Intermittent fasting and one meal a day...... thoughts pls 😍

Options
Thinking of giving this a go. What do you think?

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    It's not magic, but it can be an easy way to control consumption, particularly if you like eating large meals and don't want to give that up while cutting intake.

I also find that my DOMS seems to be less severe with !F (16:8), but that's subjective, and if you don't lift then you probably don't care about that anyway.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    while it works for some people, I personally cannot image it and it would be my idea of hell. i do the opposite and eat as often as possible thru the day! but again, everyone is different.
  • LovelySavannah
    LovelySavannah Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I know IF really helps, I do 16:8. But I don't know if one meal a day would help, personally I'd end up overeating and eating bad foods in that one meal than I would do with 3 small, healthy meals in a day.
  • MsBaz2018
    MsBaz2018 Posts: 384 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Thinking of giving this a go. What do you think?

IF like 5:2 and OMAD? So... Total 5 meals a week? I wish I could do that. It would make my meal planning so much easier.
    You'll have to experiment I guess. I find I can easily skip breakfast and/or dinner but not eating for whole day is tough. It's all very personal.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    Givebit a try and see if you like it and if it helps you achieve your goals.

I’m an IF practitioner. I like it and it helps me achieve my goals.
  • PumpJockeyy
    PumpJockeyy Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    If you can handle only one meal a day then go for it. Would be kinda brutal I'd think haha
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    If it works for you, go for it. Just need to be careful with meeting your macros and goals on only one meal. No way could I do it. I would be cranky as heck. I have found, for ME, that 3 meals work the best with little to no snacking (except a piece of chocolate or some chocolate almond milk in the evenings). Since I have to be up as early as I am (6am), I just can't skip breakfast anymore.
  • genieken
    genieken Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    As for myself, I get much better results if I eat a solid breakfast - protein, 4:9 bread (nothing on it) and a fruit or veggie for approx. 22% of my daily calorie allotment. Followed by a light lunch of protein and salad and an evening meal - nothing after 6 pm. Skipping breakfast usually leads to me eating more later and gaining weight. I'm down 55lbs since Jan 1, 18
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    If it works WITH your normal tendencies and preferences, then it can be a good option for some.
    If it works AGAINST your normal tendencies/preferences, then it probably isn't a good choice.

Weight management comes down to calories in vs calories out, nothing more. There will be a lot of personal/subjective aspects to IF/OMAD that you may or may not find beneficial. Only way to know for sure is to try it.
  • menotyou56
    menotyou56 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 16:8 which is working good so far. Not sure if I can get to OMAD but good luck OP, hope it works out for you.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The recommended protein during weight loss is 1.5-2.2g/kg of protein, which is around .7-1g/lb. If you can hit those numbers with OMAD, than sure. For woman, that generall means 90-130g, and men is 130-160g. And this doesn't even get into the discussion of protein utilization.

It doesn't seem to be optimal in most cases.
  • Dilvish
    Dilvish Posts: 398 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    If your intent is weight loss remember that it has to be sustainable otherwise you'll end up eventually gaining it all back. That's a proven fact.

Start out slow, find out what range of calories you should be maintaining and exercise as often as possible, focusing on weights/resistance for weight loss.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Nope, not for me. This would lead to terrible binges for me. Plus it would be suboptimal as far as muscle retention.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    As long as you are getting enough calories in, it's fine. But it's just another way of restricting calories, so if you find that it doesn't work for you, then don't be afraid to change your eating schedule.