Accurate TDEE online calculator

Options
Hello,

Everyting is in the title, i am searching for an accurate TDEE calculator. I only have 11 lbs to go to achieve my goal but i feel like my 1290 cal + exercice routine frustrates me too much.

I'd like to calculate more accurately my TDEE in order to see if i eat too less. I exercice twice a week and aim for a 1200 cal burning per week (more or less because of the accuracy of the machine calculation) but i do cardio 1-1h30 each session

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    scooby.com
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,059 Member
    Options
    If you are using this site, you are supposed to eat MORE than your 1290 on exercise days, not try to burn off 1200.

Here, you may benefit from this video from the sticky posts:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10503681/exercise-calories-do-i-eat-these-a-video-explanation/p1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67USKg3w_E4
  • BaguetteChaude
    BaguetteChaude Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks, i actually visited this site and completely changed my objectives. I am going to try to keep my 1200 cal out and up my intake to 1590 a day.

I was always so unsure about what to do of exercice calories with the defaulted MFP calories intake, so now i have an answer ! :)
  • bacterias
    bacterias Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't think it'll vary from scooby, but https://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/ has been my favorite for awhile, gives a bit more info on the formulas used, and includes formulas that take body fat % into account.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    sisine5800 wrote: »
    Hello,

Everyting is in the title, i am searching for an accurate TDEE calculator. I only have 11 lbs to go to achieve my goal but i feel like my 1290 cal + exercice routine frustrates me too much.

I'd like to calculate more accurately my TDEE in order to see if i eat too less. I exercice twice a week and aim for a 1200 cal burning per week (more or less because of the accuracy of the machine calculation) but i do cardio 1-1h30 each session

Thanks in advance :)

All of them are only as accurate as you allow it to be by selecting honest options.

From your comments above - you made MFP less potentially accurate by using it wrong because you were unsure of exercise calories you picked the 1 totally wrong value - Zero.

Sites that realize the ancient 1919 Harris study that gave 5 levels for only exercise (some say days, some say hours) and no differences about daily activity levels, and have something better have better potential.

Not sure how a mail carrier and a desk jockey with the same body stats and 4 hrs of exercise a week could have the same TDEE those sites would give.
  • BaguetteChaude
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I'll add that even the best TDEE calculator isn't "accurate". It's a generalization based on your stats. It's a starting point. You start with what MFP (which uses NEAT so you log exercise and eat those calories back) or a TDEE calculator (which includes exercise already) gives you, and after 4-6 weeks if your progress isn't as expected, you tweak the number up or down and keep going. Your own results will lead you to accuracy. Good luck!

I sucessfully lost 17lb with the defaulted MFP calorie intake and now i feel like I am frustrated even though it is steady weight loss. So I will try the TDEE i calculated through the online calculator and see if it works for me, thank all of you for your advice
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I'll add that even the best TDEE calculator isn't "accurate". It's a generalization based on your stats. It's a starting point. You start with what MFP (which uses NEAT so you log exercise and eat those calories back) or a TDEE calculator (which includes exercise already) gives you, and after 4-6 weeks if your progress isn't as expected, you tweak the number up or down and keep going. Your own results will lead you to accuracy. Good luck!

I sucessfully lost 17lb with the defaulted MFP calorie intake and now i feel like I am frustrated even though it is steady weight loss. So I will try the TDEE i calculated through the online calculator and see if it works for me, thank all of you for your advice

Why are you frustrated if you are losing steadily? If you have less than 20 lbs to lose, you can really only expect to lose 0.5lbs-1lb per week. Certainly, you can experiment if you want, but I'd hate to see you move away from something that's working for you :smile:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    There's really no such thing as an "accurate" TDEE calculator. All of these calculators use population statistics and various algorithms to come up with a reasonably good estimate to get started. It's all an estimate and their are going to be variables outside of your control...maybe a little more or less movement on a given day to the next, etc.

I've been in maintenance for years and your TDEE isn't a singular number...it's a range depending on the day.
  • BaguetteChaude
    Options

Why are you frustrated if you are losing steadily? If you have less than 20 lbs to lose, you can really only expect to lose 0.5lbs-1lb per week. Certainly, you can experiment if you want, but I'd hate to see you move away from something that's working for you :smile:

Ah now i am starting to reconsider ... I don't want to ruin my effort. I guess i just hang on a little longer and stop wanting everything too fas as I as so close to my goal haha
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I took the average of three online TDEE calculations and it wasn’t much different from MFP settings,
  • aortegasep
    aortegasep Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I did same exercise for me and also very similar result in either calculator. Definitely most critical here is to accurately logg all food in order to be at desired cals/day
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Over the course of a week or longer then a TDEE derived goal and MFP + exercise derived goal should end up in the same place.

It's just a choice between a varied daily amount when you eat more on exercise days or a same every day allowance that includes a proportion of your estimated exercise calories.

Neither method is better for everyone but you could surmise that with the MFP way at least you know your exercise duration when you have actually done it as opposed to guessing an average and very vague amount of exercise in advance.