Stuck with 5lbs to go

Options
zeke2215
zeke2215 Posts: 17 Member
edited December 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello there,
I've lost 118 lbs since October of last year. I'm female, 5'7" and roughly 156 lbs (it fluctuates a pound or so but tends to stay around that). I really wanted to get down to 150 and hover around there to be comfortable but ever since joining the gym 2 1/2 months ago it's been pretty hard to lose any more weight.
I was 160 when I started at the gym. I work out about 5 days a week, cardio and strength training. I have my goal set on MFP for half a pound a week, they give me 2040. I tend to eat about 1800 calories on non workout days and 2000 on workout days. When I workout I burn roughly 500 calories (I have an apple watch).
Yes I use a food scale and track everything I eat. So I guess my question is am I just expecting too much? I feel like I've been patient but my weight doesn't seem to be budging. I lost the initial weight eating 1200-1500 calories but I realize that isn't practical or healthy long term especially when working out like I do. Any advice would be appreciated ;)

Jessica

P. S. I also don't eat more than 30g of sugar a day

Also I'm 35 yrs old if that matters, no kids...

Replies

• zeke2215
    Options
    I should of mentioned also that I just recently increased my calorie intake. I did have it set to 1lb per week but was feeling really weak and run down eating 1600-1700 calories a day. I also monitor my protein and make sure I eat about 140 grams a day. Guess I just got used to losing fast and am being impatient lol
  • AmyC2288
    AmyC2288 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    zeke2215 wrote: »
    I should of mentioned also that I just recently increased my calorie intake. I did have it set to 1lb per week but was feeling really weak and run down eating 1600-1700 calories a day. I also monitor my protein and make sure I eat about 140 grams a day. Guess I just got used to losing fast and am being impatient lol

Agree with this! At the rate you're going you'll be at your goal in about 3 months or so. After how far you've come, another 3 months is just a blip on the radar. Congrats on your loss- you should be very proud!
  • zeke2215
    Options
    AmyC2288 wrote: »
    zeke2215 wrote: »

Agree with this! At the rate you're going you'll be at your goal in about 3 months or so. After how far you've come, another 3 months is just a blip on the radar. Congrats on your loss- you should be very proud!

Thank you! 😊
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,558 Member
    Options
    Plus you probably added a little water weight when you started at the gym (for muscle repair, so a good thing). That will mask fat loss temporarily, too.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I just wanted to reiterate the congrats on your progress thus far!

My last few were only about .25 to .33 pounds per week. It was just really slow but every little bit was me getting closer to goal.

You'll get there!

ETA: this little bit was masked my normal fluctuations so I really didn't see the scale moving but every few weeks.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I would suspect your Apple Watch is being over generous if your stall not only started 2.5 months ago but the disparity with what you think your calorie balance is and your actual weight loss results still continues such a long time afterwards.
    How is your watch estimating calories for strength training? It can't measure the weight you lift so I'm dubious how accurate it would be. (HR is an irrelevance for strength training if that's the metric it's using.)

As you are still losing slowly you aren't really stuck. Slow loss isn't a bad thing at all for the last few pounds, makes the transition to maintenance far less of an adjustment.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    I'm a similar height and weight. Currently around the 151-152 range, although my goal is a fair bit lower (~130 give or take a couple pounds). Unless I want to feel like I'm starving ALL THE TIME I pretty much have to accept that I'm not going to lose very fast right now. I can lose a little faster if I stick to the ~1600 cal/day range, but the hangries are real! So, I eat a little more, and accept a slower loss. Some weeks I'll be a little more motivated and deal with the hunger a bit better, and can trim back a bit more.

For me, about 1 pound a month loss is "easily" sustainable. Moving that to .5/week means I'm going to be suffering a bit lol.
  • zeke2215
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I would suspect your Apple Watch is being over generous if your stall not only started 2.5 months ago but the disparity with what you think your calorie balance is and your actual weight loss results still continues such a long time afterwards.
    How is your watch estimating calories for strength training? It can't measure the weight you lift so I'm dubious how accurate it would be. (HR is an irrelevance for strength training if that's the metric it's using.)

As you are still losing slowly you aren't really stuck. Slow loss isn't a bad thing at all for the last few pounds, makes the transition to maintenance far less of an adjustment.

Most of the calorie estimates are from cardio, strength training only accounts for maybe 100. I run 2-3 miles on the treadmill and/or do 4-6 miles on the elliptical. Plus I don't eat over 2000 calories anyway so I should always be in a deficit. You're right I'm not stuck just impatient I guess 😋 thanks 👍🏻
  • zeke2215
    Options
    Guess I'm doing ok then, thanks for all the replies! 😃
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I would drop the calories on non workout days. The closer you are to your goal, the harder to lose weight.