Organic lifestyle??

Options
Hi y’all!
I am looking start to eat organic food & less meat. Does anyone have any tips on where to shop and finding discounts? (I am a college student- so also maintaining this with a busy schedule)
I have a Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s near me if that helps :)
Thanks!!!

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Shop the ads and share bulk purchases with fellow students.

Whole chicken is always cheaper then the cut up bird. The leftover chicken carcass makes a great soup.

Save the peelings and ends you chop off the vegetable( because organic is expensive) collect them in a bag and store in the freezer. When it comes time to make the chicken soup you will have the vegetables ready to go.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Depends on your reasons for eating organic. My personal preference is to eat as locally as possible and so I prioritize local farms (which in season can be less expensive if you have access, but won't be everywhere), and don't actually care about organic except that many of the local farms I like also are organic (as it's an overlapping niche market). So for local in general, some will be certified organic, some won't (some don't want to bother going through the certification, many of course simply are not organic). But for things like taste and supporting something other than huge agri-business, this is what I want. If it's about avoiding the non organically-certified pesticides, then you may not care about any other things, and then the cheapest will be looking for specials -- if you have amazon prime you may want to check out WF deals, and TJ's is often cheaper (no clue about their produce, since I rarely buy produce there). They also have weekly specials and coupons which you can find by looking at your location online.

Right now (if you are in the US), very little is actually in season, so your best bet is probably going to be frozen veg, which are often cheap anyway, and last a good white. There are different organic brands, again I'd look for specials.

For eating less meat, identify some staple meals that don't require meat and start working them in. I do a lot with eggs, beans/lentils, and tofu/tempeh (which are usually organic and non GMO if you care about that, at WF -- I don't really, but that's just where I tend to buy them). Lots of people are into seitan and make their own. Oats can be a nice easy staple breakfast, and greek yogurt will up the protein.

Eating less meat may well help your budget go down, depending on what you replace it with.
  • angel7472
    angel7472 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    There's great debate regarding organic really being organic. This debate has been going on for ages. I can tell you from personal experience that I try to grow organic. The problem I personally have is that my house backs up to a corn field. Even though I don't use pesticides or anything for my plants that I grow. The farmer behind me does. He sprays his field and has crop dusters come out. If the wind is blowing the right way I can smell it in my house. If I can smell it then my plants got hit with these chemicals too.
    Now another aspect is the creek that runs behind my house. This creek irrigates my plants I'm sure or at least the ground water. So the runoff from my happy farmer behind me has surely run into this creek or into the soil leaching into the ground water. So again I may be trying to reduce chemicals but there is no possible way for me to actually eliminate them all together. For something to be truly organic would mean none of these chemicals.
    I do buy organic at the store but not exclusively. If the organic looks rotten or bad I will buy regular. I try to buy organic for the dirty dozen at least. Try being the key word.
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I don’t eat this way, but I’ve seen “organic” labeled canned vegetables and beans that don’t seem to be too much more expensive than regular especially if you buy “store brand” and/or on sale. I don’t know about frozen but it’s probably similar. Best bet is to grow your own food, many vegetables and herbs can grow just fine in pots. Shop at the local farmers markets at the end of the day and barter with them to buy whatever produce they didn’t sell that day at a discounted price. Also another vote to buy dried legumes and/or rice in bulk, it can really go a long way.
  • lemurcat2
    edited December 2018
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Buy in bulk if you can, especially considering that you roughly pay 2-3x the price for no additional benefit.

Really? How do you not receive benefits from eating organic fruits and vegetables? What's your source?

There is just little evidence that organic foods provide any additional benefits than non organic foods. People believe organic is better because it sounds "better". And some automatically think natural is better, even though there are a lot of thinks that are natural that can kill us.

https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2012/09/little-evidence-of-health-benefits-from-organic-foods-study-finds.html

If anything, i would and try to buy local just to support local business.

This plus if you can eat it closer to when it is picked (and they can pick it riper) it is likely to have more of the nutrients. This is also why frozen can be not only cheaper out of season, but also more nutritious.

Not sure why people would think organic has more nutrients.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Buy in bulk if you can, especially considering that you roughly pay 2-3x the price for no additional benefit.

Really? How do you not receive benefits from eating organic fruits and vegetables? What's your source?

There is just little evidence that organic foods provide any additional benefits than non organic foods. People believe organic is better because it sounds "better". And some automatically think natural is better, even though there are a lot of thinks that are natural that can kill us.

https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2012/09/little-evidence-of-health-benefits-from-organic-foods-study-finds.html

This plus if you can eat it closer to when it is picked (and they can pick it riper) it is likely to have more of the nutrients. This is also why frozen can be not only cheaper out of season, but also more nutritious.

That last point is what always puzzled me about articles "debunking" organic on the basis of its nutritional equivalence to traditional produce -- why would anyone think that there would be a difference in nutrition? It always seemed like a straw man.

To the extent that I buy organic, I do so for the agricultural workers exposed to the pesticides and herbicides to a much greater degree than consumers are, and as my little gesture of resistance to monoculture, which I consider a stupid risk to global food security. Organic farmers are at least growing a different variety of crops from traditional farmers locked into varieties developed to be resistant to the non-organic herbicides they apply to their fields. I buy a mix of organic and traditional, influenced mostly by what looks and smells the best, since I'm fortunate not to be on a tight food budget these days. For anyone who is on a budget, buying organic out of a mistaken belief that it will make a difference to their own health is a waste of money.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options

That last point is what always puzzled me about articles "debunking" organic on the basis of its nutritional equivalence to traditional produce -- why would anyone think that there would be a difference in nutrition? It always seemed like a straw man.

To the extent that I buy organic, I do so for the agricultural workers exposed to the pesticides and herbicides to a much greater degree than consumers are, and as my little gesture of resistance to monoculture, which I consider a stupid risk to global food security. Organic farmers are at least growing a different variety of crops from traditional farmers locked into varieties developed to be resistant to the non-organic herbicides they apply to their fields. I buy a mix of organic and traditional, influenced mostly by what looks and smells the best, since I'm fortunate not to be on a tight food budget these days. For anyone who is on a budget, buying organic out of a mistaken belief that it will make a difference to their own health is a waste of money.

Right, when I buy organic it is because lack of pesticides rather than any expectation of more nutrients.

If I'm getting potatoes locally I don't worry about organic certification because my local farmers do not use the practices described in the link below. (The organophosphate pesticide Monitor has since been withdrawn from the market.) But when I am buying potatoes in the supermarket I do buy organic.

https://www.nytimes.com/1998/10/25/magazine/playing-god-in-the-garden.html
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    laureneh01 wrote: »
    Hi y’all!
    I am looking start to eat organic food & less meat. Does anyone have any tips on where to shop and finding discounts? (I am a college student- so also maintaining this with a busy schedule)
    I have a Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s near me if that helps :)
    Thanks!!!

In your situation I would:

1. For produce, focus on buying these organic https://www.ewg.org/foodnews/dirty-dozen.php (or local when in season). See also https://www.ewg.org/foodnews/clean-fifteen.php
    2. Nuts are a better source of fat than protein, but still a staple for everyone I know who eats less meat. My TJ's has great prices on nuts.
    3. To reduce meat, eat more legumes. Should be good prices in the bulk section of Whole Foods. Not sure about prices at TJ's. Hopefully you have access to a kitchen. Here are recipes featuring beans and legumes: https://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/search/ ?f[0]=field_recipe_main_ingredient:789

I made an unnecessarily complicated Cuban Rice & Beans tonight with just a little sausage in an attempt to pacify my OH, who did complain that there wasn't enough meat. Here's a simpler and meatless version that looks good: https://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/cuban-black-beans-and-rice (although I would use more chili powder, if using - my recipe called for 4 teaspoons of cumin.)

It will probably make an immense amount, so you can freeze leftovers. I save plastic food containers in various sizes for freezing food. I use freezer tape to label them. (Looks like masking tape but sticks in the freezer. It's usually near the ziploc bags.)

You could spend a few hours one day cooking up a storm so you have a variety of meals for most of the week.
  • jamesjeffsmith
    jamesjeffsmith Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    many college areas have food coops at reasonable prices even if you don't work it. Also weekly farmers markets = go 15 minutes before closing. most don't want to haul it home, and will sell cheaply
  • lemurcat2
    edited December 2018
    Options

I buy local and at farms that use interesting varietals for a similar reason. I don't actually care about organic vs not (I'd much rather buy at a farm I'm familiar with than some BigOrganic product), but I do care about supporting the farmers and the market and what they are trying to do, and I find often there's a taste difference. To some extent you can get deals this way in season, but very often you pay more to support an alternative supply (which appeals to a market where people will pay more), and I'm okay with that but also believe it's a luxury and no one should be told they need to do it to be healthy.

At this time of year when nothing is in season and produce at farmer's markets is very limited (even if they are open -- a big one in my city is open, but many places they would not be), I buy fruits and veg at the store and pretty much a combination of conventional and organic depending in part on what it is, how it looks, and price.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

The reason is that some proponents of organic food actually do make the claim that organic fruits and vegetables have greater nutritional value than non-organic ones. You'll hear claims that having to fight off pests/weeds adds to the nutrients or that non-organic soil is inferior and creates food with less nutritional value.
  • whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I'd prioritize familiarizing yourself with the Environmental Working Group's dirty dozen plus and clean 15 when choosing which organics you can afford.

If you shop at local farmers markets, shop at the end of the market. Often at closing time, they mark the produce way down. Get to know the farmers so you know which food is organic even if it isn't certified organic. The certification is very expensive and some organic farmers can't afford it.

You may want to investigate what CSA shares are available in your area and if they would meet your needs.