WFPB diet anyone?

Options
Whole Food Plant based anyone? I was vegetarian for six years, now WFPB for just over one year. If you’re like-minded and already eating this way or just plain interested then send me a FR. Open diary to friends.

So - I don’t eat any animal products (egg, dairy, meat). I cook all the time, using pretty much every vegetable out there and also beans, chickpeas, nuts, seeds, whole grains like millet, wheat berries and brown rice. I do use oil in cooking and salad dressings as well as coconut milk in cooking and baking. I like the occasional treat at least once or twice a week - beer, rum, homemade cookies, dark chocolate, chips and cake. I will buy some processed foods such as whole wheat/whole grain products as well as almond milk, dairy free yoghurt and dairy free nog at this time of the year. I also use some mock meats in my cooking about once a week too.

Replies

• Frogfisg
    Frogfisg Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Frogfisg wrote: »
    I don't put a label on my eating, and I do consume egg and dairy and occasionally meat/poultry/fish, but I just wanted to thank you for explaining how you eat, rather than just throwing WFPB out there and leaving us to guess what you eat (because I see this term used a lot of different ways, including to describe the way I eat, which a lot of the time looks a lot like your description of what you eat).

Best of luck. Cheers. I suggest combining the dairy free nog and the rum. :smile:

Thanks @lynn_glenmont !
    Yes the nog always get combined with the rum! With a pinch of nutmeg and an ice cube too!! Love that stuff!

It’s all working out quite well for me, thank you. I had been limiting my dairy for five years already but my stomach is much happier now for dropping it completely. My spouse and I went WFPB 15 months ago because of his genetic hypercholesteremia. It worked. He dropped his cholesterol by over 100 points within the first eight weeks. He is hardcore about the no processed foods or treats and it has paid off in spades. I admire his resolve as I still like to dig into the non dairy ice cream occasionally. I try to do it away from him because I don’t want him to feel badly.

Really I eat a vegan diet, but I can’t say I’m vegan because I still wear leather shoes and have several leather purses (which I won’t be replacing with pleather items any time soon). To me it would seem to be hypocritical to say I’m vegan when I still wear these things. However I do have many of my ethics centring around veganism including animal rights and modern agriculture/ environmental issues. I’m doing my best to keep informed.

Just so you know, there are many vegans who are using up the leather items they purchased prior to going vegan. Veganism is an ethical orientation and the majority of us were once non-vegans. We come into this lifestyle with different possessions. While some people find new homes for their leather items (or other items made with animal products), others do continue to use them. Buying a whole bunch of new stuff to replace stuff that is working fine isn't always practical, nor is it especially environmentally thoughtful.

I'm not saying this because I think you're obligated to call yourself a vegan, but just to let you know that the option is available to you. You wouldn't be the only one. I myself wore my previously purchased leather items for my first 3 years or so of veganism until I became too uncomfortable wearing them and was able to give them away to some people who would use them.

@janejellyroll Thanks for that! I do feel badly about the leather I have and own - but it cost a lot to replace coats and bags etc. I even have leather couches from the early 2000s. I guess I just figure as long as I have these items I can’t call myself vegan. I don’t plan to buy new leather items -but the hard part is that I have no choice for shoes because I have a foot problem and there aren’t shoes made for feet like mine that aren’t leather.

Anyways really happy with my eating choices. I will never turn back now. Not even remotely tempted by dairy anymore since there are so many amazing and delicious replacement items -like cashew cheeze spreads!!!
  • monicaamy0902
    monicaamy0902 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am pretty much the same. I have been doing this for about 6 months and still learning. I try to do no oil, but have trouble when I am eating out, it's almost impossible for me. I really do love this woe and the food is delicious. I don't really even miss the meat and dairy. I tried a bite of my husband's pizza or something recently and the cheese actually tasted bad to me, and I used to put cheese on everything! I can't see a huge difference yet in most aspects of my life, but I do see changes in some. I guess it just takes time!