Dollar general (no fresh foods)

Options
2»

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    fyi...if you are looking for someone to bring you groceries, look for community sites/webpages/community centers designed for the elderly in your area...a lot of older folks are housebound and that's frequently the easiest way to find local people who will run those kinds of errands for you or you might even be able to just negotiate a ride.
  • piercekristy875
    piercekristy875 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Can't you just go to the store every day? Or every couple days so you don't have to buy a bunch of groceries all at once?

I like using the reusable grocery bags, if you can find the more sturdy, thicker ones with longer straps so they fit over your shoulder. I'm usually only walking about 7 blocks to the grocery, so it's not too far, and I go every day or every other day so I'm not getting bags and bags of stuff, just whatever I need now or in the immediate future. If I had to walk a longer distance, I would probably use a backpack so the weight would be more evenly distributed across the shoulders and then maybe just a reusable grocery bag for things that I don't want squished like bread or chips or whatever is light.

It would be a 30 minute walk there and back which I'm not very in shape to do, although that's a goal. I might have to go to dg more which is just a 20 minute walk total.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    fyi...if you are looking for someone to bring you groceries, look for community sites/webpages/community centers designed for the elderly in your area...a lot of older folks are housebound and that's frequently the easiest way to find local people who will run those kinds of errands for you or you might even be able to just negotiate a ride.

^ this is definitely a good thing to look for. I shop for a couple elderly neighbors when the weather is particularly hot or cold or hostile and would be happy to do it for anyone else who needed it. I do it to be neighborly but some folks charge a small fee. Either way, it's a possibility for you.