Bad back trying to exercise but how w o much pain

Options
Hi I have extreme back pain. What have you done to help ease the pain to be able to exercise my body weight is average

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    have you seen your doctor for a diagnosis for the pain?
  • CindyJNC1963
    CindyJNC1963 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I don't have severe back pain but I do have problems with my back. I use a recumbent stationary bike for my cardio exercise. It takes most of the stress off of your knees and back. There are also videos on youtube of chair exercises that you can do. Finally, you can do some weight training with lighter hand weights.
  • MarvinsFitLife
    MarvinsFitLife Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    @sochoa25 sorry to hear try visiting a chiropractor
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    what is the issue with your back? it's hard to suggest anything without the danger of sending you down a bad road.

I can tell you my back pain is worse without regular exercise and strengthening my core muscles, but I know what is wrong with mine. Can a doctor refer you to a physiotherapist?
  • sochoa25
    sochoa25 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've had 3 surgeries in a matter of 2 years. Laminectomy si joint fusion, and my l5 s1 fused. I still have heavy pain
  • sochoa25
    Options
    @MarvinsFitLife I can't do chiropractic care
  • sochoa25
    Options
    Ty @Dilvish @ everyone. I know I have an autoimmune condition I have every reason to believe that has a lot to do w my back issues not getting better. However no real answer from dr I have done it all. Injections, therapy, water therapy, tens, dry needling, etc its surely been a very long 7 years w severe pain
  • navdeeprana
    navdeeprana Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I do suffer from back pain ....and kinda learned to live with it. I took PT for months and I make it a point to do those excercises, it helps me. Also I use a pain lotion that I use 3times a day , it helps a little . Other then that my pain never goes away , I just try to not make it worse and work around it.
  • MarvinsFitLife
    MarvinsFitLife Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    sochoa25 wrote: »
    @MarvinsFitLife I can't do chiropractic care

Only thing left for you to seek out is natural remedies I heard black seed oil is good for autoimmune conditions...really hope you get well
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    def agree on the swimming/water running recommendation
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    sochoa25 wrote: »
    Ty @Dilvish @ everyone. I know I have an autoimmune condition I have every reason to believe that has a lot to do w my back issues not getting better. However no real answer from dr I have done it all. Injections, therapy, water therapy, tens, dry needling, etc its surely been a very long 7 years w severe pain

I hear ya, L5 S1 is my problem are also, but I don’t have the extra auto immune issues. Just residual nerve damage.
    Improving core strength, especially around the psoas muscle area, provides essential support for that part of the back. The problem is you have to do the exercise with the same discipline you would take meds. Daily without fail.

I found gentle yoga to be a great starting point. Maybe seated yoga would be suitable. If you can find a proper yoga instructor (not a fitness coach who does a yoga style class) they could guide you within your limits.
    Good luck
  • MrWeather_81
    MrWeather_81 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I suggest follow the instruction of your medical practitioner.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    exercise in the water or even floating in the water will ease your pain.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    My husband has a rod in his back and he needs to maintain core strength to support his back and avoid pain. He finds cycling and weight lifting to be really helpful. I have minor lower back pain and weight lifting is what helps me the most. I would not suggest weight lifting for you though without first talking with a doctor or physical therapist. If you do get into weight lifting, use a program and research modifications and limits for your specific surgeries/circumstances. My husband has to modify a couple of lifts and stop increasing weight on some to avoid putting undue stress on the rod.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    puffbrat wrote: »
    My husband has a rod in his back and he needs to maintain core strength to support his back and avoid pain. He finds cycling and weight lifting to be really helpful. I have minor lower back pain and weight lifting is what helps me the most. I would not suggest weight lifting for you though without first talking with a doctor or physical therapist. If you do get into weight lifting, use a program and research modifications and limits for your specific surgeries/circumstances. My husband has to modify a couple of lifts and stop increasing weight on some to avoid putting undue stress on the rod.

For me, weightlifting (bent over rows seemed to have the greatest effect) did a lot to strengthen my core when it was very weak (too weak to be able to do the usual exercises people think of for core work without straining my neck and back). But- I can't answer whether or not lifting would be a problem for your back, and what modifications you would need.
  • Francolley34
    Francolley34 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Walk away the pounds by Leslie Sansone!
  • sugagirl5
    sugagirl5 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have a herniated disc and sciatica and find aquafit helps me a lot.. after it first happened walking was the only thing that helped until I saw a chiropractor and now I go to the gym regularly
  • judejubee
    judejubee Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I hv a Spinal cord stimulator implant! Saved my sanity and my back feels 98% great at all times! Praise GOD and the Doc!
  • Grace2188
    Grace2188 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have quite bad scoliosis, although I haven't had any surgery for it, I still need to do regular physio and if it gets worse then possibly will need to wear a back brace.

I found that stretching often, especially before and after workouts really helps. Also, starting with a little bit of excersize and then building up from there should hopefully help to strengthen the muscles so that they can cope better.

Doing this has really helped me and now I can, within reason, do most cardio workouts so long as I allow my back time to recover.

Hope this helps, sorry it's not a quick fix!