zumba

Options
just wondering if anyone has lost weight doing zumba iv been going to two classes a week for three weeks and only lost one pound . my diet good and im also doing exercise dvds on the days i don't go .
thank you

Replies

• alexiskisses
    Options
    I have lost 25lbs doing Zumba 4xs a week, from January - May... Remember to keep you intensity level up, if possible, match your instructor...I have recently became a licensed Zumba Instructor and am currently looking for space to teach...
  • alexiskisses
    Options
    Alexis' Zumba Fitness LIKE MY FACEBOOK PAGE
  • countrydarling1
    countrydarling1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    could be that u have gained muscle.
  • nebgurl
    nebgurl Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Summer, I lost 38 lbs in large contributed to zumba. I decided to put the product to the test within the last month and have lost about 10 lbs watching my diet really focusing on small goals.

Indeed watch your intensity and get very comfortable with your body. The bigger the moves the more calories you will burn. Get a heart rate monitor and work smart through your workouts tracking your calorie expenditure. Also, keep watching your diet and try to eat clean... this is 80% of the journey!

Lastly, I encourage you to try other instructors classes for variety in Zumba. Find an instructor that is challenging, engaged, and fun. Like Alexis says "try and match the intensity of the instructor".... Work safely at a level 7-8 (smiling, breathy, but still able to have fun) and step it up periodically to resemble interval training. Hang in there pounds add up!!!! 1 lb is off to a good start! :)
  • summerflowers
    Options
    thank you ladies , im always at the front so i can match and push myself harder each week . there is 3 different instructors wed , thursday and sunday . iv only seen the wed instructor so far cause the sunday one has been off sick so the wed one is covering . i can't get to todays (ill anyway) or wednesdays because of hubby's shift so going to the thursday class next week and will use my dvd . i really enjoy it and find it hard work and ache after but it gives me a much needed hour away from my stressful life.
    i also use 10 minute solution dance and kick boxing dvds there is 6 workouts on each one on a night where i'm tired i will just do 3 .
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    MaitreyeeMAYHEM Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight. I'm getting my Zumba license Sept 10 so if you have any questions about Zumba let me know. The majority of people who take Zumba loose weight because it is so intense. Upon average, every session your supposed to burn 1000 calories depending on how intense it is and how much effort you put into it. I also suggest going to a class rather than buying the wii game. i feel that in class you get more of a work out and you are more motivated by other people around you. If you absolutely can't go to a class just look up youtube videos and do choreography off of those. One of my instructors lost over 30 pounds right after she had her baby so it does work.
  • summerflowers
    Options
    i go to two classes a week , i find the zumba for the wii a bit boring now iv started going to classes but will use that or dvds if i can't make the class . there is one week in every 5 i can only make one class because my husband works shifts .
    i'm going to stick at it because it's fun just worried that i haven't been losing weight since i started it and this week iv lost 1lb . have lost a few cm's around stomach bust thighs so will carry on doing measurements :)
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    MaitreyeeMAYHEM Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Try browsing around with different teachers, you will find one that you love and suits you best. Every instructor is different and they work you out differently.
  • summerflowers
    Options
    i'm going to do one thursday which is with a different instructor :)
  • ChanMay
    ChanMay Posts: 39
    Options
    I agree with trying different instructors. The first two times I tried Zumba, I wasn't really a fan. I was barely sweating, afterwardsI didn't feel like I had a good workout. A friend told me to give it one more go and try the class she goes to. Now, I am hooked! This instructor motivates and oushes you to your limits. When class is doen, we are all soaking wet and exhausted, It feels great!!!! I had just assumed that all classes would be similiar but the intensity can very a whole lot!!!
  • TinaLTaylor79
    TinaLTaylor79 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    If your working out alot, its important to make sure your eating enough...always at least Net 1200 cals for the day. But to drop weight its alwasy important to eat the right amount of calories! So you could be not eating enough?
  • nebgurl
    nebgurl Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    How'd it go?
  • MamaMizzle
    MamaMizzle Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I just started doing Zumba as well and haven't lost more than 5 lbs. I do it 2-4 times a week and have been doing so for a few weeks. I think I am getting more toned though. I will be honest and say that I'm struggling with my diet. My cousin has been doing it for about 6 months and has lost about 50 pounds. She probably goes 4-5 days a week and she has been following a diet. So, I believe Zumba works BUT your diet has gotta be in line! Pointing finger at myself mostly. lol

Also, just because the MFP exercise database says you are burning 600-700 calories for 60 minutes of Zumba, doesn't mean it's accurate. It's all about intensity!
  • jpamplin28
    jpamplin28 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I tried it for the first time last week and just couldn't do it. I apparently have no rhythm. I might try again though.
  • Lozzy_82
    Lozzy_82 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I have lost 20lbs in the last 9 weeks and I have been doing 2 zumba casses a week. It's a great workout, but I don't think I would have lost much if I hadn't also changed my diet and added more physical activity as well.