Intermittent Fasting Roundup

Options
Hey guys, I would like to here from those out there who have tried intermittent fasting for more than 30 days. I’d like to know what your thoughts are, is it worth it, what were your results, do you have any tips for someone doing it for the first time.

Replies

• YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    As cmriverside said, it's only an eating schedule. There is nothing about it that makes weight loss faster or easier than anything else. As long as you stay in your calorie goal, with or without IF, you'll lose weight.

I eat this way because I'm less hungry if I put off eating until the afternoon. That's the only benefit to me. So if it works for you, great.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I did it for 4 months before i gave up. I was always ravenous and looking to my next meal. Didn't really lose much weight doing it. I found 3 meals much more suitable.
  • menotyou56
    menotyou56 Posts: 178 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I started on 16:8 on Dec 2 or 3 so not yet a month. The first couple of days were a little tough but then my normal ravenous appetite and cravings for high carb junk 'food' totally disappeared.

I figure a year of this will get me to my correct BMI for the first time since the 80's. As a bonus, I'm saving a lot of money on groceries.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    menotyou56 wrote: »
    I started on 16:8 on Dec 2 or 3 so not yet a month. The first couple of days were a little tough but then my normal ravenous appetite and cravings for high carb junk 'food' totally disappeared.

I figure a year of this will get me to my correct BMI for the first time since the 80's. As a bonus, I'm saving a lot of money on groceries.

I'm guessing you also combined IF with a lower carb or lower calorie plan? Or cut back on treats? That's something that can lead to a lessened desire for carbs/so called "junk" foods.

Eating on a certain schedule in and of itself is not likely to diminish carb craving.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I naturally eat in a nine hour window which allows me to have two larger meals and a small snack. This helps me with adherence to my calorie allotment as eating in the morning makes me extremely hungry. Aside from that, I have experienced no additional benefits. I have lost weight, bulked and maintained for years using this window.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    It’s a great tool that helps create a calorie deficit which is necessary for weight loss. It’s also great for building discipline which is needed for pursuing goals.

My first experience with IF was Lent 2009. I practiced it for all of Lent and lowered my BW by 16 lbs. during this period. I was age 54.

Practicing it now, age 63, and with indications of a thyroid issue, I’ve practiced it since August 31st and have dropped at a slower pace - 22 lbs. to date.

Could I achieve results without IF? Yes, but I believe building the discipline that IF cultivates is helpful. There’s no darn reason to be eating just because you feel like it. It’s hard to be hungry in America and what most of us call hunger is merely an unusually strong desire to eat from years of practice getting our way when it comes to food.

My two cents, your mileage may vary.
  • menotyou56
    Options
    menotyou56 wrote: »

I'm guessing you also combined IF with a lower carb or lower calorie plan? Or cut back on treats? That's something that can lead to a lessened desire for carbs/so called "junk" foods.

Eating on a certain schedule in and of itself is not likely to diminish carb craving.

Yes trying to keep carbs to 20 or less a day. 👍

• menotyou56
    Options

Could I achieve results without IF? Yes, but I believe building the discipline that IF cultivates is helpful. There’s no darn reason to be eating just because you feel like it. It’s hard to be hungry in America and what most of us call hunger is merely an unusually strong desire to eat from years of practice getting our way when it comes to food.

Totally agree with this. IF shows me that what I thought was hunger was really a two year old child inside of me screaming for candy and sweet stuff 90% of the time, LOL

• bernadettenz
    bernadettenz Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it for about 35 years.
    It's just the way I naturally eat.
    Tbh I don't really understand why people do it as a "thing".
    Just eat whatever way suits you best and lower your calories.
    If I'm at work I eat 2 meals a day. Light lunch around 12 and big dinner around 5.
    If I'm not at work I usually eat a high calorie meal once a day around 3-4pm. This is my preferred way to eat as I only start to feel hungry around 2pm. I don't like being hungry.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    IF works very well for me.

I eat pretty much at noon and 7pm every day. I have coffee in the morning. My only big problem is I eat terribly at night... 9pm to midnight... shows and snacks the whole time. So, IF prevents me from the snacking problem.

But it's just an eating schedule and won't really be the cause of weight loss, rather the restricted calories will be.