Addison's Disease and starting exercise

Options
Hello,

I don't expect many responses (if any haha) as Addison's Disease is very rare...but I am wondering if there is anyone out there who deals with this?

I've had it for about 5 years now, and the past year I have been trying to get back into exercising, but have trouble getting the energy for it due to not wanting to take too many steroids. I am currently 176 lbs, 5'8", and would like to get back down to about 150. More concerned with losing fat and gaining muscle/energy than the scale, though.

If there are any of you out there-any advice you can give? Did you start off taking a small amount of extra medicine right before working out and wean off it once your body felt "ready"? I am having a tough time-not as much during the workout-but the days after (exhausted!!).

Thanks! :)

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    You should get a referral from your doctor to see a qualified dietitian to help you create a weight loss plan that works with your medication.
  • elley0531
    elley0531 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I have been working with my doctor. My diet is pretty on point, and her advice is start very slowly with exercising (which I am trying to do-but not slow enough perhaps).

I am just looking to see if anyone else with Addison's has any specific advise for medicating specifically for new exercise stress, or any first hand experience with it.
  • FocusKimFocus
    FocusKimFocus Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I know this is an old thread, but I also have Addison's Disease. I was diagnosed back in 1999, and have had periods of time where I've done very well exercising a lot. I've even had times where I've run over 100 miles in a week, have done distance trail running, etc. I generally found that I did not need extra steroids even when I was exercising that much. I sometimes took extra fludrocortisone (mineral-corticoid) if I was exercising in hot weather or sweating a lot. I never was able to be all that active in hot weather. Luckily I live in a relatively cold place.

I do take extra hydrocortisone (or similar) if I feel nauseous or light headed. I know some folks have different symptoms of being low on cortisol.

Hope things are going well for you! I haven't been active lately, but am slowly ramping back up. Right now I'm walking ~2 miles/day and doing a bit of jogging. Also doing some fairly light strength training. Trying to increase everything gradually to avoid injury.
  • mldossett
    mldossett Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have Addison's too. I'm currently going to a weight loss class at my gym 3 days a week for 1 hr each day. I am 100 lbs over weight. It was hard to start working out but I take an extra 5mg to start my class and 5mg if I am extra tired after the class. I also drink an electrolyte tablet called Nuun to keep my sodium up after the workout.
  • Cavenerz1
    Cavenerz1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, I know this is an old forum, but I thought I would chime in too. I have addisons disease as well, diagnosed about 6 years ago, and I find that vigorous exercise such as swimming laps or running fatigue me very quickly, but I can walk or do endurance exercises all day.
  • matthewsmom11
    matthewsmom11 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have addisons as well and as previously mentioned I know this is old news by now. I always start out slow and follow up with water and electrolyte drinks after my workout if I feel the need to. I hope you have made
    Progress with your exercise goals!