Vegan Foods High Protein Low Carb

I need to incorporate more foods that are high in protein and low in carbs into my diet. I need more vegan food ideas!!

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited December 2018
    None are particularly high protein and low carb. Usually you are going to have to rely on a variety of protein sources, all of which have some carbs. Best bet for protein with fewer carbs are usually seitan and soy foods like tempeh, tofu, and black soy beans. If you want there are vegan protein powders. Why the worry about carbs?

Many good vegan sources of protein (like the wide variety of beans and lentils) will be quite high in fiber, which will off-set issues some (like those with IR) may have with carbs. Nuts and seeds aren't all that high in protein and have some carbs, but they tend to be a good source of fat calories and come with a protein bonus. Non starchy veg usually have a decent amount of protein per calorie (still not that high but it adds up). Again they have carbs, but part of that is fiber.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Seitan is minimal carbs

1oz is 21g protein and 4g carb

But the question should be asked - why on a diet that is typically higher carb because of food sources are you trying to go low carb?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,052 Member
    I spent three years in yoga retreat centers and met lots of healthy and fit vegans who probably ate around 60% carbs.

Unless you have a medical reason to limit carbs, you don't need to be low carb in order to lose weight.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited December 2018
    I need to incorporate more foods that are high in protein and low in carbs into my diet. I need more vegan food ideas!!

@soccerrules That's a lot of restrictions.

Are you going to be able to stick to this way of eating long enough to reach your goal weight and learn to keep it off?
  • soccerrules
    soccerrules Posts: 2 Member
    It’s not a diet! I forgot to add that I don’t eat enough protein on a day to day basis but I do eat foods with more carbs. I’m not trying to limit carbs but simply incorporate more protein.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Tofu, tempeh, and seitan are all higher protein plant foods that are somewhat lower in carbohydrates. Beans are another higher protein food, although they are higher in carbohydrates. Some people also find it helpful to supplement with a protein powder (hemp, pea, rice, and soy are all plant-based).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,987 Member
    For finding new protein sources, I think the thread below is a wonderful resource. It links to a spreadsheet that lists many, many foods by protein efficiency (most protein for fewest calories - which means relatively less carbs/fat compared to protein in those foods). As a vegan, you'll need to scroll past the mostly meaty/fishy things at the top of the spreadsheet, but you'll find plant-sourced foods further down the list. I'm a long-term vegetarian, and I found it very useful.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    You’re probably just fine on the protein intake unless you’re bodybuilding or living on fruit and bread, but tofu, tempeh, and seitan are all easy sources of protein. There are plenty of veggies that will give you little protein bumps, too, if you choose wisely and use them as staples. None of them have crazy high numbers, but they help. You can do sneaky things, too, like chickpea or lentil pastas (which are yummy and a good way to sneak in some protein).