Anyone have Cancer or a Hystertomy and having problems losti

Options
I had Cancer 9 1/2 years ago and a radical hysterectomy. Since then I have gained a little over 100 pounds. I wasnt able to work, my marriage went down the drain, had 3 small kids at home and I was very depressed.

Now I am Cancer free. Working a job that I love for almost 4 years and Divorced since December 1st. My kids are 12, 14 and 19 and they dont need Mom as much. I am happier then I have ever been and now its time to work on me.

I started my weight loss journey March 21, 2011 and I have lost 17 pounds. I have been gaining and losing the same 4 pounds for almost 3 months. I have the food part pretty much under control. I have started Zumba twice a week and I go to the Y twice a week and walk the treadmill. I have been doing this consistently for 3 weeks. Usually I can see a loss within 4 days of weighing in. This week I have worked out the hardest and the scale hasnt moved. I am getting so frustrated. I have never stuck with anything to do with weight loss for more then a week before. So 5 months is pretty good for me.

My question to Cancer Survivors or anyone who has had a hysterectomy is have you had this problem? Im not sure if Im not losing because of hormones or what is going on. I no longer have insurance so I have not been using the hormone patch for a year and a half. I started a weight loss group on facebook and everyone is dropping weight but im not.

Any Advice, Suggestions or Tips would be so appreciated! Im trying not to give up. Thanks!

Replies

• Lsqueezy
    Lsqueezy Posts: 128
    Options
    Congratulations on being cancer free! My sister is a cancer survivor and has had a hysterectomy. She also has a difficult time losing weight. Her doctor has told her it has a lot to do with the chemo drugs and various other medications she has had to take throughout the years. Her doctor suggested Weight Watchers and exercise and it has been working for her. It will come off, unfortunately, just very slowly!
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I haven't had those issues, but with my first pregnancy I was very sick and sedentary all the time. I gained like 70lbs. I struggled to lose weight and tried many things to get it going. I think that every bit of muscle I had converted to fat because of the sedentaryness of my lifestyle. If you have been sedentary in gaining that weight you might need to build muscle mass to help get your metabolism up and running. I would really focus on those measurements for a while and the scale will follow.

surviving cancer and an unhappy marriage can take a huge toll on the body. 17lbs is no small success. I would look for 3 5 lb bags of sugar next time you are at the super market and lift those all at once. look for a 17 lb weight at the gym.

Best wishes to you.
  • beccapos
    beccapos Posts: 13
    Options
    I had Uterine cancer and a hysterectomy back in Jan. I was able to keep my ovaries, so haven't had to do hormone therapy or anything. I had a very difficult time losing weight before the surgery, which I think was due to my hormones being out of whack. Since my surgery, I feel like my hormones are back to normal and I've lost almost 20 lbs. I go weeks without losing anything though and then some weeks I'll lose a couple of lbs. I think as long as you stick to your diet and exercise plan, the weight will come off, maybe slower than you'd like, but it'll happen! Hormones play such a huge part in losing and gaining weight. YAY for being cancer free!!! It's a good feeling, isn't it? Best of luck!! Keep fighting!
  • Harper0618
    Harper0618 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    It is coming off very slow but I guess I should be happy the weight is coming off and I am keeping it off. I will keep what you all have said in mind. dlaplume2....I will try that with the sugar. I also gained 70 pounds with my oldest 19 years ago and still had some of that weight that I never lost plus some from having 2 more kids 17 months apart. beccapos..I had Uterine Cancer too. It does feel good to be cancer free. I am so happy your doing well since your surgery!! Now if I could just lose this weight I will feel much better. Lsqueezy....they found the Cancer and I went to have surgery right away so luckily I didnt have to go through chemo. I lost my Mom to Breast Cancer 15 years ago. She battled for 5 years and went through Chemo, Radiation and a Bone Marrow Transplant. She fought til the end.

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond, the kind words, motivation and support!!