How do you get motivated

Options
Hey all, I struggle to get motivated. I just found out I have high blood pressure and I am at my highest weight of 215 but I still can’t get motivated to excersie. I have started tracking my food again and being good at staying under but I start this for a week but then just give up. What are some way you stay motivated.

Replies

• PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I don't know if one can be motivated to exercise. I think it takes determination to get it done. Set a time to start and a duration of activity and just do it. I think that's the only way to get it done.
    It does get easier as you go along but I think if one waits for the feeling of motivation to get started, it likely won't happen.
  • LovelySavannah
    LovelySavannah Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Each time I feel lazy and wanna skip the workout for the day or give in to junk food. I usually go on some shopping website, look at clothes that I've favorited and think of how badly I wanna look good in that, how nice it will be to have clothes that fit comfortably, wear skin tight shirts that I don't have to worry about sucking in my stomach, don't worry about jeans being so tight that it gives a muffin top, wear bikinis, and having much more lingerie that looks great. It works everytime for me and has helped me lost about 25 lbs so far.
  • whatalazyidiot
    whatalazyidiot Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    My best motivation is eating my exercise calories. I want extra snacks or dessert, so I exercise to earn them.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    Trying on clothes .. I just tried on the outfit I purchased for New Year's Eve.. It looks okay...but there is no room to gain.. doing that will keep me on the straight and narrow over the holiday.
  • leighannrenee2014
    leighannrenee2014 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Same here—I’m at my highest 212 and was not at all motivated to move my body. Do you like dancing? Listening to music? Meditation? Walking outside with a friend/family member? Try incorporating some things you already love. I don’t hate exercise but sometimes I have to drag myself to do it—but lately, I’ve been sticking to something that involves my music on my headphones. I’ll do a 30 minute HIIT for beginners workout on YouTube and put my music on while I do it (HASfit on YT has free 30+ minute workouts for all levels of fitness) So far that’s been good for me. Or I’ll do stationary biking for 30-35 minutes and some strength training with my music on. Find what works in terms of what you enjoy—if that’s sitting in front of the TV (guilty 🙋🏾‍♀️) then take your Netflix or Hulu with you on your walk, to the gym or play it on your headphones while you exercise. You will find something that works for you, just keep an open mind and take note of what piques your interest—and lets you have fun too!
  • Sambo_fitness
    Sambo_fitness Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    What I use as inspiration, not motivation, is following people on instagram. I also reward myself for reaching my goals. One example: If I reach one of my weightloss goals, I purchase a new outfit.

A bit of advice - start SMALL. Make small changes, whether it is parking further away so you have to walk a little bit further, or making small changes to your diet. It will not be easy, but it will be worth it by making small changes and building consistency.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options

this. don't rely on "motivation".

Don't pick exercise you don't enjoy doing. pick something small to start that you enjoy (park a bit farther so you walk more - joint a group activity you LIKE).

don't set a goal that is hard to work with. set reasonable goal and keep food you LIKE in your daily diet. I still have chocolate and dessert. I still snack.

PLan. plan to have go to snacks and quick meals. Plan your meal ahead so you are not sitting there at 6pm starving trying to "make a good decision on what to eat".
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Don't expect to feel motivated, just get up and do it anyway...like when you did chores as a kid...no, you didn't WANT to do that, but you HAD to do that, so just get it done.

Try different exercises, some you will like better than others so you can make the chore easier by doing stuff you enjoy more or just hate less.

Take brutally honest photos and multiple measurements as well as tracking the scale...results can help to make you see what you are earning, kind of like how having an allowance motivates some kids.

There is really only one person on the planet responsible for your well being, and that person is you and you alone, invest in yourself, you are worth it.
  • chrisanderson3015
    chrisanderson3015 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I typically rely on how I want to feel. I remember what it feels like after I exercise, I remember what it feels like to not be stiff after sitting too long, I remember what it feels like to wear clothes that fit better. Before I eat or throughout the day, I think about the times I have over eaten or eaten too much junk and how I felt and knowing I don't like feeling that way. I remember that I want to be able to roll around on the floor with my grandkids someday (hopefully). After enough days of exercise and eating right in a row, it makes it easier to remember how I want to feel.
  • RealWorldStrengthLLC
    Options
    Motivation is fleeting and fickle.
    Dedication, discipline, and habits are what get *kitten* done.

Always remember that.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,468 Member
    Options
    Another motivation skeptic. Motivation is too unreliable to sustain anything for long.

I’ve come to view motivation as sort of like falling in love with your program. After the initial rush, you are either committed or not.

Agree that the focus should be habits. The good news is that good habits will become just as habitual as the unhelpful ones.

But sometimes new habits have to be defended. Sometime you have to do certain stuff just because. Go to the gym at gym time because it’s gym time. Determination will take you a lot farther than motivation.
  • Whey125
    Whey125 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    If I waited on motivation to kick in then I would never accomplish my tasks and meet my goals.

I set an alarm and just work out in the mornings as this is the time that is most consistent for me.

My eating habits is what I need to focus on now and I realised that it is all about planning and prepping.

I am hoping with time, it becomes part of my lifestyle.
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I don't rely on motivation. I keep myself accountable.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Just do something active that you enjoy. Exercise doesn't have to be droning away on some piece of stationary equipment or jumping around your living room to a DVD, etc. Most of my exercise is recreational activity...I enjoy cycling, I enjoy hiking, I enjoy taking my dog for walks, I enjoy swimming, I enjoy rock climbing, and I like getting into the weight room a couple days per week.

When you enjoy what you're doing, very little motivation is needed. Beyond that, regular exercise is just something that is scheduled into my day like anything else I need to get done.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Better to work on slowly building good habits as opposed to relying on "motivation". Pick one small change that you can commit to and work on it. When you've mastered it, move on to the next small thing. Since you mention tracking, focus on doing that daily until it becomes a habit without worrying too much about hitting an exact number or introducing exercise.
  • cariwaldick
    cariwaldick Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Getting fit and healthy isn't something you'll do for a short time, then go back to normal. I'm in this for life. I don't want to die from something I had the power to prevent. Yesterday I ate and relaxed, but today it's back to the program. The motivation is my life--and living it fully. I have good and bad days, but I can't give up on myself. Blood pressure is the tip of the iceberg. Stay on this path, and you're in for diabetes, arthritis, and heart disease--or worse.

Don't quit!