Vegan trial?

Options
RCKT82
RCKT82 Posts: 409 Member
I'm seriously thinking about going on a 10-day vegan fast. I've been on the same diet for a very long time. I'm interested in trying something new. But the problem is, I've been a meat eater my entire life, I can't remember a day where meat wasn't in one of my meals sometime during the day.

I'm curious if anyone made the switch from eating meat every day to a 180 turn around to going vegan?

am I being too ambitious by going vegan cold turkey? should I do my 10 day trial going vegetarian rather than going pure vegan?
I'm doing it as a trial to see how my body reacts, I'm not doing it for any other reason other than experimenting.

One concern I have is protein intake, I'm very dependent on my protein shakes to hit my daily goals... it's easy to do for someone that can consume animal products.

Anyone have any advice or has anyone done a vegan fast?

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    They do make vegan protein powder. Hemp powder is one, and I think there's something else.

Quinoa is a grain that contains complete proteins. Beans and peanuts are also good sources.
  • GaiaGirl1992
    GaiaGirl1992 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    if you like beans, getting your protein should be a breeze!
    It took me about a month to get used to being veg, so I would say try vegetarian for a bit, then go vegan if you want.
  • ItsMeLori
    ItsMeLori Posts: 346
    Options
    I am getting there but not totally yet. I find it hard to get all my protein. I don't eat a lot of meat. I do protein powder, eggs, nuts, soynut butter.

Congrats on those pics you look great!!
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    I use pea protein. Much better than some of the others out there. You will have to get creative and be willing to cook very meal! I have been vegetarian for 8 years and have gone back and forth with vegan. Def use the web to get some recipes.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    I was vegetarian for eight years. I still struggle to make meat choices due to mostly forgetting that I eat meat now and have done so for nearly two years. :laugh: For example, when I go out to eat, my eyes automatically look over the appetizers list instead of even bothering with entrees because I'm so used to thinking, "They're not going to have anything I can eat here."

As as ingrained meat-free choices are for me, I will say that my short bouts with veganism were INSANELY DIFFICULT! I did a no-dairy challenge a few months ago and that was torture. I found myself painstakingly planning my meals in the morning then realizing I was eating dairy mid-meal anyway! I couldn't explain it. It was like my brain really wanted dairy. lol

So, I would HIGHLY recommend trying vegetarian first then, if you like it, transition to vegan. Or have a vegan *meal* or a vegan *day*.

Good luck and enjoy!
  • onawho
    onawho Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I would try veggie before vegan. Being vegan is tough when you realize that butter/milk/eggs/ things of this nature are in EVERYTHING.

Beans and rice form a complete protein when eaten together. Portabella mushrooms are "meaty" like, meat. I LOVE Morningstar burgers. please do not fall victim of "vegan" foods. Too much soy is not a great idea.

you could go cold turkey or, you could start by adding more fruits and vegs to your plate, less meat and wean yourself off.

I am not a fan of eating animals, but I do consume milk and dairy products, as I see them as a by-product. I do however buy organic, hormone free dairy products, since I am not a fan of large, mass-produced food assembly lines.
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Definitely try vegetarian first. You don't realize how many things have animal products until you can't eat them. My daughter just tried to go beef free (nothing from a cow) because she was nursing and the doc thought the baby might be allergic to cow. It was difficult and that's just beef.
  • UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    It is possible to shift from carnivore to vegan, but it's really hard and you might not get as much out of it as if you switched to a vegetarian diet first. I'm a vegetarian of nine years but I don't like beans!! I am also an ultra marathoner so I need plenty of protein. That makes it more difficult for me, but not impossible. I think if you would really like to give it a shot, do what one of the other posters suggested and go vegetarian but have a vegan day and see how it goes. You might really like it!! :bigsmile:
  • UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    BTW.... Your transformation is simply amazing!! Fantastic job!! :drinker:
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I'm seriously thinking about going on a 10-day vegan fast. I've been on the same diet for a very long time. I'm interested in trying something new. But the problem is, I've been a meat eater my entire life, I can't remember a day where meat wasn't in one of my meals sometime during the day.

I'm curious if anyone made the switch from eating meat every day to a 180 turn around to going vegan?

am I being too ambitious by going vegan cold turkey? should I do my 10 day trial going vegetarian rather than going pure vegan?
    I'm doing it as a trial to see how my body reacts, I'm not doing it for any other reason other than experimenting.

One concern I have is protein intake, I'm very dependent on my protein shakes to hit my daily goals... it's easy to do for someone that can consume animal products.

Anyone have any advice or has anyone done a vegan fast?

Hi.

First, I commend you for trying it out. I don't know if I could experiment and if you don't like it, that's fine, at least you tried. Okay, with that out of the way, I was also a meat eater and sugar and processed food and fast food junkie who turned into a starch based with veggie eater not too long ago.

This is what I recommend. First, study a bit about the diet and start creating a 1 or 2 day meal plan that addresses your nutrient needs. This is so important because it will decide on if this lifestyle can maintain your goals. There are protein supplements that are vegan friendly, I use rice protein.

I personally don't believe in moderation when it comes to health, so attack this trial with vigor and then there will be no judgements either way on your experiment.

Please remember that refined carbs are not the carbs we should eat. There are good carbs and there are bad carbs, just like there are good fats and bad fats and so on. You can look at my diary or others here and see what they eat and determine if the nutrition is adequate.

Your transformation is amazing and to have an open mind about changing your dietary lifestyle shows that you are fearless!
  • vampee
    vampee Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to be crude but when I went to vegan (no longer am) the biggest thing I noticed was going to the bathroom more often. But I think this is a good thing.
  • Phoebe77
    Options
    I would say start veggie as many others have said. I have been a veggie now for a little over 2 months. One thing that has helped me is books and the web like thekindlife.com where u can get info and help. I want to eventually go vegan and I know I will at some point. I can tell u that if u like dairy or eggs then veggie would be best plus u have to much to think about if u try to go completely vegan like at restaraunts when you order a salad do u want to have to remember no cheese, meat, bacon bits, and what dressing is ok. I have switched to soy and almond milk. All in all I would say is start slow and don't be upset if u can't drop the meat all at once. I think for myself it was easier b/c I had been thinking about it for a long time. Good luck and wtg so far with ur weightloss. :)
  • flipsit
    flipsit Posts: 111
    Options
    I've been vegan since April but was veggie for 17 years prior to this. The vegan society website has lots of helpful advice regarding nutrition. I feel so much healthier since I gave up dairy and it has made me look at my whole diet in a positive way.

Best of luck.
  • katekrise
    katekrise Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Some concerns... Vegans get plenty of folate (a B vitamin) from their diet, but since they do not eat animal products...they do not get vitamin B12. Vitamin B12 is necessary in order for folate to be absorbed. Also...vegetarians must be careful to have complementary proteins in their diet, so that they get all of their essential amino acids.

If you are smart with your planning...a vegan diet can be very beneficial.
  • flipsit
    flipsit Posts: 111
    Options
    B12 is available in yeast extract, margarine, breakfast cereal and soya milk or you can take a supplement. :smile:
  • sinclare
    sinclare Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I think this idea is pretty radical. Especially if you have never done it before.

Maybe try going meat-free like 3 days a week for awhile, and get used to that feeling. You will have to learn what to eat, how to eat, etc and it's a lot of work to do it well. Not saying you can't, just that you need to be realistic.

Check out Alicia Silverstone's book " The Kind Diet." It's pretty impressive. The recipes are great.

Good luck!
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Check out http://ohsheglows.com/.

The blogger is Vegan and does a lot of raw foods, too. All healthy stuff, and LOTS of good ideas. Good luck, and I'm interested in your results!