One tablespoon of coconut oil a day?

Options
Anyone take a tablespoon of coconut a day and obtained weigh loss or other benefits?

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    When you say "take" do people say you should straight up eat a tablespoon of coconut oil, or are you mixing it with something? I get it in my head that people are sticking coconut oil in a shot glass and slurping it out a la jello shots.

Either way, I'd rather eat something else that keeps me full longer. A couple of eggs comes to mind. I'm short, so I only have so many calories. Gotta make it worth it.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    There is no food that has special weight loss properties.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I eat a half T (7 g) each day because that's what I use to cook my eggs. But no individual food item is going to cause you to lose fat faster.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I cook with coconut oil because it's delicious. It's just oil though, it isn't going to do anything special for you. If you like spending 120 calories on it, then go for it.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Yeah,if you like it use it,a few years ago they kept hyping coconut oil as some kind of "cure all" I doubt it has healing properties like they were trying to claim
  • whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I think it was showing signs of being able to benefit Alzheimer's patients (although maybe that's been debunked), but I don't think it will help with weight loss unless it satiates you so much that you eat less.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I have lost 32lbs without ever using/tasting coconut oil.

But I do eat within my calorie goal (mostly) That seems to be the "one secret trick" that works for everyone. :):):)

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,447 Member
    Options
    I eat a little coconut oil frequently as part of my weight management regimen . . . in the form of utterly fabulous, locally-made, mouth-melting chocolates. They're hypoallergenic and organic, but I don't really care: They're 80 calories of pure indulgent deliciousness. Other than that, I just use coconut oil occasionally in baking.

There's nothing magic about it, and it's high in calories, like all fats. Nuts or seeds might be a better choice, for healthy fats, because we do need to eat fats. MUFAs and PUFAs seem to have a good track record, research-wise.
  • dulcitonia
    dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Tried to take a tsp of coconut oil a couple of times in the past.... for me it was horrible nausea :(
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    whoami67 wrote: »
    I think it was showing signs of being able to benefit Alzheimer's patients (although maybe that's been debunked), but I don't think it will help with weight loss unless it satiates you so much that you eat less.

I think that's about it. The MCTs in coconut oil will raise ketones which can be beneficiL to some neurological and cognitive diseases or problems.

For weight loss, it's only beneficiL if it helps with satiation.... Or diarrhea if you take too much too fast.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I take a couple of tablespoons maybe once a week when I pop popcorn. It is the best oil for popping up really light, tender kernels.