Low Fat Chewy Granola Bars

Options
muitobem
muitobem Posts: 436 Member
Low Fat Chewy Granola Bars with Pecans, Raisins and Chocolate Chips
Servings: 16 • Size: 1 square or bar
Calories: 183.1 • Fat: 7.8 g • Carb: 29.7 g • Fiber: 2.6 g • Protein: 2.8 g • Sugar: 17.4
Sodium: 162.5

Ingredients:
1 cup oat flour* (or 1 cup oats finely ground in food processor or blender)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup unpacked brown sugar
1 large egg
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups quick oats*
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped pecans
*use gluten-free oats if you are on a gluten free diet

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350°; line a 9 x 9 baking pan with 2 long pieces of parchment paper, long enough to go up over the sides for easy removal. Lightly spray with oil.

In a medium bowl, whisk together oat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.

In a large bowl, with a mixer cream together the butter and the sugar on medium speed.

Add the egg followed by the honey, applesauce and vanilla extract.

Working by hand, stir in the flour mixture and the oats until just combined and no streaks of flour remain; stir in the chocolate chips, raisins and nuts.

Spoon oats onto prepared baking dish, flattening to make even. Bake for about 23-25 minutes, or until light brown at the edges. They will seem soft and undercooked, but once they cool they will set completely.

Cool completely on a wire rack then refrigerate before cutting. This will help them hold together better. To cut use a long serrated bread knife and cut in a sawing motion.

Try them with cranberries instead of raisins, you can replace the chocolate chips with mini m and m's, leave the nuts out, add coconut, whatever you like!!

Replies

• Ruthann2
    Ruthann2 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Kalee34
    Kalee34 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy!!
  • jupaba
    jupaba Posts: 25
    Options
    Seems high in almost everything. A S'mores Quaker Chewy Bar only has 110 calories, 2.5 g fat and 20 g carbs. The
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    bump
  • velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    sounds good but too many carbs and not enough protein for me!

4925355.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • ladybug813
    Options
    thanks for sharing sounds delish!
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Not picking on you but wondered about pursuing a low fat diet which has been out of favor (except with food manufacturers dreaming up new products) for several years. A very long article in the New York Times from 2002 is here http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/07/magazine/what-if-it-s-all-been-a-big-fat-lie.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm

I know it's still popular ... just don't understand why? Eating fat does not make a person fat.
  • laumar3012
    Options
    i just think people need to find what works for them, i know for me personally i dont really eat low fat, but i do watch my fat intake a great deal. i honestly think every persons body is different.
  • muitobem
    muitobem Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Ah, but the Quaker smores bar really isn't as healthy...

And as to the fat, no fat doesn't make you fat but there is healthy fat and unhealthy fat and ppl need to know the difference..

This recipe can be modified to anyone lower fat, lower carb, lower calorie..etc..diet...this is just a start. And boy is it GOOD!!!
  • blynnblair
    blynnblair Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Bump! I've been searching for a new granola bar recipe, thank you :)
  • Genie30
    Genie30 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I love skinnytaste.com
    I'm assuming that is where you got this recipe...:bigsmile:

Which...by the way.... I found this exact recipe on her website today, and prepared my grocery list so I can make them this weekend!! Have you tried making them?? Did they turn out as great as they look on her recipe website?? And did they taste yummy??
  • kelley_m
    kelley_m Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    bump this sounds delish...I am going to try these