5-HTP?

Options
hello MFPals!

I have some info on this 5-HTP and just wondered if anyone has tried it

and if so with what kinds of results, side effects, good/bad/indifferent?

Helps with sleep? Reduces fatique? Helps with weight loss by

inducing a better mood or overall sense of well being?

Apparently it is extracted from the seeds of Griffonia simplicifolia,

an African tree that is grown mostly in Ghana and the Ivory Coast.

Very interesting, me thinks...thoughts? comments welcomed:flowerforyou:

Replies

• PatientBear
    Options
    Helps with weight loss by inducing a better mood or overall sense of well being?

Know what else helps with weight loss, induces a better mood and overall sense of well being? Exercise!! And it doesn't have chemically induced side effects. :wink:
  • tragicpixie
    Options
    I really like 5-HTP but, I have had off and on issues with depression for most of my life. For me, it keeps me balanced. And uh - it helped keep me more sane when I made some bad lifestyle choices in the past.

Um, I like to take it in the morning with some food because it has a tendency to upset my stomach if I take it before eating anything - and also if I eat a large meal. (I'm not a morning person at all so the only thing I can manage in the morning might be a smoothie or latte. I usually have a second breakfast 2-3 hours after I've actually rolled out of bed.)

I never noticed any effects on sleep. Just for me, it can be a mood booster - which can help me control my eating because I tend to be an emotional eater. Can't say if it gives me more energy or anything.
  • punkrawkcutie
    punkrawkcutie Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I take 5-HTP (as told by my Dr. ) for my SAD and insomnia. I haven't noticed any weight effects though. I (like the other poster) take one in the morning for my mood and one before bed for sleep. I would suggest talking to someone before you take it however, just to make sure you don't experience any side effects or contraindication with anything else you take
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    LadyOfOceanBreeze Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I really like 5-HTP but, I have had off and on issues with depression for most of my life. For me, it keeps me balanced. And uh - it helped keep me more sane when I made some bad lifestyle choices in the past.

Um, I like to take it in the morning with some food because it has a tendency to upset my stomach if I take it before eating anything - and also if I eat a large meal. (I'm not a morning person at all so the only thing I can manage in the morning might be a smoothie or latte. I usually have a second breakfast 2-3 hours after I've actually rolled out of bed.)

I never noticed any effects on sleep. Just for me, it can be a mood booster - which can help me control my eating because I tend to be an emotional eater. Can't say if it gives me more energy or anything.

Thanks for sharing! that's some real life stuff right there :) glad it helps ya'!!!
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    Options
    Helps with weight loss by inducing a better mood or overall sense of well being?

Know what else helps with weight loss, induces a better mood and overall sense of well being? Exercise!! And it doesn't have chemically induced side effects. :wink:

true that! I :heart: :heart: :heart: exercise too!!! thanks mr. large and growly bear:glasses:
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    Options
    I take 5-HTP (as told by my Dr. ) for my SAD and insomnia. I haven't noticed any weight effects though. I (like the other poster) take one in the morning for my mood and one before bed for sleep. I would suggest talking to someone before you take it however, just to make sure you don't experience any side effects or contraindication with anything else you take

nice advice & thanks for sharing your experience:flowerforyou:
  • PatientBear
    Options

true that! I :heart: :heart: :heart: exercise too!!! thanks mr. large and growly bear:glasses:

That's what I'm here for you wascally wabbit.
  • andison
    andison Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It's suggested that if you are on anti-depressants or St. Johns Wort that you check with your doctor before taking it.

For me, it causes crazy *kitten* dreams.
  • hostile17
    hostile17 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    The scienece behind 5-HTP is great, it can help with so many things.

Personally I'm not sure if I've noticed any personal difference when taking it... but I understand what it does, and maybe it helps without me knowing.

Never had any issues/side effects.
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    Options
    It's suggested that if you are on anti-depressants or St. Johns Wort that you check with your doctor before taking it.

For me, it causes crazy *kitten* dreams.

daydreams or night ones I wonders?
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    Options
    The scienece behind 5-HTP is great, it can help with so many things.

Personally I'm not sure if I've noticed any personal difference when taking it... but I understand what it does, and maybe it helps without me knowing.

Never had any issues/side effects.

thanks for posting! I appreciate that:wink:
  • andison
    andison Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Rabbit,

Night dreams, some scary, but mainly just weird.