Starting a little depressed and anxious...but starting

Options
I’m 26 years old and currently in graduate school for Social Work (graduating in May!). As the title says I’m starting this journey a little depressed and anxious about my health in general—but also serious about getting to my goals. I’ve always been an anxious person, since I was young(er) and this year after my routine check up with my primary care physician, I realized my anxiety was slowly ruining my life and it all had to do with my health. I started exercising 4-5 days/week about 2 weeks ago and tracking my food intake. I am trying to climb out of this depression I’ve been feeling due to anxiety, especially since it’s the holidays, but it’s been rough. So bad, I’ve been waking up to nightmares for the past week. I could use any encouragement and support, also tough love is welcome.

My physician says to get me to a healthier BMI, she wants me to lose 10% of my current weight. For now, that’s 21 pounds. I’m down 2 pounds after one week of tracking/exercise, so trying to celebrate the small victories as well. A personal goal of mine (NSV) is to get back into yoga regularly (and practice meditation) at least 3 times a week.

Looking forward to joining this community ✨

Replies

• puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome! I also suffer from depression and anxiety. The biggest thing with health and weight loss is recognize that you aren't perfect, there will be days or even weeks that don't go to plan and it is ok. You can move on from that and still succeed. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    puffbrat wrote: »
    Hi and welcome! I also suffer from depression and anxiety. The biggest thing with health and weight loss is recognize that you aren't perfect, there will be days or even weeks that don't go to plan and it is ok. You can move on from that and still succeed. Feel free to add me as a friend.

^ Well said! I suffer from lifelong depression and anxiety but have found a nice balance with some meds and regular exercise. This, of course, varies by person. But, I certainly understand the struggle.

Been here five years, lost some weight, ran a few bulk/cut cycles and am maintaining currently. I'm happy to offer feedback and support as well.
  • copperivy
    copperivy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The first step is the hardest, but you faced up to the truth and took it anyway. That's a win all by itself!

If you're looking for a good meditation app, I like Insight Timer.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    It's dark and cold and holiday season. Next month losing weight will be the IN thing again
  • leighannrenee2014
    leighannrenee2014 Posts: 11 Member
    Options

Thanks for the encouragement, I’m learning that set backs are just moments that pass and I can keep going and not throw away all of my progress. Tried to add you as a friend but not sure if I did it right—thanks so much, again!

• leighannrenee2014
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »

^ Well said! I suffer from lifelong depression and anxiety but have found a nice balance with some meds and regular exercise. This, of course, varies by person. But, I certainly understand the struggle.

Been here five years, lost some weight, ran a few bulk/cut cycles and am maintaining currently. I'm happy to offer feedback and support as well.

Thank you so much—that definitely makes me feel less alone in this battle. I’m going to talk with my doctor again in a few weeks to address my depression/anxiety. Exercise has been good for me to let off some anxious thoughts
  • leighannrenee2014
    Options
    copperivy wrote: »
    The first step is the hardest, but you faced up to the truth and took it anyway. That's a win all by itself!

If you're looking for a good meditation app, I like Insight Timer.

Thanks for the encouragement—I agree and am happy to be starting on this journey. Thanks for the meditation app recommendation!
  • leighannrenee2014
    Options
    hroderick wrote: »
    It's dark and cold and holiday season. Next month losing weight will be the IN thing again

It does make it harder to get outside, but I’ve been trying some indoor exercises and that’s been boosting my moods a little!
  • evesuccess2
    evesuccess2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Glad to be on this journey with you! We can do it! Hope that the combination of healthy eating and movement works well for you. I was on meds for anxiety in my 30s for some months, but after that the combo of healthy habits + sleep + not working as hard has worked for me. But meds were good to get me back on the right track.
  • leighannrenee2014
    Options
    Glad to be on this journey with you! We can do it! Hope that the combination of healthy eating and movement works well for you. I was on meds for anxiety in my 30s for some months, but after that the combo of healthy habits + sleep + not working as hard has worked for me. But meds were good to get me back on the right track.

Thank you! I think it will be a slow process but ultimately it will be a successful one—I enjoy moving my body and eating good for me foods, I just need to get the moods under control so they don’t distract me from my goals 🙌🏾 thanks again for your warm welcome and support!
  • Cjfields1
    Cjfields1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have found exercise and keeping busy pushing my body helps my anxiety
  • jessimia
    jessimia Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    You're at the right place! There’s great support here on the threads. I completely commiserate with you. Been battling with depression and anxiety since a very young age as well. It truly is a battle getting thoughts under control, so good for you for recognizing that. That’s been a current undertaking of mine as well, and proper eating with moderate exercise seem to really help.

I was once prescribed meds in graduate school for anxiety when I had a double load of classes (24 units). Tried one pill but never took another. Do you think the overall stress and heavy load of grad school may be exasperating things for you? If so, can you lighten your load? I find that when I overbook my schedule even now 20 years later things tend to worsen emotionally.

I think we could really support one another so feel free to add me as a friend 😊
  • mwalle09
    mwalle09 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Anxiety is tough but you are controlling what you want to and finding a plan and exercising with that sort of focus will help. It seems like you've taken a lot of very good steps quickly.
  • skillettosser
    skillettosser Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I also suffer from depression and for me regular exercise and prescription meds are what works. I’m glad to hear you are going to talk to your doctor about meds. Especially since you’ve been suffering from anxiety for a really long time. There are some great options out there.
  • leighannrenee2014
    Options
    I also suffer from depression and for me regular exercise and prescription meds are what works. I’m glad to hear you are going to talk to your doctor about meds. Especially since you’ve been suffering from anxiety for a really long time. There are some great options out there.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience and for the encouragement! Yeah, looking forward to discussing my options with my doctor
  • leighannrenee2014
    Options
    My blood pressure has improved over the past two days. I’ve been monitoring it twice daily (once at night and in the mornings)—feeling in higher spirits today ♥️ thanks all for your support and warm welcome
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    My blood pressure has improved over the past two days. I’ve been monitoring it twice daily (once at night and in the mornings)—feeling in higher spirits today ♥️ thanks all for your support and warm welcome

Happy to see things are improving 😄
  • jessimia
    jessimia Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    So glad to hear you’re feeling better! 🤗