you purchase. Canned anything is usually a big contributor to sodium. Prepared frozen foods also can be high in sodium. Lunch meats is another danger zone.

My sodium control method is to cook nearly all of my own food from scratch, and to work on flavors with herbs and spices to add tasteful interest to what I am eating.

• jbarr9011
    jbarr9011 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    deannafisher, we are at 2,300 mg per day right now as my sodium intake before was shameful. Our goal is to get around 1,900 mg per day.