Am I allowed to eat pickles in phase 1 of the Atkins diet?

Options
Im sure they dont have sugar. Im not sure about carbs. But it is a lot of sodium.

Replies

• KatScarberry
    KatScarberry Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I did the Adkins diet several years go and I think in Phase 1 you're supposed to avoid any vegetables (I think you bring those in on the 2nd or 3rd week). Of course things may have changed since then - it's been 7 or 8 years since I did the diet. Good luck!!!
  • bsemeraro
    Options
    That depends a lot on what type of pickles you mean. Some pickles actually do contain a pretty fair amount of sugar, and, like you said, there's the sodium issue to consider... here's a generic nutrition label that might be helpful: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/3006/2
  • lgwmab
    lgwmab Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I make a refrigerator pickle, and they do have sugar! It's equal amounts sugar, and salt, vinegar, and double to triple the amount of vinegar is water, plus dill. Very yummy, and after you make one batch, slice up the cucumbers, and add to the juice, 4 more days and you have more pickles! Oh, yes onion is also in the mix, and they taste just as yummy as the pickles!
  • Jenna70
    Jenna70 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    If you do not have one of the books I strongly suggest you get one. I just picked up The New Atkins for a New You which was published in 2010 and think it is even better than the original book I had and misplaced (think it was The New Atkins Diet Revolution or something like that). Everything you need to know is in there. I think some pickles have no carbs but you have to check the labels.

If you can't get a hold of a book, the website has quite a lot of information and you can download pdfs with the lists of allowed foods for each Phase.

This is Phase 1: http://www.atkins.com/Program/Phase1/WhatYouCanEatinthisPhase.aspx

Also, if you need more support click on "search" (within these Message Boards) and type Atkins in the box and you will find some threads for those of us living low carb.

Good luck to you!