How do you know its time to change lifting routine?

Options
Hi all, that, how do you know its time to change your lifting routine?

I have been doing for 10 - 12 weeks a 4 day upper/lower split, increasing some weight as my body asks for.
Last sessions have been shorter in time, although heavier un weigh. When I started (this routine) my sessions were about 60 min, then 45 and last ones about 37 min long!!
So.... is it time to change?

Replies

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    aortegasep wrote: »

I have been doing for 10 - 12 weeks a 4 day upper/lower split, increasing some weight as my body asks for.
    Last sessions have been shorter in time, although heavier un weigh. When I started (this routine) my sessions were about 60 min, then 45 and last ones about 37 min long!!

How is it getting shorter each time? Are you doing fewer reps because the weight is higher?

It should take longer as you increase weight as you will also need to increase the rest time between sets.
  • RealWorldStrengthLLC
    Options
    You don't need to change routines unless you want to/your goals change. You simply need to apply the principle of progressive overload - the same routine can be effective for months or longer this way. You have one of three options:

Increase the weight on the bar
    Increase the reps with the weight the same
    Decrease the rest time with the weight and the reps the same.

For instance, today I did 5 sets of flat bench dumbell press, 1 of 5 at 80s for 5 reps warm up, 4 at 110s - set one was 7 reps, set 2 was 6, sets 3 and 4 were 5 reps.

Next week my goal is to do one rep higher for each set besides the warm up. I will keep this goal the same Every week. Once I reach 8 reps or higher for the first and second sets, I will go to 115s because the rep range I am currently working is 4-8. I assume when I go to 115s, I will be working at the bottom of that rep range. Rinse and repeat.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Why are your sessions getting shorter? Are you resting less? Are you able to move through it more quickly because you've gotten better at setting up the equipment?

In general, I'm not a fan of evaluating lifting workouts based on how much time they take. I think it's more appropriate to evaluate them on whether or not they are moving you toward your goal. Are you getting stronger? If so, I see no need to change programs. If not, evaluate your form and whether or not you are actually following the program before considering changing
  • aortegasep
    aortegasep Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I think my sessions are more efficient time wise, my moves are more controlled, set up time is shorter and rest time is under control, maybe just 10 sec shorter on every set.
    I do make more reps on each set some times, depending of my energy level that day.
    Thing is its getting easier, even with more weight added, which I think its a good sign of progress.
    Last sessions I try to swap one or two forms with a different ones that covers same muscle groups, just to keep things interesting.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Provided you are progressing on your program and you are enjoying it, and it aligns with your goals, you can stick to it.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Ideally right before the program stops working. This is assuming you are managing fatigue and load correctly. I would correct those first before moving to more advanced programming if possible to continue to progress.

By the info you gave, it sounds more like you just are more efficient at the lifts since you are new to lifting. This doesn't neccessarily equate to being stronger. I would definitely monitor your internal/extrenal load as well as fatigue very closely for optimal results.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Why are your sessions getting shorter? Are you resting less? Are you able to move through it more quickly because you've gotten better at setting up the equipment?

In general, I'm not a fan of evaluating lifting workouts based on how much time they take. I think it's more appropriate to evaluate them on whether or not they are moving you toward your goal. Are you getting stronger? If so, I see no need to change programs. If not, evaluate your form and whether or not you are actually following the program before considering changing
    Evaluating your training session which includes the time it takes along with the perceived exertion to complete a session is one of the most important things a lifter can do to progress. This isn't just good advice, it's established evidence.

• golfchess
    golfchess Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Have you ever gone to the website muscle and strength? They have a lot of great workout programs and routines. I think it's always great to have a nice variety.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    "How do you know its time to change lifting routine?" When it becomes a painful chore that I no longer want to involve myself therein. If my routine ever becomes so routine and boring that I can't bring myself to do it, it's time to change. I'll let you know.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I've never heard elapsed time being a factor in the quality or effectiveness of the workout, outside of rest/recovery time between lifts. I do think that many beginners will get more efficient as they train, simply by knowing the order of lifts, the working weight, plate combinations, setup, etc.

IMO, You change routines when your goals change or when you are no longer making progress towards your goals.
  • aortegasep
    Options
    golfchess wrote: »
    Have you ever gone to the website muscle and strength? They have a lot of great workout programs and routines. I think it's always great to have a nice variety.

Yes, actually that is my source of routines and exercises options for swaps.
  • aortegasep
    Options
    Thanks all for your replies. Now I'm more cleare about there is no a stablished time frame for a routine. I will keep mine for couple of months before thinking of change it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    I've never heard elapsed time being a factor in the quality or effectiveness of the workout, outside of rest/recovery time between lifts. I do think that many beginners will get more efficient as they train, simply by knowing the order of lifts, the working weight, plate combinations, setup, etc.

IMO, You change routines when your goals change or when you are no longer making progress towards your goals.

Yes, when I started The RBG Workout it took me a lot longer initially.

When I felt maxed out, I got a weight bench and heavier weights.