My year of living lighter

Options
I'm almost 57, and only 156 cms (5'1 1/2"). Exactly one year ago, at 84 kg (185 lb) I was way over a healthy BMI. I looked like this:

2kxiks8jrgyb.jpeg

I had been telling myself I'd lose weight and get fitter for a long, long time. One year ago, I read a couple of articles that really flicked a switch in my brain. One I can't find any more talked about making the decision to give up alcohol for a month, and how making that one big decision freed you up from making a lot of little decisions along the way. Hmmm....I wondered, could I make a decision to lose weight for a whole year? What would that look like? Another article (I'll provide a link if anyone's interested) was from an Australian journalist and former rugby league player who had put on weight over the years. He quit booze and sugar, and two years later wrote the article I read. It was kind of 'blokey', but it was the boot in the behind I needed, and off I went.

I made the big decisions. I would walk every morning without fail, and I would cut out any kind of junk food, anything with added sugar, and mindless snacking. I had set myself a goal of .5 kg per week loss, and I was able to do that until I hit a plateau in the middle of the year. It was then I joined MFP, and I was helped so much by the advice, motivation and success stories of others. Thank you all! I've been lurking on the message boards for a little while, but this is my first serious post. I thought I ought to pay forward some of the hope you all gave me when I was struggling. With some adjustments to what I was doing, and the realisation that MFP brought that it is much easier to acquire kilojoules than lose them, I roughly got back to my .5 kg per week loss.

I joined parkrun when it started near me in May, walking at first, but I've been running the whole 5 km since mid-October. Here's me running for the finish line last Saturday - not quite making my PB of 29:51 this time:

npt4q9nnpsu9.jpeg

You have no idea how unreal the idea of this photo was just a year ago. Me. Running. 5 km!!!
Oh...and I've lost 24 kg (53.5 lb) BMI is now in the healthy range, and I'm going to work hard at maintenance. So thank you all!! And if you're a middle-aged woman reading this, you can do this! It's never too late to start.

Replies

• craignev
    craignev Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Great work & dedication. Very well done! :)
  • jennylynn_1983
    jennylynn_1983 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Nice job!
  • Girlheidi
    Girlheidi Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Lovely story - well done - very motivational.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    What a great story and so motivating! You look incredibly healthy now - well done!
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Well done!
  • kbmnurse1
    kbmnurse1 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Wow, great job.
  • babysaffy
    babysaffy Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this. Congratulations and well done.
  • wannabesmaller2017
    wannabesmaller2017 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Great job!! Your story is so inspiring! I’m 5’2.5” and weight 185. Thanks for sharing!😊
  • jmf286
    jmf286 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Well done on all the hard work. Do you feel amazing? I am currently your before photo, after having been your after photo and took for granted how much energy I had. Now feeling sluggish and fatigued all the time, I am hoping that will change with some weightloss.

Would you mind posting the link to the article you read? Sounds interesting.
  • annette9501
    annette9501 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    jmf286 wrote: »
    Well done on all the hard work. Do you feel amazing? I am currently your before photo, after having been your after photo and took for granted how much energy I had. Now feeling sluggish and fatigued all the time, I am hoping that will change with some weightloss.

Sure, but it comes with a language warning! And I've realised it has quite a few Australian slang terms...let me know if you need a translation 😊

https://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/health-and-wellness/peter-fitzsimons-fatty-boomka-quit-sugar-and-booze-lose-weight-and-keep-it-off-20171229-h0b767.html

I certainly do have more energy, generally, and I'm feeling more positive about life. I did make it hard to make some changes at the start, but now I really don't miss overly sweet or overly fatty food. I never did drink much alcohol, so that wasn't really the button this article hit for me. It was more about an attitude change.

All the best with your work on this. You can friend me if you think it would help, but I won't be offended if you don't 😊
  • kickingitup
    kickingitup Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Way to go! Love your story. Thank you for sharing.
  • lorabelllee
    lorabelllee Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic! Great job! Inspiring story too as I will hit 60 next month and still have 30 lbs to lose. Hoping that 2019 is my year since 2018 kinda sucked.
  • jmf286
    jmf286 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    jmf286 wrote: »

Sure, but it comes with a language warning! And I've realised it has quite a few Australian slang terms...let me know if you need a translation 😊

https://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/health-and-wellness/peter-fitzsimons-fatty-boomka-quit-sugar-and-booze-lose-weight-and-keep-it-off-20171229-h0b767.html

I certainly do have more energy, generally, and I'm feeling more positive about life. I did make it hard to make some changes at the start, but now I really don't miss overly sweet or overly fatty food. I never did drink much alcohol, so that wasn't really the button this article hit for me. It was more about an attitude change.

All the best with your work on this. You can friend me if you think it would help, but I won't be offended if you don't 😊

Thanks a bunch. I am an Aussie too so no translation required. I guessed you were because of the blokey reference, not sure that's a thing anywhere else.

Pete's speaking the truth in that article about the conversations we have with ourselves and the gap between thinking and action.
  • KishJijTin
    KishJijTin Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Wow great work , congratulations
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Girrrlllllll...you look like a million bucks--TAX FREE! I really love your outfit in your before pic too YAY YOU and thank you so much for sharing this mega impressive and encouraging post!

P.S. BOOOOOOM!
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,272 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    A great accomplishment! Congratulations.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    Great job- wonderful work
  • kiran6002
    kiran6002 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Wow you have accomplished soo much! Good for you! Keep it up xx
  • JaimeLaRae
    JaimeLaRae Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I'm the same height as you and started around 170. I have been maintaining around 153-154 for a year now (Yay me!), I'm getting back on that wagon and hope to be posting some success pictures of myself some day soon!!!
    You look amazing!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!