new and need advice , please.

Options
Hi All

I am new to MFP.
I have been reading a lot on here about only consuming 1,200 calories a day and how it is not an effective way to go.
I put in all my info when I signed up and was set at 1,200 cals a day , I need to loose fat more than anything.
I am now wondering if eating 1,200 a day is going to do it or should I up it.
Any help/advice would be very appreciated as I am now confused.
FYI , I am under 5 ft and 133 lbs if that helps .
Many thanks.

Replies

• kevmandfl
    Options
    Hi All

I am new to MFP.
    I have been reading a lot on here about only consuming 1,200 calories a day and how it is not an effective way to go.
    I put in all my info when I signed up and was set at 1,200 cals a day , I need to loose fat more than anything.
    I am now wondering if eating 1,200 a day is going to do it or should I up it.
    Any help/advice would be very appreciated as I am now confused.
    FYI , I am under 5 ft and 133 lbs if that helps .
    Many thanks.
  • brookefoley
    brookefoley Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hi and Welcome!
    I put mine at 1500 because 1200 is just not realistic for me. It takes longer to lose the weight but I am happier.
    Also I eat all my exercise calories. You will read a lot about that on MPF and I highly recommend it :)
    Good luck!
  • beachlvr
    beachlvr Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hello and Welcome. I was in your same boat "UTTERLY CONFUSED" but to my understanding 1200 calories is what you need for your body to lose the weight in a healthy manor (with out working out). As long as you are working out you get "added" calories (meaning you can eat a bit more than just 1200). Which is very nice!
    So in short.....just work out....eat lots of fruits and veggies through out the day.....and have a good time. You will see the pounds melt away. Hope this helps you. :flowerforyou:
  • cstang
    cstang Posts: 28
    Options
    I agree with BROOKEFOLEY. If 1200 cals leaves you feeling hungry, up the calories so you're losing weight at a slower pace. This shouldn't be all about dieting but creating a new, healthy lifestyle that will help you lose and maintain your weight. Hope this helps:heart:
  • aprilvet
    aprilvet Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Your 1200 cals is if you don't get any exercise. If you are active, you may want to try increasing your cals slightly. But given your height, not by more than 100-200 cals per day. Some of the more experienced folks here may have some other suggestions. Good Luck!:smile:
  • WShope
    WShope Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm at a 1200 intake too, however the exercise calories that get added are nice. So you feel like you can eat a little more. I wasn't having any success until I cut out the lunches that I was eating at work. Remember this has to be a lifestyle change. And exercise is key!
  • kbirky73
    kbirky73 Posts: 110
    Options
    Hello hello .. it's soooo nice to see another "petite" person here.
    I joined MFP almost 2 years ago but only really started using it Jan 8th, 2009.

I'm at 1200 cal intake .. but i go on the treadmill every single day earning an extra (at this point) 300 calories ... but even with my extra calories .. I keep my intake around 1100 a day.

Now, when I finish my day .. i get the whole warning about putting my body in starvation mode, but i have been losing a steady 2lbs a week for the past 4 weeks now.

I had spoken to my doctor who, when I was 152 informed me that I SHOULD take in slightly less than my allowed. My suggestion would be to talk to your doctor before doing it though. People of "average" height will tell you that it is bad to do this ... but if you get the doc's OK ... you can be sure you are doing the best thing for YOUR body type.

BTW ... i'm 4' 11.5" and 138 as of yesterday .... I have completely changed my lifestyle .. and i exersize EVERY DAY WITHOUT FAIL!!!! I think that's the biggest key!!!

15163.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • kevmandfl
    Options
    A big thank you to all of you for the advice , what a wonderful site and people.
    :flowerforyou: