What to eat after burning 300 calories at the gym?

Just finished a gym session but wondering what is best to eat!

Replies

• makkimakki2018
    makkimakki2018 Posts: 414 Member
    Iif it were me id probably drink whey with water and that would be a little more than 200 calories. Ofc i would still eat other food shortly after. Perhaps a smoothie?
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Are you hungry?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Are you hungry?

That^^
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    edited December 2018
    nicdddd wrote: »

So this is what happens every weekend after my masters rowing practices where are an hour to an hour and a half in length and on the water. A bunch of us go get coffee (typically black - because free refills) with half of us getting a pastry and half getting some sort of carb protein thing. None of us are competing at an international level but most compete regionally and some nationally (and some of those people have won national titles).

Right now after rowing on the water, going to coffee and getting a pastry and shave ice, and then rowing 16,000 meters on the erg I'm eating three chicken wings, a small portion of thai papaya salad, and about half a cup of sticky rice. I have no good idea as to how much I burned this morning on the water, but I burned ~970 calories on the erg.

(Note - I don't typically eat chicken wings, but there's a Pok Pok Wing near me now and their are the only chicken wings that had that I really enjoy)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    nicdddd wrote: »

What time of day is it?

Usually, I'd go with breakfast, lunch or dinner, whichever is next. If it's a while until one of those, but I'm pretty hungry, a snack is good.

For snacks, if I'm dragging a bit energy-wise, I'd prioritize carbs (fruit, maybe); if it's mostly the hungries, and it's a while until a meal, I'd prioritize protein, which is filling for me (string cheese, dry roasted soybeans, crispy chickpeas, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, skim latte, that sort of thing). If both, a mix.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    I don't usually eat after working out. But I do have coffee. My typical workout is probably around 100-150 calories and is either 30 minutes riding a stationary bike or 1 hour of weights. Neither of these activities are so strenuous or depleting where I will need to eat immediately afterwards.

If you feel like you need to eat afterwards due to low energy I would have something with carbs. Maybe a banana or apple. Or if an immediate pick me up is needed, maybe a few pieces of candy?
  • A protien shake (a carb heavy one)
    Beef jerky
    Almonds
    Fruit
    A turkey sandwich
    Ground beef/elk/bison
    rice/bread
    An omelette
    An egg white omlette
    Greek yogurt
    Chicken
    Steak
    Protien bar
    PEANUT BUTTER
    Any combination of the above

The list goes on. Just make sure you hit your daily protien and fat goals, and get some carbs to replenish the glycogen unless you're keto something.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Lots of good answers already. I usually drink a glass of Fairlife chocolate milk after my workout.