Not sure if anyone can relate but I need a little advice

Options
I have been on this site for about almost 2 weeks now. Everything is going well!! However my only problem is I can't seem to quit smoking!! I tell myself, yes I will quit. The next morning though, I have another cigarette in my mouth and it continues through the day. My significant other smokes at least a pack a day so that doesn't help either. As much as we discuss me quitting he still asks me to go smoke with him. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. I did sign up for a smoking cessation class but it starts Sept 1st. I need a strategy to quit FOR GOOD so my run time will improve and would like to start now! Can anyone relate to this? If so, any advice?

Replies

• Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    You've done a great job so far. I can't relate - quitting smoking and overhauling your fitness/health is quite a challenge, I'm sure! Hopefully some folks can give you advice! Best of luck! :drinker:
  • Bonnieraed
    Options
    Don't try so hard. If you are trying to lose weight and quit at the same time it will be harder. You only have another week before the class starts. That is a positive step. Keep at it. Some people can just quit others it takes longer. One step and one hour at a time.
  • akashastrega
    Options
    I am not a smoker, never have been, so there I cannot relate...HOWEVER...as with any endeavor, one needs the fulls support of their significant other.

You may consider using "I" statements.

I am finding it hard to quit smoking when cigarettes are easily available.
    I am quitting smoking for my health, and I would like you to consider joining me in this challenge.

Whatever fits YOU. Don't say "you keep smoking around me so I can't quit". It puts the other person on the defensive and lays blame on them. I do think that maybe some dialog is needed though. Let your hunny know that it is a struggle for you and you need help.

For my best friend, she stopped and started more time than I could count. She even claimed she NEEDED to smoke to be thinner. Not being a smoker I don't know if this is true or not, but to me, it seemed like she was looking for reasons to not quit. Her longest period without smoking was when she started doing Yoga and swapping out veggie sticks for cigarettes. Maybe that same method will help you??

I wish you the best of luck. I know it cannot be easy. Be gentle with yourself. If you can't have a "perfect" day and you take a drag, let it go or else you will not only compromise you chances to quit smoking, but also your efforts at finding a healthy weight and lifestyle. We have enough stress in our lives, that we do not need to make more stress for ourselves.

PS--I certainly hope someone who CAN better relate sees this and can offer you some advice and support.
  • saltermatt
    Options
    I am a nurse practitioner and have studied smoking cessation quite a lot. The addictive center in your brain is so stimulated by nicotine that it is harder to stop than cocaine! It takes the average smoker 7 tries before they stop smoking, but keep at it and you CAN do it! I think Chantix is a good drug to try if you need help and you only have to take it 3-6 months for the urge to be gone for good! Of course all drugs can have side effects, but the danger from smoking is not great either! Best of luck to you.
  • andreahanlon
    andreahanlon Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I actually work in the drug and alcohol field and teach people to quit smoking, so I can give you some advice! First smoking is part physical and part mental. If you smoke a pack or more a day, you most likely do have a physical addition. Try using nicotine replacement patches or gum. That will help with the physical side of the addiction and statistically will double your changes for success. Some medical insurances can help pay for the cost and sometimes state Quitlines will offer free nicotine replacement products. PA's number is 1-800-Quit-NOW. You can search for your state's quitline online. Every state should have one. About 80% of people experience withdrawl symptoms (irritability, weight gain, lack of concentration, dizziness, constipation, and of course cravings for nicotine). The first 2-3 days are the worst and symptoms can last up to two weeks. Be aware they may happen and mentally prepare yourself to push through them. Exercise and drinking lots of water can be helpful.

For the mental part, I suggest the following:
    (1) Qutting smoking will leave a void. You must fill the void. Use straws or toothpicks or mints or breathspray to replace the hand to mouth action. If you smoke because of boredom or emotions, think of other ways to deal with those situations.
    (2) Strongly encourage your partner to smoke outside of the house and car. Not only is it more healthy for you two, but for any guests who visit your house or any children who do or may live with you in the future.
    (3) Assertive communication and having support is important. Regarding your partner, it's important to be firm with him and tell him you cannot smoke with him anymore and you don't want him to encourage you to smoke with him. Emphasize how important his support is and how important it is to you that you quit. Joining a class is a GREAT idea and will increase your chances of success.

Lastly remember that the average person must make at least 5-7 quit attempts before quitting for good. Keep trying!!! Each attempt gets you closer to success. I have more suggestions but this message is already getting pretty long! Feel free to message me directly if you have any specific questions I may be able to help you with.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Click on the search button at the top and enter smoking. I know there are others who are doing it together. Welcome and good luck.
  • SusanneWhittington
    SusanneWhittington Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    this might sound encouraging, but... I have been smoking 5 packs a day for 11 years, either you stop from one day to the other or you will not stop and you will long for cigarettes your whole life, it is an addiction, like alcoholics will go back drinking when they have just one drink, an ex-smoker even after 11 years without a cigarette misses the cigarette after a good meal and would kill for just one inhale. You have to be really strong and consequent. For me it was getting up one morning, having my diet coke with my cigarette first thing in the morning and a sudden pain in my left arm that brought me down to my knees, I threw the cigarette out and never touched one again... 11 years now... but still smelling and tasting it. My Mom quit the same way like I did, same reason too and strangely same age as I did. As all my friends are/were smokers none of the slowly quitting people stopped smoking for good, the longest was I think 1 year smoke free.
    I wish you good luck and strength, because it is a hard journey you have ahead of you. And... I chewed on everything after I quit smoking, even dislocated my jaw from vigorously chewing chewing gum for hours as if my life depends on it.
  • haleighallen
    haleighallen Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking using Chantix! :) It worked wonderfully!!
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I have been on this site for about almost 2 weeks now. Everything is going well!! However my only problem is I can't seem to quit smoking!! I tell myself, yes I will quit. The next morning though, I have another cigarette in my mouth and it continues through the day. My significant other smokes at least a pack a day so that doesn't help either. As much as we discuss me quitting he still asks me to go smoke with him. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. I did sign up for a smoking cessation class but it starts Sept 1st. I need a strategy to quit FOR GOOD so my run time will improve and would like to start now! Can anyone relate to this? If so, any advice?

I started smoking when I was 15 years old and have smoked for over 15 years. I have been smoke free for over 5 years now. Smoking and eating well or healthy is basically the same principle for me. What I am about to tell you is drawn from the book, The Pleasure Trap by Dr. Douglas Lisle.

We have a nervous system that is affected by artificial means, caffeine, cocaine, nicotine, rich dietary foods, even artificial light. He goes on but you get the point and meaning. When our body adapts, or gains a tolerance, we need more of it to give us "pleasure." He cites the motivational triad: seek pleasure, avoid pain and to be efficient or to conserve energy. This is a very small summary, I do recommend looking into it some more.

When we smoke, the dopamine levels gives us extreme pleasure (giving us pleasure the quickest way possible). We end up needing that smoking high to keep us from feeling bad and to feel normal. This can be demonstrated through our olfactory mechanism, we smoke and we don't smell the smoke on our clothes but our friends and loved ones who don't smoke often tell us that our clothes "stink."

Thus the saying, moderation is key doesn't work in this case. How much moderate smoking is enough for you to achieve your goal? Can we assume that only moderate smoking creates moderate amounts of emphysema? only moderate amounts of nicotine cravings? Then you realize that this answer not only applies to health but to other addictions such as alcoholism and drug abuse.

The point the author makes is that abstinence is probably your best answer for optimum health, extreme radical measure is the only answer. Now, for my personal experience, I quit, failed, smoked, for about 7 or more times before I finally learned how to quit smoking for good. The author does mention that not giving up is crucial. This is why I try to never criticize someone who says they cheated or ate really bad foods, because they realized it and they are trying to improve.

I hope if this message resonates with you, you will read more on the book. Good luck!
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Start by joining Quitnet.com Its a support community, a bit like this one, but for smokers.

I quit cold turkey after a 20 year/40per day habit. I'd say the hardest thing was hanging out with smokers, so I just didnt go out for a few weeks. I even felt like I lost some friends at first. There's like a smokers' bond' you lose.....but that passes after a few months when you get over the the loss. Yes, its almost like a bereavement!! But you DO get over it. Honestly, it takes a few months, but its time worth investing in. You need to have a strong word with your partner and ask him not to discourage you!! But its pointless trying to convince him to stop too, as he has to make his own mind up! You, on the other hand, need to to this for YOU!

I also developed a gum habit, but chewing gum wont kill you.

Really, Quitnet saved my life!! I went there whenever I felt like I was caving and the craving passed. Reading all the success stories, the nightmare cancer/illness stories, and just having online friends, 24/7, that know how you feel..........

Good luck. You can do it. Take it one hour at a time. Please dont smoke!

I am 7 years smoke free now, and its the best decision I ever made!! bigsmile:

Please dont smoke :wink:
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Wow, we just wrote all of that and the OP deactived her account???? :noway:

:laugh: