Re-connecting With An Old Acquaintance

Options
Anyone ever wonder what happened to that one friend you lost touch with? Well I was cleaning out old files yesterday and ran across a resume of a friend during his post graduate studies some thirty years ago. I looked up his name on LinkedIn and found someone with the same name but wow how he had changed (I changed too and gained a lot of weight.) I was reluctant to contact him thinking I was mistaken or after so many years it may be slightly awkward, but decided to reach out to see if he even remembered me. Even thirty years later he remembered. Anyone else been able to reach out to old friends and acquaintances with social media? That simple act motivated me thoroughly clean up my office.

Replies

• feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    jbarr9011 wrote: »
    Anyone ever wonder what happened to that one friend you lost touch with?

Anyone else been able to reach out to old friends and acquaintances with social media?

Glad you got to do this.

Yeah, I've reconnected with a few people I was close to back in elementary & jr. high (before my family moved away and we lost touch), and that's been really awesome. Super-enriching to have them back in my "life," in some capacity.
    That simple act motivated me thoroughly clean up my office.

I don't see the direct connection, but good for you! ;)
  • anothermfpuser
    anothermfpuser Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    That's awesome.

Those that I was close to in my elementary and high school days (about 8 of them) still connect now as time allows.

I was never considered part of the 'in-crowd' or popular growing up. I did try reconnecting with many of the folks I went to school with from grades 1-8 on FB, however they made it clear they still want nothing to do with me today.
  • jbarr9011
    jbarr9011 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    anothermfpuser, they probably aren't worth having as friends anyway.
  • anothermfpuser
    anothermfpuser Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    anothermfpuser, they probably aren't worth having as friends anyway.

Thank you... Agreed. To bad though had to learn that the hard way growing up. All good now and in proper perspective.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Via facebook, I've reconnected with most of the kids from my block growing up. That's been fun.
  • aimjolie
    aimjolie Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I reconnected with my childhood friend. We lost contact when I headed off to college. I always wondered what happened to her. We are now in our late 60’s. 2 years ago I finally tried to find her and did. We met for lunch and it was like time stood still. Conversation flowed just like we were kids and teenagers. Now we keep in touch and meet as time allows. I am so happy she is back in my life!
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Yes Facebook has helped me find old friends and also find relatives/friends of my husband. He is from Jamaica, came over to the UK as a child. It was lovely to see him re-connect with some of the family and people he grew up with over there.
  • ImSoSquishy
    ImSoSquishy Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    i also had something similar happen. i had a really close friend whom i hung out with constantly for 7 years but we just slowly stopped hanging out and talking in the past two years because of life. i recently thought about him so i decided to send him a text on whatsapp. i said "hey, it's been a while, how's everything going?", but he never responded me, there were two blue check marks so i know he opened it and saw my message. he just didn't bother replying me. heh... so it's whatever i guess lols.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Anyone ever wonder what happened to that one friend you lost touch with? Well I was cleaning out old files yesterday and ran across a resume of a friend during his post graduate studies some thirty years ago. I looked up his name on LinkedIn and found someone with the same name but wow how he had changed (I changed too and gained a lot of weight.) I was reluctant to contact him thinking I was mistaken or after so many years it may be slightly awkward, but decided to reach out to see if he even remembered me. Even thirty years later he remembered. Anyone else been able to reach out to old friends and acquaintances with social media? That simple act motivated me thoroughly clean up my office.

To reconnect with a good friend and continue as though you'd never lost touch, revitalises tech-positivity.

Friends, peers, former associates and relatives of mine, my siblings and my parents always found me when I'd had my social media accounts via the popular sites, all of which I've terminated, for I don't care for the circus melee, privvying all manner of conflict. For many years now, it's strictly on here and another like site, only Natural Heritage Community pronged, which I'd revived 3 days ago, after someone from my community wrote me. Rarely do I spot anyone I recognise which I'd very recently experienced here with a Grade 6 classmate of mine who'd posted on the Board. I never hesitate to comfortably engage if anyone is familiar.