What are you eating this holiday weekend?

Options
I've got a slew of holiday parties this weekend and am pretty hype about the veggie trays, shrimp cocktails and cheese boards. What are you eating this holiday weekend??

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Normal stuff for me, other than a few drinks last night, there's nothing different till Christmas day.
  • MalkinMagic71
    MalkinMagic71 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Anything I want. It's the holidays. Won't derail me.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    LoL I’ve had a Vienna sausage sandwich and some chips so far. Making more confections tomorrow so will have some of that. Not cooking anything special for Christmas

Exciting, I know!
  • laurenq1991
    laurenq1991 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    We're not doing the bigger family Christmas until January because we have a big project due January 1st, so it's going to be pretty simple. On Christmas Eve my mother-in-law is probably going to make vegetable biryani with basmati rice and I'm going to make a lentil vegetable soup, crescent rolls stuffed with dates and Dubliner cheese, and I might make brownies and/or buy desserts. Some of our friends are getting together on Christmas night at a vegan restaurant and we will probably go, so if we do I will get my favorite Indian butter "chicken" and some cake. Thursday is our third wedding anniversary so we're going to the restaurant where we got married and I will probably have some kind of fancy pasta dish. This weekend is just going to be a normal weekend (already had holiday parties earlier in the month).
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    It's just a weekend. Christmas is Tuesday.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Pretty normal stuff. We're not traveling and all of the parties (except actual Christmas Eve/Day) are over for us. After a four hour hike this morning, had some extra calories from a protein milkshake and stuff...but nothing unusual. My husband's currently making a from-scratch calzone (yum!) and we're going to share a bottle of celebratory prosecco from my recent raise at work.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I'm eating whatever my daughter and I cook. She made some chocolate meringue cookies today and I had two before they disappeared. I bought some extra bacon today so that's going to be happening. For Tuesday we'll have ham with mashed potatoes and something green. Christmas is not a big "foodie" event in my family.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Today I had fried rice.
    Tomorrow I am having orange chicken and maybe sugar cookies.
    Christmas eve we are having fried chicken, macaroni and cheese, salad and cake
    Christmas day we are having deviled eggs, veggie tray, ham, mashed potatoes, cranberry apple orange salad, green beans with mushrooms
    December 26 reward- cinnamon rolls and leftovers

I am not attending any Christmas parties this year. Doing some stress management by keeping things simple and low key.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    We have had 3 family parties since Thanksgiving and have 2 more after Christmas so I declared a "no family" policy for Christmas and it's just my husband and me - we need the break!

We are doing normal weekend foods but I I picked up a bunch of cheese and crackers and munchie type stuff for Christmas Eve (while we watch movies) and am doing prime rib, baked potatoes and asparagus for Christmas dinner (keeping it easy).
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Christmas eve and boxing day I am cooking for 17 and 18 people (both sides of the family). Turkey, ham, veggie and meat stuffing, gravy, Arizona beans, lasagne (2 kinds), vegan shepherds pie (mushroom & lentil), sweet potatoes, roast potatoes and Brussels sprouts. We have vegetarians, vegans and omnivores so gotta have something for everyone. 😁
  • skelterhelter
    skelterhelter Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    I'll be going out to an early dinner at a local restaurant for Christmas Eve. Christmas Day we're just doing loads of appetizers: chicken wings, shrimp cocktail, veggie dip, chips, cheese and crackers, plus many more. Not to mention the dessert. We did that a few years ago and loved the simplicity.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm actually kinda over cookies because it's been a bit insane here lately when it comes to those, and I don't feel like cooking... so I really have no idea!
  • NadNight
    NadNight Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I am eating....everything! It's Christmas!

We're currently having a lazy weekends food-wise (left-over sausage butties on a rainy Sunday might be heaven...)
    and we've got mince pies and sweets in. I don't even want to know how much I've eaten. We got some Percy Pigs from M&S and I've discovered that there's 19g of sugar in three sweets. Wowzers....and I have definitely eaten more than three.

We have our traditional Christmas Eve Chinese Takeaway tomorrow and then the usual on Christmas day- chocolate/sweets for breakfast, a Christmas dinner (Turkey, Lamb, Chicken, Pigs in blankets, mash, roast potatoes and parsnips, honey glazed carrots, sprouts, sage stuffing, cranberry sauce and onion gravy) followed by trifle then After Eights and cheese and crackers to keep us going.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Everyone brings an appetizer and cookie/candy plate to share. 20 families with my sisters, nieces & nephews, on Christmas Eve. Christmas Day, ham dinner with au gratin potatoes, corn, pistachio salad, homemade dinner rolls and rum cake for dessert.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,449 Member
    Options
    I cooked a Thai coconut and shrimp curry yesterday, with lovely fresh local shrimps. This will last me 2 more days. And I'll start cooking a Moroccan soup with chickpeas and mince balls today as I brought lamb mince from my local market that needs preparing.
  • admaarie
    admaarie Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    I’ve had a few “holiday” treats: cookies/donuts but until tomorrow my eating has been pretty normal/routine based. Tomorrow I’ll have more cultural food bc that’s what we always eat during the holidays and a strawberry shortcake that I can’t wait for lol. But still pretty normal with a few “treats” here and there.
  • asonrody
    asonrody Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I went to a few Christmas parties so I got to eat a lot of Japanese food and cookies the past couple of weeks. I got a cold on Saturday though, so tea, soup, and orange juice are what I've been having so far. :mask:
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    asonrody wrote: »
    I went to a few Christmas parties so I got to eat a lot of Japanese food and cookies the past couple of weeks. I got a cold on Saturday though, so tea, soup, and orange juice are what I've been having so far. :mask:

Hope it passes quickly 😷
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Chocolate kisses!