Females Only : dont feel hungry during periods

2»

Replies

• Shirlycoh1
    Shirlycoh1 Posts: 1 Member
    bdaws93 wrote: »
    Your lucky! I eat like a starved animal and get pretty mean when i'm denied food around this time

Same, I'm so hungry, especially sweets!
  • nlwrfa
    nlwrfa Posts: 118 Member
    I'm right there with you. The week leading up to it... i can't stop wanting to eat everything in sight, but as soon as I start.. I'm not hungry at all. I just make it a point to eat and keep routine even if I'm not hungry. I wake up have my oatmeal, my first break at work I have my snack, second break I have my lunch etc
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    MuseofSong wrote: »

You're eating 1000 calories or less every day you bother to log on a 1200 calorie a day diet. pfft!
    This....
    You're severely undereating, OP.

• 1Wildthang
    1Wildthang Posts: 2,660 Member
    Before my hysterectomy I couldn't eat much during periods either. I had severe pain. Pain can cause you to lose your appetite. I always tried to eat protein if nothing else for energy. Peanut
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    how about more gentle stuff such as soup or yogurt. 3 days of reduced calories won't harm you as long as your blood sugar doesn't crash.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Hi there.....i am on my periods and the problem is during first 3days of my periods when i face heavy bleeding, i dnt feel like eating anything...i hardly eat anything. Does it happen to you gals?? If yes, how do you cope up with it? If no, what should i do so that i could eat like in normal routine?

When I was younger ~ yes. It was the blood issue with me. Made me lose my appetite. Now? Not so much. When I do get grossed out feeling like a walking Butchery ~ I turn into a RawVegan for the duration. I have learnt to trick the blood profile, where it is less blood scented and more floral. The scent profile is way more bearable for me now.

Sometimes, what you're using to stem the flow can be an appetite suppressant ~ you kinda have to watch that.

ETA: Many're times you have to keep tabs on your vag pH and monitor bacteria levels. I just hate the smell of blood and that metalic smell that blood gives off.

So like... whether you choose a tampon or a pad changes your appetite? I was just a hungry bear no matter what lol. If you have found a way to be nonstinky, I'd love to know the secret. I'm postmenopausal, but we all have those not so fresh days lol.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Right before and at the start I would usually get a couple really hungry days and a couple not-hungry days. I figured it all balanced out. (The past couple of years I don't really follow that pattern anymore.)
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Yes, I get supersick, too. The thought of food is usually too much. I eat wayyyy less on my period of because I just can't gag it down.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Hi there.....i am on my periods and the problem is during first 3days of my periods when i face heavy bleeding, i dnt feel like eating anything...i hardly eat anything. Does it happen to you gals?? If yes, how do you cope up with it? If no, what should i do so that i could eat like in normal routine?

When I was younger ~ yes. It was the blood issue with me. Made me lose my appetite. Now? Not so much. When I do get grossed out feeling like a walking Butchery ~ I turn into a RawVegan for the duration. I have learnt to trick the blood profile, where it is less blood scented and more floral. The scent profile is way more bearable for me now.

Sometimes, what you're using to stem the flow can be an appetite suppressant ~ you kinda have to watch that.

ETA: Many're times you have to keep tabs on your vag pH and monitor bacteria levels. I just hate the smell of blood and that metalic smell that blood gives off.

So like... whether you choose a tampon or a pad changes your appetite? I was just a hungry bear no matter what lol. If you have found a way to be nonstinky, I'd love to know the secret. I'm postmenopausal, but we all have those not so fresh days lol.

Yeah just try those probiotic inserts. It's like inserting a tiny tampon and they keep bacterial PH a bit more balanced. Women usually use them at the end of their period. But you can use them as frequently as you like.
  • I’m the same way! The week leading up to my period, I do not feel like eating. When my period does come though, I get cravings. I think it’s normal, I brought it up to my obgyn and she said that everyone reacts differently to menstration.
  • hunnymoons
    hunnymoons Posts: 9 Member
    ntatbeeq wrote: »

When my cramps are serious and I have a heavy flow which is typically on my first two days i’m never hungry as well, it’s weird - I thought it was only me
  • AuthorNinja
    AuthorNinja Posts: 69 Member
    I don't eat much at all the day before my period and a few days after it starts. My weight drops and I think "hmm, doesn't seem legit" and then by day 4 I resume eating normally, my water weight shoots up, I think "oh lawwwd" and then by day 6 it drops again and I'm back to normal. Every single month lol :D
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    MuseofSong wrote: »
    Get checked for anemia and other blood work.

Being female, raised with females, most of my friends are females, and I can tell you right now, that's not normal.

If you're bleeding heavy AND not hungry, something is possibly wrong. You need to see a doctor.

Your body should be giving you signals to replenish itself.

OP, I just creeped your diary, you get a special message:

bush_doing_it_wrong.jpg

You're eating 1000 calories or less every day you bother to log on a 1200 calorie a day diet. pfft!

Ya, due to very large uterine fibroids I have very heavy bleeding and my body definitely gives me the "replenish me!" signals.

I don't have cramps though. I wonder if pain from cramps is an appetite suppressant for some?
  • mackfoo
    mackfoo Posts: 28 Member
    The first two weeks of your cycle, women are estrogen dominant. Estrogen typically suppresses appetite. The second two weeks women are progesterone dominant, which brings on the appetite (and sometimes other emotional factors).

At some point during your period you swing from one to the other. So your appetite is likely a reflection of the shift in your particular system.

Lyle McDonald has a new book called ‘The Women’s Book’ which discusses the hormonal shift, and how to use it in your favor. (I.e. maybe maintaining a larger deficit during the estrogen phase, and eating more during the progesterone phase, etc)