NSV? Or just creepy?

Options
Jorra
Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
Lately one of my co-workers has gotten really excited about my weight loss. She doesn't speak much English, so it's hard to communicate with her what I'm doing. She keeps saying, "you so skinny, no more gorda!" and asks if I'm taking pills or on a diet. Today, she went so far as to take my lunch in the fridge and start looking through it to see what I was eating. It creeps me out, but I guess it's flattering too? I really wish she could understand when I tell her I'm just eating less and healthier.

In a less creepy compliment, another co-worker who hasn't been in for a few weeks came in today and said I've been losing a lot of weight.

Replies

• NewLife_11
    NewLife_11 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Does she want to lose weight too, maybe she just wants some advice.
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Maybe a bit strange? haha But NSVs none the less!!! (especially from that absent coworker). Great job on your success!
  • melbaby925
    melbaby925 Posts: 613
    Options
    HAHA - that's awesome in a totally creepy kind of way. I don't know that I'd want anyone poking around in my lunch bag, but that's great that people are noticing your hard work!
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    A little creepy to an American, but maybe just a cultural difference. She obviously has noticed that something has changed for the better. Good job! :)
  • Jorra
    Options
    Does she want to lose weight too, maybe she just wants some advice.

That's what I try to tell her every time she brings it up. I keep saying stuff like more vegetables and no fried foods (pointing to our deep fryers as I say it).
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    That's a little weird - I mean, the boundaries of courtesy would seem to suggest that you don't look through another person's lunch! But it does seem like she just genuinely wants to know how you have been so successful.
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Sounds like she wants to know your "secret":laugh: ....I think she wants to see what you are eating and possibly follow. It's nice to know that shes noticed though
  • justimogen
    Options
    Haha I think it's a little of both, nsv and creepy. It IS flattering (and congratulations on your loss!) but I may have drawn the line at the lunch thing.

By the way - Do you mind if I borrow "no more gorda!" for my new mantra? :wink:
  • Jorra
    Options
    Haha I think it's a little of both, nsv and creepy. It IS flattering (and congratulations on your loss!) but I may have drawn the line at the lunch thing.

By the way - Do you mind if I borrow "no more gorda!" for my new mantra? :wink:

Go for it! It's a pretty great statement.
  • Kat0310
    Kat0310 Posts: 341
    Options
    A little creepy to an American, but maybe just a cultural difference. She obviously has noticed that something has changed for the better. Good job! :)

Could be that, but yes, a little too forward of her to do that.

Great job on the weight loss, keep up the good work! :)
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    As a friend at work used to say about co-workers who came from other countries: "It's cultural." A female co-worker from the Philippines used to put her hands around my waist and say, "sexyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy". Kind of weird to me, but again, maybe it was just cultural".
  • KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    This. I know when I lived overseas, I had to get used to a whole new idea of what was socially appropriate when it comes to talking about weight loss/gain, and also personal space. My friends would tell me, "You are fatter today" or "your arms look smaller today" and stuff like that. After I had lived there for quite a while, a lady who lived down the street told me that when I moved there, I was fat, but that I wasn't anymore. They noticed (and commented) on every little change in weight/fitness. Totally not rude in that culture. So my guess is this lady's behavior is culturally appropriate for her.

Anyway, the great news is that your coworkers are noticing your weight loss. Way to go!
  • Jackie_Snape80
    Options
    Too bad the emphasis is solely on losing weight, and people assuming you're on a "diet". The fact that someone is trying to be healthy isn't as important as getting smaller for some reason. You're doing great, and I guess it's not too much you can do to change most people views on it :)
  • heretic911
    heretic911 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Too bad the emphasis is solely on losing weight, and people assuming you're on a "diet". The fact that someone is trying to be healthy isn't as important as getting smaller for some reason. You're doing great, and I guess it's not too much you can do to change most people views on it :)

Wow well said! I agree, to Jorra, Congrats on your success
  • Jorra
    Options

That's such a great point, Jackie! This is what frustrates me, she and others keep thinking I'm just on some diet that they want to know the rules of. I feel like I'll get that a lot when I go back to school too.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options

That's such a great point, Jackie! This is what frustrates me, she and others keep thinking I'm just on some diet that they want to know the rules of. I feel like I'll get that a lot when I go back to school too.

You probably will get that a lot when you go back to school because everyone is looking for the "secret", but that's a perfect opportunity for you to share with them that THERE IS NO SECRET and explain that it has to ultimately be a lifestyle change. People want to get skinny quick, but what they don't want to understand is that they didn't get fat quick. It's a long process that can't be mastered by a plan or a pill - it has to be a total lifestyle makeover.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!