Rounded shoulder correction exercises

Options
Hey there!

A bit of a backstory, I had gyno surgery a little over a year ago and while the results are excellent, living with gyno for nearly 20 years took a toll on my posture. I have significantly rounded shoulders and I have decided to fix it. I was wondering if anyone has any experience in this field and could help me out. I tried with the posture brace, but it's very uncomfortable to wear it for a longer duration (I try to do it at least 30 mins per day). I also did some research and found out it's actually good to strengthen my back muscles. What exercises would you recommend that I can do at home with no special equipment?

Thanks!

Replies

• GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I have no idea. But I have seen personal trainers and physical therapists suggest stretching the pectoralis minor muscle for slightly hunched shoulders and bad posture.
    My mother always told me to just "Stand up straight!" That's is, when you think about it, and are standing, pull your shoulders back, draw your shoulder blades together. They used to make soldiers in the military do that too. It works to correct posture, as, over time, it becomes habit.
    It is important to stand up straight and have your shoulders back for good posture. It opens up your chest and frees your diaphragm and really helps to make breathing better and easier.
    Good luck.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    GiddyupTim wrote: »
    But I have seen personal trainers and physical therapists suggest stretching the pectoralis minor muscle for slightly hunched shoulders and bad posture.

Yes. This is the best stretch i know:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=bO224K6mS2c
    The effects of stretching don't last long, so i would do it hourly, for 30+ seconds. Use a reminder app if you forget.

The posture brace is more to remind you to hold good posture on your own, not to actually hold it for you. So you can loosen the adjustment straps a bit. The best "exercise" by far is to practice good posture all throughout the day. :+1:
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Rows and lat pull downs and back extensions will strengthen the back muscles
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    I saw an advert for electrodes that you attach to your back and that give you a small shock when you're not standing/sitting straight. I'm considering that as my posture is awful from years of trying to hide my boobs!
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    GiddyupTim wrote: »
    But I have seen personal trainers and physical therapists suggest stretching the pectoralis minor muscle for slightly hunched shoulders and bad posture.

Yes. This is the best stretch i know:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=bO224K6mS2c
    The effects of stretching don't last long, so i would do it hourly, for 30+ seconds. Use a reminder app if you forget.

The posture brace is more to remind you to hold good posture on your own, not to actually hold it for you. So you can loosen the adjustment straps a bit. The best "exercise" by far is to practice good posture all throughout the day. :+1:

A tennis ball massage to the pec minor area can help when that area gets tight on me.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Rows and lat pull downs and back extensions will strengthen the back muscles

Yup. Dumbbell rows, t-bar rows, barbell rows, lat pulldowns, pull-ups/chin-ups, anything of the sort will give you a lot of help on your back and will greatly improve your posture. I've gotten numerous compliments about my posture and subsequently my chest just due to exercises like this. Makes you appear more confident and lively too which is a nice perk.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts and rows.