Eating less carbs

Options
I would like to eat a lot less carbs, but when I do I get constipated. Any suggestions to avoid this?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    When you eat less carbs, do you cut out fruit?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    How low is your carbohydrate goal? Are you still able to get at least 25 grams of fiber per day?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,259 Member
    Options
    Are you also cutting down/out fat, by any chance? (I know increasing fat is common among those going low carb, but we do occasionally see someone who isn't doing it that way. Adequate fat intake and hydration, along with fiber, are crucial for good digestive throughput. Beyond that, some micronutrients can matter for some people, but the issue is more often found in fiber/hydration/fat.)

It can take a couple of weeks or so for one's body to adapt to a new way of eating, but if you're constipated to the point of not going at all, or abdominal discomfort, then that's not something to let go for very long.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Do you keep in vegetables and fruit? Do you go super low on fiber? And yeah, how's your fat?
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    My guess is you tossed out your primary fiber sources while adding more foods that naturally cause slight blockages/slowdowns.

You'll have to let everyone know more.
  • oedipuss
    oedipuss Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Handful of prunes usually gets me going again.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    When I did very low carb eating, I would take chewable fiber tablets. When I gradually increased my intake of carbs to include more fruit, then I didn't have the problem any more.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    Add a couple tablespoons of flax meal to your daily consumption. More likely than not, your problem will be solved.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    What sorts of carbs do you eat now?
    How many grams a day?
  • LZMiner
    LZMiner Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I don’t eat low carb but I do try to avoid a lot of processed and filler foods and that ends up being less carbs.
  • NewNewMe1989
    NewNewMe1989 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have been eating little to know carbs. The only carbs I have been eating comes from veggies. I have not been eating sugar. The only sugar I have comes from fruit. I exercise 6 days a week. 5 days of strength and resistance training and 6 days of cardio for 45-60 minutes. For some reason the fat is just not coming off. Any suggestions may help