Anybody doing this while pregnant?

Options
I'm looking for other pregnant women who are using MFP to help keep weight gain in check to avoid any complications (I'm already overweight). I also love to see what my nutrients are and making sure I'm getting enough of what I need.

I'm already overweight so my goal gain total is max 20 lbs.

EDIT: I have already approved this with my doctor! She and I are in full understanding what MY baby needs. If you're going to be negative, I don't need your opinion. I'm just looking for support during a time when I have to motivate myself to keep active and not be a slug. Thanks

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    :grumble:
  • bjbixler
    bjbixler Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    My sister is, but she's really only using it to keep track of her meals/exercise, and hopes to use it fully when she's trying to lost the baby weight.

Good luck!
  • NewVonnie
    NewVonnie Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Suggestion: Forget about only gaining that much weight and focus on having a healthy baby :grumble:
  • kadoodle76
    kadoodle76 Posts: 234
    Options
    I support wanting to stay healthy while pregnant and tracking what you eat is a good way to do that , but please don't limit your weight gain or do anything like excessive exercise or cutting things out of your diet right now. Go easy on junk food like any person should, but baby needs you to not worry about calories and weight gain right now. I have seen lots of pregnant women here, its great so long as you dont limit what baby gets. If ur hungry eat. Congrats and good luck!
  • frzr71186
    frzr71186 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    For my health and my baby's health it is important for me to make sure I don't gain too much. My calorie amount has been discussed and debated with my doctor, all approved.
  • frzr71186
    Options
    I support wanting to stay healthy while pregnant and tracking what you eat is a good way to do that , but please don't limit your weight gain or do anything like excessive exercise or cutting things out of your diet right now. Go easy on junk food like any person should, but baby needs you to not worry about calories and weight gain right now. I have seen lots of pregnant women here, its great so long as you dont limit what baby gets. If ur hungry eat. Congrats and good luck!

Thank you! That is exactly what I'm doing. No excess exercise, either, just swimming every day to keep me in shape. All doctor approved.
  • PatriciaMarieHall
    PatriciaMarieHall Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was not on this program when I was pregnant but I was watching my weight and my Dr just told me to make sure I ate balanced meals and to take my prenatal vitamins. He also said that pregnant women need about 300 calories more per day. I followed that advice and only gained about 19 pounds with both my pregnancy. Good Luck!
  • lsd007
    lsd007 Posts: 435
    Options
    Suggestion: Forget about only gaining that much weight and focus on having a healthy baby :grumble:

If people are obese before becoming pregnant, doctor's usually want them to watch what they eat and not gain much. Mayo Clinic recommends a max of 11-20 pounds.

To OP: This is a great tool to do that. Be sure you have the right calorie goal, perhaps talk to your doctor about how much you should be consuming so the baby gets all of the nutrition he/she needs. Congrats on your pregnancy and good luck!

ETA: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pregnancy-weight-gain/PR00111
  • lsd007
    lsd007 Posts: 435
    Options
    For my health and my baby's health it is important for me to make sure I don't gain too much. My calorie amount has been discussed and debated with my doctor, all approved.

Sounds like you are on track! :smile:
  • frzr71186
    Options
    Thank you, Isd007! I appreciate it :) I'm not impressed with this board and I just started using it ten minutes ago. Lol
  • mericksmom
    mericksmom Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    My advice is to EAT HEALTHY. I was 160 when I got pregnant and went to 135 and back to 155 (at the end) while pregnant. I was eating well, Tons of lean meat and salad. I did indulge here and there but nothing really too naughty. Basically stick to the food groups, eat the Whole grains, complex carbs, fruits and vegetables, skim or 1% milk (especially if you are going through a gallon a day) . Stay active, take walks, (I was a waitress during my whole pregnancy and walked a mile to work and a mile back most days). I ate tons but it was all healthy (it is what I craved during the whole pregnacy) . I wish you luck and a happy healthy pregnancy dont stress if you do gain weight .
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I'm not in your shoes, but I just wanted to say that I understand why you're doing this, and I applaud you. Make sure you don't restrict yourself too much, because you do want to gain those 20 lbs, but good for you for listening to your doc and trying to keep the weight gain in check for your health and your baby's.

Did she give you calorie recommendations? I would imagine you'll need to gain less quickly in the beginning and more rapidly in the last trimester. Your needs will probably change as your pregnancy progresses. Keep an eye on getting the right nutrition with healthy food, and not just focusing on the calories. Good luck!
  • kadoodle76
    Options

Thank you! That is exactly what I'm doing. No excess exercise, either, just swimming every day to keep me in shape. All doctor approved.

awesome! I didnt want you to think I was assuming you were being nuts about it but some people really have no clue and act that way. I swam alot when I was pregnant too. It's probably the best for your joints and stuff. Keep it up!
  • frzr71186
    Options
    Yes, she gave me a calorie goal. I actually lost in the beginning (I've entered 5th month) because of bad morning sickness. So I'm trying to gain a little bit back.
  • cm2two
    cm2two Posts: 194
    Options

THIS!!! its not about you at all right now...not that that means go choclate balls to the wall or anything...but it snot about you...you are a vessel...embrace it.
  • cm2two
    cm2two Posts: 194
    Options
    or its not...lol..not it snots.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options

THIS!!! its not about you at all right now...not that that means go choclate balls to the wall or anything...but it snot about you...you are a vessel...embrace it.

She is embracing her body as a vessel by limiting her weight gain to lessen the risk of complications to herself and the baby. Did you read her post?
  • kadoodle76
    Options
    My advice is to EAT HEALTHY. I was 160 when I got pregnant and went to 135 and back to 155 (at the end) while pregnant. I was eating well, Tons of lean meat and salad. I did indulge here and there but nothing really too naughty. Basically stick to the food groups, eat the Whole grains, complex carbs, fruits and vegetables, skim or 1% milk (especially if you are going through a gallon a day) . Stay active, take walks, (I was a waitress during my whole pregnancy and walked a mile to work and a mile back most days). I ate tons but it was all healthy (it is what I craved during the whole pregnacy) . I wish you luck and a happy healthy pregnancy dont stress if you do gain weight .

Glad I'm not the only one that LOST weight while I was pregnant! I was 255 when I got pregnant and went down to 225 and then around 240 at the end. But then again I was absolutely SICK the entire time. Could not keep a thing down except pretzels and peanut butter lol
  • frzr71186
    Options

Sorry, but how is my developing preeclampsia or gestational diabetes going to be "all about" my baby? Please re-read my post because then you'll see what I was actually trying to achieve by posting this.
  • KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your pregnancy!

You might want to check out one of these two topics:

For people looking for general pregnancy support and not wanting to gain too much: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/305078-pregnancy-august-2011
    For people who are VERY active and want to maintain that level while pregnant: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/305268-fit-fabulous-and-pregnant-august-2011

Best of luck!