Breakfast on the go help!

Options
So my biggest issue is breakfast, diet wise. I eat healthy for lunch and dinner, snacks can go either way, but breakfast I always end up pigging out! Part of the problem is how my work schedule conflicts with when I feel hungry. I open the infant room in a preschool, so I'm awake and out the door at 4am- not exactly when I'm feeling hungry. We aren't allowed to keep food in the classrooms, and we don't have a fridge in the breakroom, so I've been making due with whatever quick breakfast sandwich I can get, because they're a buck and I work four minutes away from a QT. By lunchtime I'm off work and at home, so I can have something homemade and easier to control, but breakfast kicks my *kitten* because after I have that awful breakfast sandwich, it usually kick starts a little mini-binge, and I'll eat a handful of goldfish crackers or something dumb as well. I was looking for ideas on pinterest, but since I'm also starting the keto diet next week, I have no real idea where to start...

Does anyone have any ideas for healthy, filling breakfasts that don't need to be refrigerated and are keto friendly??

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Do you grab the sandwich while you're on break? Is there a break room to eat in or can you go to your car? If there's a break room where you can heat something, you might try egg muffins (baked eggs in a cupcake pan.) Or just pack cold boiled eggs or something like cold leftover baked chicken.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    A lot of people like cold overnight oatmeal. It will be fine for a few hours unrefrigerated, or you could take a small lunchbag cooler with an ice pack. Or hard boiled eggs. Or make your own breakfast sandwich with calorie friendly ingredients--whole wheat English muffin, hard boiled egg, slice of turkey, etc. You can eat cold or pop in microwave if you have one available at work.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    How about breakfast muffins?
    You can add virtually anything.
    https://everydaysavvy.com/make-ahead-sausage-egg-cheese-muffins-recipe/

Or freeze and nuke breakfast burritos with eggs, meat, cheese, and a tortilla?

Or just a quest bar or a Kirkland Protein bar.

I hate eating breakfast but feel nauseous if I don't, so often that's my go-to.
  • natalieramirezz07
    Options
    Protein Bar
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    It's o.k. not to eat when you are not hungry.
    1) Skip the breakfast.
    2) Take two protein bars and an apple or pear or some plums with you for lunch at work.
    3) When you get home, you can have a bigger meal. :)
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    Don't know the work set up where you are, but if room was available and management was amenable, maybe you could see if other staff would like to all pitch in and get some kind of mini-fridge for the break room? I would bet you aren't the only one who wishes there was one!

For foods, I found bento boxes really helpful (Japanese lunch boxes, basically). These are small, work as both lunch box AND plate/bowl for the food you are eating. They are typically a little small, so you can only fit so much food into them (helps prevent eating more than intended).And you can make them the night before and just grab it to take to work. Many of them come with insulated little bags, or even small ice packs made to fit the bags, so you can have it in the break room and it'll keep until you need it, even without a refrigerator.

most bentos have at least two sections, one that was for rice, and one for meats/eggs and veg (or fruit). You could use the meat/egg and veg part as is, you know? Just make some meat one day a week and freeze in small portions to use in the bento later. Chop some veg once a week, too. make eggs the night before, maybe (there are some fun little rolled omelets that are popular for bentos that there are tons of recipes for.

And for rice, could make cauliflower rice, maybe with a little cheese, even. Or have some cottage cheese dish there. Or zucchini noodles with a little sauce, maybe? (depends on if you can heat up anything, I imagine). Or big lettuce type leaves to wrap up the other foods in, maybe. Or if you need more meat, could have small meatballs or chicken that is good cold, maybe?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with the breakfast sandwich, just fit it into your daily goals.

It seems that it is the after-snacking that is a problem. Most of us don't have a lot of room for snacking if we're trying to stick to a calorie goal. So, pre-plan those calories. Pre-logging breakfast is one way. Some people find that pre-logging the entire day is helpful. Then you will see whether or not a handful of Goldfish is a problem.

Also, I have a small insulated lunch bag I take with me, with one of those blue-ice refreezable things in it. No refrigeration necessary, I can put it in my locker or wherever I keep my purse.