Stopped smoking and now gained weight

Options
Going to hit 40 soon and decided to quit smoking. I have gained 10 pounds in two weeks looking to stay motivated to keep from smoking and also keep my eating in check! Any suggestions for snacks?

Replies

• stewykins43_
    stewykins43_ Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. Oral fixation is hard to overcome. Crunchy things like baby carrots really help me. For non-calorie fixes, sometimes I'll put a toothpick in my mouth for a few minutes and then toss it. Something about it tricks my brain occasionally.
  • julieweledniger
    julieweledniger Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I can certainly relate! I replaced the smoking with vaping and still put on additional weight. Cinnamon toothpicks are an option or try a piece of hard candy. Sugarless will even work wonders! Best of luck to you.
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Just don't smoke. Recognize and appreciate the positive physical changes that are happening to you two weeks in.
  • golfchess
    golfchess Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Have you tried replacing smoking with doing some exercise? It seemed to work for my coworker.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    weight gain comes from eating excess calories to gain 10 lbs in 2 weeks you would have had to eat 35,000 calories over your TDEE in those 2 weeks. or 17,500 calories over your tdee per weeks(2500 extra per day). if that is the case then its because you ate that much of a surplus. if not a lot of it may be water retention.

many people use chewing gum when they are quitting. if you need something stronger then talk to your dr and maybe they can get you patches or gum(you can buy them over the counter) or there are even stonger meds that need a script. there are many things out there than can help you stop. which ones you choose is up to you. but you definitely need to watch how much you eat and you already are trying to address that situation. healthier low calorie snacks can help for sure. but many who smoke they do tend to eat more and are often snacking which can become a problem too as they eat too much without realizing it(trade one habit for another).

not saying this will be you but if you need some help talk to your dr or a cessation counselor for ideas and help as well.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I suggest sugar free gum and prayer. Congratulations on taking big steps toward becoming an improvred you.
  • AliciaFloyd2016
    AliciaFloyd2016 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I quit 2 years ago, gained 30 lbs and. Started back smoking for a year. And just recently quit again. I gained 10 lbs and decided I should start this tracking again. Hi everyone
  • Dilvish
    Dilvish Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    smoking increases metabolism (in a bad way). metabolism burns calories. when you quit, your metabolism slows down and add to that food starts to taste and smell better, hence the weight gain.

Statistically speaking you are better off overweight than smoking. Both take a lot of determination and willpower.

Keep at it though!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Dilvish wrote: »
    smoking increases metabolism (in a bad way). metabolism burns calories. when you quit, your metabolism slows down and add to that food starts to taste and smell better, hence the weight gain.

Statistically speaking you are better off overweight than smoking. Both take a lot of determination and willpower.

Keep at it though!

this study states that the change in metabolism is only about 200 calories so not a lot and not enough of a change to gain 10 lbs in 2 weeks. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3195407/

for many people though smoking causes and appetite supression effect so they eat less. but then there are smokers out there who are obese,so that means the increase in metabolism isnt very high. its still about your caloric intake.