Is it bad to lift w/o shoes?

Options
jaciejaciexoxo
jaciejaciexoxo Posts: 49 Member
edited December 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
I’ve seen a lot of bodybuilders do this but the reason I’m curious is bc I grew up barefoot, I’ve really don’t like to wear shoes unless of course I’m going out in public...I find that I am much more stable barefoot & have so much more control and mind muscle connection when lifting that way...I know shoes protect your feet from things falling on them & help ppl w/ feet/ankle problems but other than that is it bad? Just wondering

Replies

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    For me, no. I lift at home without shoes all the time. Just be careful to not drop a weight! Otherwise, yes, barefoot gives me more stability.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Well, it's against the rules at some gyms for safety reasons, but no, it's not bad. If you are lifting super heavy and have weak arches, your arches may need support, but otherwise it's good to use the muscles in your feet for balance.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,517 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I prefer to work out barefoot as my stability is better then as well. But I work out at home, and worked out in the past in a small gym that belonged to a gated community kind of thing in the Middle East. No rules there other than the unwritten rule to expect the unexpected as nobody was watching the gym or maintaining anything.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    For me, no. I lift at home without shoes all the time. Just be careful to not drop a weight! Otherwise, yes, barefoot gives me more stability.

I train barefoot also - Squats - Deadlift etc. I lift at home & the room is carpeted.
    I'm also carful when I drop the weights
  • cogirljb55
    cogirljb55 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    At a gym I'd wear shoes, but they are a lifting show so not a lot of padding. Since I got a rack and weights at home and started lifting at home, I don't wear shoes and actually like it better.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    Well, it's against the rules at some gyms for safety reasons, but no, it's not bad. If you are lifting super heavy and have weak arches, your arches may need support, but otherwise it's good to use the muscles in your feet for balance.

Also probably against the rules at all gyms in some jurisdictions because of public health rules.
  • RealWorldStrengthLLC
    Options
    I squat and deadlift no shoes and am a big proponent of doing so.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    Just another vote for barefoot lifting here. I find it easier to maintain good form and balance. I haven't dropped anything on my feet yet (although I probably just jinxed myself :s)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Just another vote for barefoot lifting here. I find it easier to maintain good form and balance. I haven't dropped anything on my feet yet (although I probably just jinxed myself :s)

To be fair, unless you wear work boots, your shoes are unlikely to protect you from most weights dropped on them.

I go socks only for deadlifts. For other lifts I use my squat shoes.
  • somethingsoright
    somethingsoright Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    LOL, and here I thought I was the only person lifting in my bare feet at home.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Bare feet. The nerves in our feet communicate with our muscles, joints, connective tissue higher up etc. If our feet cannot feel, our body cannot properly support us while lifting. I am barefoot as much as humanly possible. And have membership in a gym with 24hr, unstaffed, unsupervised, access. I wear my vibram toe shoes when there are others in the gym, but when it is empty, I am barefoot.