Tips for feeling full?

Options
I can't seem to meet my calorie goals for weight loss. If i could just stop eating after dinner, i would be gold but i always want to have a bowl of Cheerios and some Liberte Coconut greek yogourt before bed, which puts me over my calorie limit by 500 calories!

How are you keeping yourself feeling full?

Maybe you can offer some tricks i havent tried yet.

Thanks

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    how much fat and protein are you getting per day?

what are your stats and calorie goal? it could well be that your calorie deficit is too steep
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Can you save some calories for after dinner so you can have some cereal, or yogurt?

Otherwise, I'd suggest lower calorie/high volume foods to allow you more food volume for your calorie buck. I'd also suggest drinking more while you eat. But those are pretty generic suggestions... you'll have to find what satisfies you most.

On a related note, I second the comment about making sure your calorie goal is reasonable for you.
  • dulinh
    dulinh Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could pre-log the calories for a bowl of cheerios or greek yogurt so you could make alternative choices throughout the day without going over your calorie goal.

If you're at a calorie deficit, sometimes you'll be hungry. You'll have to discover what works for you to deal with that. When I was eating at a deficit, 6 small meals/day with a good amount of protein helped me but you might find that something entirely different works for you.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    Pre-plan your food for the day.

Don't try to lose weight too fast. If you have less than 25 pounds to lose, set it at "lose 1/2 pound per week." 25-50 pounds, set it at "lose 1 pound per week." You want to be eating as much as you can and still lose weight at a sensible rate.

I simply had to eat dinner later and go to bed earlier. Then I delay breakfast for three hours when I first get up. I have two largish meals and a snack.

• PumpJockeyy
    PumpJockeyy Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day it really just comes down to self discipline/control. Which is a struggle for pretty much all of us i'd say lol :D
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Provided your intake is adequate for your goals and you are getting enough protein, fat and fibre, save some calories for night to have a snack before bed. I typically don't snack from lunch to dinner so I use those calories at night.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My willpower drops throughout the day so I adjusted with a lighter lunch (soup or salad) and a high volume snack in the evening. I need dry crunch so air popped popcorn does it for me.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Make sure you’re getting enough protein
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I'm hungry before bed as well. I try to not go over 500 calories for dinner so I have some left for a bedtime snack.

I don't find cereal filling at all so rarely have than anymore. I do find Greek yogurt filling.

I had chicken, potato, and Buffalo cauliflower last night for dinner and it was super filling for me.

(If I want Buffalo cauliflower quicker and with less calories I sautee it and add butter and Frank's.)
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I never last the night if I only eat dinner. I think a great deal of it is psychological, as I've solved it by eating half my dinner during dinner time, and then the other half before I go to bed. I like to go to bed with something in my stomach, so this has helped.
  • counting_kilojoules
    Options
    Everybody's different. Maybe you need the evening snack (I thought I was one of those but I think it was habit more than anything else because I don't eat one anymore (due to reflux) and after a while I didn't miss it. Maybe you need to up one of your macros (fat, fibre or protein seem to be the most common ones recommended for satiety). Or maybe you need a bit more volume (more vegetables can help there, they're lower in calories so you can bulk out your meal). Good luck!
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Plan for an evening snack. Maybe like 250 calories which you save over the day to eat before bed. Plan for the snack to be a reasonable portion. I often have cereal in yogurt before bed and it's under 200 calories. I find cheerios with almond milk was yummy, but I was hungrier AFTER eating it - so I switched things up. I pick other cereals (usually something protein rich).

Are you eating too few calories over the day though?

and yes I eat a ton of raw veggies to fill in bulk. But before bed I like something more like cereal (grainy!)
  • zippie2223
    zippie2223 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Workout longer = Extra calories.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    joowelz wrote: »
    I can't seem to meet my calorie goals for weight loss. If i could just stop eating after dinner, i would be gold but i always want to have a bowl of Cheerios and some Liberte Coconut greek yogourt before bed, which puts me over my calorie limit by 500 calories!

How are you keeping yourself feeling full?

Maybe you can offer some tricks i havent tried yet.

Thanks

By eating huge bowls of salads at every meal :) volume my friend, all about volume... for me.

This works for me too. Side salad or steamed vegetables help a ton.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Can you eat something similar to cheerios with yogurt, but not 500 calories? My nonfat Greek yogurt is 80, and there should be cereals out there which have satisfying servings smaller than 400 calories. Then cut a couple hundred calories from something else you eat.